Class Action Lawsuit Against Mazda Over USB/Bluetooth Music Issue?

...like a said any lawyer will argue that the unit works and that this is all that was to be delivered when they sold the car. It sounds wrong and arrogant on Mazda's part, but they are in business to make money.
There's one problem with your argument - there's one area where the head unit displays an error message, Mazda has acknowledged the error, and "promised" a fix for it (which they've not delivered.)

When using an iPod classic (5G or better) which Mazda claimed to support for the 2014 and 2015 models, switching between radio modes will cause the iPod to stop working completely, and display "iPod Error" on the display. While they can argue that it's "supposed" to not resume, it's supposed to take 20 minutes to start playing, etc... The "iPod Error" is something they haven't claimed is "normal", and by their own admission on a public website is NOT normal/expected behavior. As well, it's something that they haven't fixed.

That being said, I don't think a class action would do much good. It's not a safety issue, so there'd be no way to push it through the system quickly. It'd be 10 years before it saw a court room, and I doubt anyone would be able to produce a functioning classic iPod that hadn't been modified (changing the battery is a modification) in another 10 years.

However, I'm all for people pursuing individual lawsuits against Mazda. If for no other reason than their breach of warranty in not fixing the iPod classic issue. The other issues could be argued as well, and different mediators or juries would find differently. Why sue them? Because we paid for a specific feature, Mazda promised that specific feature, and they are failing to repair or replace whatever is required to full fill that. Sure, the lawyers get rich, but I'm not going to allow myself to get screwed over just to prevent a lawyer from making money.

(I recently settled a warranty lawsuit with Ford, and while I have to admit that my lawyer got WAY more money than they deserved, it was at Ford's expense, not mine.)

Anyway, IF the cost of defending dozens of lawsuits becomes great enough, Mazda might get off their lazy rear ends and actually fix the problems (or replace the units.)

So what we do know is that Mazda is replacing the hardware in 2016. This will be their fix which tells me that the current head unit is either not software fixable through software updates, or they just haven't figured it out yet. If the current head unit is not fixable the question becomes will Mazda recall it and put in the new one. My bet is no because they just don't sell enough and the very small sampling ratio of complaints on a message board is not going to influence them. Evidently this issue is not effecting sales by Mazda sales standards and if the new head unit next year addresses the issue, the complaints will die out. By the time the dust settles all future cars will eventually have built in hard drives for music leaving no need to connect iPods or phones. This feature is already available in many luxury car brands now.

By the time the dust settles all future cars will eventually have built in hard drives for music leaving no need to connect iPods or phones. This feature is already available in many luxury car brands now.

Actually many implementations have been scuttled due to licensing. I have this in my '07 G35x. It either plays the music on drive that was ripped from CD or from an SD Card in a CF Adapter. Infiniti bailed on this option a few years back though.

Ford and GM sued for millions over CD-ripping tech in cars

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...or-millions-over-cd-ripping-tech-in-cars.html

All children instinctively know it. A few adults still remember it.
In the language of grown-ups, it refers to the exhilaration and
liberation of experiencing the emotion of motion.
Children simply call it Zoom-Zoom.
At Mazda, we believe a car should be more than just a means of transportation.
That's why we design and build the cars we do.
Zoom-Zoom—let us re-awaken it in you today.

Turn off the tunes and DRIVE

So what we do know is that Mazda is replacing the hardware in 2016. This will be their fix which tells me that the current head unit is either not software fixable through software updates, or they just haven't figured it out yet. If the current head unit is not fixable the question becomes will Mazda recall it and put in the new one. My bet is no because they just don't sell enough and the very small sampling ratio of complaints on a message board is not going to influence them. Evidently this issue is not effecting sales by Mazda sales standards and if the new head unit next year addresses the issue, the complaints will die out. By the time the dust settles all future cars will eventually have built in hard drives for music leaving no need to connect iPods or phones. This feature is already available in many luxury car brands now.

Hard drives? No, unlimited streaming with a monthly fee is where it's at. I haven't 'bought' a song since Spotify became available in North America. Nobody under the age of 35 buys albums anymore. It's the main reason why Apple bought Beats (their streaming service) and there are a dozen other services trying to get in on that action.

Eventually these services will be embedded in the infotainment, until then, using my phone over bluetooth is how I do it. I actually have Spotify put select playlists on my phone so I don't use up data, but if I uninstall Spotify or stop paying the $10 monthly fee, that music becomes unavailable. I greatly prefer this than go back to paying $10+ for every album that I'll likely stop listening to in a few months.

Hard drives? No, unlimited streaming with a monthly fee is where it's at. I haven't 'bought' a song since Spotify became available in North America. Nobody under the age of 35 buys albums anymore. It's the main reason why Apple bought Beats (their streaming service) and there are a dozen other services trying to get in on that action.

Eventually these services will be embedded in the infotainment, until then, using my phone over bluetooth is how I do it. I actually have Spotify put select playlists on my phone so I don't use up data, but if I uninstall Spotify or stop paying the $10 monthly fee, that music becomes unavailable. I greatly prefer this than go back to paying $10+ for every album that I'll likely stop listening to in a few months.

Same here on my 2011 BMW, it lets you rip CDs to the hard drive, dump music to the hard drive via USB or play it from usb sticks. The issue is the drive in my 2011 is not big enough to hold all my music so I just keep it on my 64 gig Iphone. The problem with streaming is your always going to pay whether it's the service or using your own data. Since I am an old classic rock guy I have thousands of choices and never have to worry about the new stuff! GM now has wifi enabled cars, but again it cost $30.00 per month.

Same here on my 2011 BMW, it lets you rip CDs to the hard drive, dump music to the hard drive via USB or play it from usb sticks. The issue is the drive in my 2011 is not big enough to hold all my music so I just keep it on my 64 gig Iphone. The problem with streaming is your always going to pay whether it's the service or using your own data. Since I am an old classic rock guy I have thousands of choices and never have to worry about the new stuff! GM now has wifi enabled cars, but again it cost $30.00 per month.

Hard drives also create a warranty and repair issue for the manufacturer and owner as some percentage will inevitably fail over the life of the vehicle. I think it makes more sense if the owner has a large collection of music to supply their own storage.

No lawsuit. Same as suing Microsoft for putting a new operating out before the bugs are worked out. A suit will go nowhere, injure the company reputation and frustrate the rest.

I think the issue is actually with Apple not Mazda. For example my wife's IPod has had issues with error messages with aftermarket speaker docks. All three of the Android based phones I owned and used with my CX5 worked flawlessly with my HU but my iPhone 5s sometimes does strange things or won't connect in the same way each time I go to use it. Also infotainment connectivity issues are issues with all auto manufacturers in one way, shape, or form according to CR.

Hi all, I formerly worked for a class action law firm specializing in consumer and antitrust issues in Washington, DC. I passed this thread along to them and after having a chance to do some preliminary research, they wish to investigate it further. If anyone is serious about pursuing a class action against Mazda for their CX-5's infotainment system issues, please direct message me and I will get you in contact with the lawyers at the firm.

Hi all, I formerly worked for a class action law firm specializing in consumer and antitrust issues in Washington, DC. I passed this thread along to them and after having a chance to do some preliminary research, they wish to investigate it further. If anyone is serious about pursuing a class action against Mazda for their CX-5's infotainment system issues, please direct message me and I will get you in contact with the lawyers at the firm.

Of course they're interested, they only want to stuff their pockets; they don't really care about helping the consumer. The whole idea of this is morally wrong. Like I said before suing Mazda isn't going to change a thing. It's only going to hurt Mazda corporation, make the lawyers rich, and do nothing for us or the issues you have with your infotainment systems. If some people feel so strongly about their Mazda infotainment systems not working as well as they think it should than the best thing to do is not buy another Mazda. By voting with your wallet, you will send a clear message to Mazda. This will in turn force Mazda to innovate and become better, which will both benefit Mazda and you. Don't forget that Apple Corporation is to blame. Typically android has less issues.

Don't join this lawsuit just for a small handout. You will only become part of the problem and not part of the solution. I personally would like to see companies like Mazda stay in the game. Even though Mazda is just a small player in the automotive world, the competition they create helps make all automobiles be the best they can be. Necessity is the mother of all innovation.

That is just too cool!

Of course they're interested, they only want to stuff their pockets; they don't really care about helping the consumer.
While I tend to agree with you concerning class action suits, I don't feel that making use of a lawyer in general is a Bad Thing. Before anyone flames me for that, hear me out:

Mazda has been making excuses for nearly 2 years (more if you consider the 2013 CX-9) on this issue. They've promised a fix at least for the "iPod Error" message when switching modes for the same amount of time. I, and MANY other people paid for an upgraded audio system that includes iPod support, and even if you want to believe that it's acceptable for bluetooth errors, losing the current track, shuffle issue, etc - it's NOT acceptable for the device to play songs on a completely different playlist (as I've documented previously) and as I've mentioned, Mazda has already admitted that "iPod Error" is a flaw (and had promised a fix.. eventually.)

There are only 3 possible ways to "resolve" this. First (and what Mazda seems to want) is that the customer just sucks it up and suffers (or not suffer: many don't care about iPod support and the bluetooth is "good enough.") Second is to wait for Mazda to deliver a promised fix (which has been available in the EU for a few months now, but still doesn't exist in the US.) Third is to replace the head unit with something aftermarket.

I'm not going to just suck it up. Sorry, but I paid extra money for upgraded audio, iPod support, bluetooth, GPS, and so on. I expect to get what I paid for and Mazda has a LEGAL responsibility to fulfill the terms of the warranty - just as I had a legal responsibility to pay for the car. They got my money - where's my working ipod support?

I'm tired of waiting for Mazda to fix the issue. They've had 2 (or more?) years. In my case, they've had about 19 months since my first repair visit with the iPod issue. I'm NOT going to wait until the 3 year portion of the warranty has expired before I pursue other means. Mazda has demonstrated to me by constantly promising something "next season" (and never delivering) that they have no or little interest in resolving my problem. Perhaps the courts could compel them to have more interest. For that, I'd need a lawyer, though.

That leaves replacing the unit. That, however, is more expensive than it sounds to get back to what a person paid for... The head unit, sirius unit, bluetooth, GPS, backup camera, and voice commands are all tied together - so if you replace the head unit with something aftermarket, you have to buy other stuff to get what you paid for. I did some price checking on crutchfield and a local audio installer about 6 months ago. At that time, there was only one head unit (a top of the line Kenwood unit) that offered voice commands as well as supporting everything else (with add-ons.) The total cost BEFORE installation charges... just for the head unit, a replacement (12v) backup camera, sirius unit, face plate adapter, wiring harness, antenna harness and other PARTS was about $1,700.00 (from crutchfield.) I couldn't get a firm estimate on the professional installation.. he basically just told me that it would be over $500 (but could run higher depending on what issues he encounters.)

Keep in mind that this "replace the unit" resolution has a target of replacing every feature that I'd lose by taking out the factory head unit. One feature that can't be replaced is easy access to change certain car settings. That would be lost. (On the other hand, I'd end up gaining some things from the replacement head unit.)

So... where do I get an extra $2,300 to "fix" what mazda is leaving broken? I've asked Mazda's customer service for the money. (I really did.) They said no. They did offer to buy me some floor mats, though. (No, thanks.) So, again, my only recourse is the courts to compel mazda to give me the money to provide what I ALREADY PAID FOR.

Okay - so now someone is going to say that I should have tested the car before I bought it. Actually, I did test in a 2013 model and the iPod worked. I was assured that the radio in the 2013 was the same as the 2014. Lied to, I guess. (Actually, the dealership probably had no clue that they were different.) As well, I did test that my iPod played when I test drove the specific car I drove home. It did. What I didn't do was to change modes (to show the iPod error), or change playlists (to realize that it wouldn't play from the proper playlist on an ipod classic gen5.)

I also didn't test the "smart city breaking" thing by trying to run into the car in front of me, I didn't test the traction control by driving on ice, and I didn't test that the airbags would deploy by doing a head-on collision with a brick wall. It's perfectly reasonable for a consumer to accept the word of a seller without testing every detail. Especially when the merchandise comes with a warranty, and the sale is covered by state/federal laws.

(Ironically, the people who scream things like "buyer beware" will be the first people to return a defective LED or something.)

So, the only way for me to get any remedy at all is to go to the courts. That means a lawyer. I'd likely make a fool of myself in a courtroom without a lawyer, just as I'd make a fool of myself trying to rebuild an engine or doing brain surgery. Will it enrich the lawyer? Probably. However, if the "cost" of solving my problem is that a lawyer makes some money in the process, then so be it. I'd feel the same way about the mechanic if my engine had to be rebuilt and about the surgeon if I needed brain surgery.

What other choice do I have? Mazda has done NOTHING to make this better for me. (At least with the lawyer suing Mazda, my worst case scenario is that I'm exactly where I am today. Best case is that Mazda fixes the damn problem or pays me to have a replacement unit put in.)

While I tend to agree with you concerning class action suits, I don't feel that making use of a lawyer in general is a Bad Thing. Before anyone flames me for that, hear me out:

Mazda has been making excuses for nearly 2 years (more if you consider the 2013 CX-9) on this issue. They've promised a fix at least for the "iPod Error" message when switching modes for the same amount of time. I, and MANY other people paid for an upgraded audio system that includes iPod support, and even if you want to believe that it's acceptable for bluetooth errors, losing the current track, shuffle issue, etc - it's NOT acceptable for the device to play songs on a completely different playlist (as I've documented previously) and as I've mentioned, Mazda has already admitted that "iPod Error" is a flaw (and had promised a fix.. eventually.)

There are only 3 possible ways to "resolve" this. First (and what Mazda seems to want) is that the customer just sucks it up and suffers (or not suffer: many don't care about iPod support and the bluetooth is "good enough.") Second is to wait for Mazda to deliver a promised fix (which has been available in the EU for a few months now, but still doesn't exist in the US.) Third is to replace the head unit with something aftermarket.

I'm not going to just suck it up. Sorry, but I paid extra money for upgraded audio, iPod support, bluetooth, GPS, and so on. I expect to get what I paid for and Mazda has a LEGAL responsibility to fulfill the terms of the warranty - just as I had a legal responsibility to pay for the car. They got my money - where's my working ipod support?

I'm tired of waiting for Mazda to fix the issue. They've had 2 (or more?) years. In my case, they've had about 19 months since my first repair visit with the iPod issue. I'm NOT going to wait until the 3 year portion of the warranty has expired before I pursue other means. Mazda has demonstrated to me by constantly promising something "next season" (and never delivering) that they have no or little interest in resolving my problem. Perhaps the courts could compel them to have more interest. For that, I'd need a lawyer, though.

That leaves replacing the unit. That, however, is more expensive than it sounds to get back to what a person paid for... The head unit, sirius unit, bluetooth, GPS, backup camera, and voice commands are all tied together - so if you replace the head unit with something aftermarket, you have to buy other stuff to get what you paid for. I did some price checking on crutchfield and a local audio installer about 6 months ago. At that time, there was only one head unit (a top of the line Kenwood unit) that offered voice commands as well as supporting everything else (with add-ons.) The total cost BEFORE installation charges... just for the head unit, a replacement (12v) backup camera, sirius unit, face plate adapter, wiring harness, antenna harness and other PARTS was about $1,700.00 (from crutchfield.) I couldn't get a firm estimate on the professional installation.. he basically just told me that it would be over $500 (but could run higher depending on what issues he encounters.)

Keep in mind that this "replace the unit" resolution has a target of replacing every feature that I'd lose by taking out the factory head unit. One feature that can't be replaced is easy access to change certain car settings. That would be lost. (On the other hand, I'd end up gaining some things from the replacement head unit.)

So... where do I get an extra $2,300 to "fix" what mazda is leaving broken? I've asked Mazda's customer service for the money. (I really did.) They said no. They did offer to buy me some floor mats, though. (No, thanks.) So, again, my only recourse is the courts to compel mazda to give me the money to provide what I ALREADY PAID FOR.

Okay - so now someone is going to say that I should have tested the car before I bought it. Actually, I did test in a 2013 model and the iPod worked. I was assured that the radio in the 2013 was the same as the 2014. Lied to, I guess. (Actually, the dealership probably had no clue that they were different.) As well, I did test that my iPod played when I test drove the specific car I drove home. It did. What I didn't do was to change modes (to show the iPod error), or change playlists (to realize that it wouldn't play from the proper playlist on an ipod classic gen5.)

I also didn't test the "smart city breaking" thing by trying to run into the car in front of me, I didn't test the traction control by driving on ice, and I didn't test that the airbags would deploy by doing a head-on collision with a brick wall. It's perfectly reasonable for a consumer to accept the word of a seller without testing every detail. Especially when the merchandise comes with a warranty, and the sale is covered by state/federal laws.

(Ironically, the people who scream things like "buyer beware" will be the first people to return a defective LED or something.)

So, the only way for me to get any remedy at all is to go to the courts. That means a lawyer. I'd likely make a fool of myself in a courtroom without a lawyer, just as I'd make a fool of myself trying to rebuild an engine or doing brain surgery. Will it enrich the lawyer? Probably. However, if the "cost" of solving my problem is that a lawyer makes some money in the process, then so be it. I'd feel the same way about the mechanic if my engine had to be rebuilt and about the surgeon if I needed brain surgery.

What other choice do I have? Mazda has done NOTHING to make this better for me. (At least with the lawyer suing Mazda, my worst case scenario is that I'm exactly where I am today. Best case is that Mazda fixes the damn problem or pays me to have a replacement unit put in.)

You sir made a very valid argument on why the lawsuit is becoming necessary.

Too bad for me and other owners in this part of the world where consumer protection is virtually non-existent.

Good luck and i hope this progresses. Though i still love my cx5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microsoft has been putting out absolute junk for decades. The upgrades always hog resources and never really fix the problems. Never have seen a CAS check against MS false claims. I just can't see this getting any traction. What do ya'll expect to get? Maybe $75 check in 5 or 7 years...

My wifes iPhone BT works, she uses it all the time. She plays books and music on it as well and doesn't seem to have issues...

I think you'd have better luck going after Burger King for not supplying bugers like the Super Bowl commercials.

garyd9 - You have lots of options. #1 should be to just sell your vehicle and be done with it since it's painfully obvious to everyone here that you absolutely despise the vehicle and that you personally were targeted by Mazda to be ripped off. Or #2 you could put in a 2013 head unit - you said that it works. Or #3 you can go spend a fortune on a lawyer and pray that your vehicle lasts as long as it takes your lawsuit to move through the courts. Or #4, go sue Apple since they have obvious contributory negligence (how DARE they make a product that doesn't work with what you paid for). But please, just do SOMETHING instead of complaining on here; it's not doing you any good and frankly it's tedious. Oh, and one last thing, please learn the difference between "brakes" and "breaks", it's irritating to most of us here and really doesn't bode well for someone about to file a technology-related class action lawsuit.

Oh, and one last thing, please learn the difference between "brakes" and "breaks", it's irritating to most of us here and really doesn't bode well for someone about to file a technology-related class action lawsuit.

EH - The 'auto-correct' feature makes so many unwanted changes to what I type that I mostly turn it off. You are probably asking his computer to know the difference between 'brake' and break'.

Of course they're interested, they only want to stuff their pockets; they don't really care about helping the consumer. The whole idea of this is morally wrong. Like I said before suing Mazda isn't going to change a thing. It's only going to hurt Mazda corporation, make the lawyers rich, and do nothing for us or the issues you have with your infotainment systems. If some people feel so strongly about their Mazda infotainment systems not working as well as they think it should than the best thing to do is not buy another Mazda. By voting with your wallet, you will send a clear message to Mazda. This will in turn force Mazda to innovate and become better, which will both benefit Mazda and you. Don't forget that Apple Corporation is to blame. Typically android has less issues.

Don't join this lawsuit just for a small handout. You will only become part of the problem and not part of the solution. I personally would like to see companies like Mazda stay in the game. Even though Mazda is just a small player in the automotive world, the competition they create helps make all automobiles be the best they can be. Necessity is the mother of all innovation.

I didn't post to elicit a discussion about the merits of class action lawyers! I just posted to offer anyone seriously interested in the main idea of this thread a route to a conversation with people who can actually do something about your unhappiness. So, if you're not interested...no need to post. Also, I will add, having first-hand experience with class action lawsuits, that a class action lawsuit rarely bankrupts (or even seriously damages) a company, but does often result in real remedies for consumers who otherwise would receive nothing in response to their real problem.

garyd9 - You have lots of options. #1 should be to just sell your vehicle and be done with it since it's painfully obvious to everyone here that you absolutely despise the vehicle and that you personally were targeted by Mazda to be ripped off.
That is fan-boy mentality from you. At no point did I state or imply that I despise the vehicle. In fact, outside of the head unit, I've only had a single warranty issue (mirror vibration that was fixed.) Try to read my post again objectively instead of as an extremist.

Or #2 you could put in a 2013 head unit - you said that it works.
It works in the 2013 vehicle. Not in the 2014 vehicle (or at least no one I know of has been able to make it work in the 2014+.) So, that's not an option.

Or #3 you can go spend a fortune on a lawyer and pray that your vehicle lasts as long as it takes your lawsuit to move through the courts.
First, it's not costing me a single penny to have a lawyer represent me on this. Nothing at all. Most attorney's that take this type of case work on a contingency basis. Any attorney costs are added to the top of any settlement or judgement. As for how long it takes: about 2.5 years max. In most cases, it'd be settled long before that.

Or #4, go sue Apple since they have obvious contributory negligence (how DARE they make a product that doesn't work with what you paid for).
Again, you are showing ignorance in trying to be the fan-boy. Apple never claimed it works with Mazda. Mazda claimed it worked with the Apple iPod.

But please, just do SOMETHING instead of complaining on here; it's not doing you any good and frankly it's tedious.
Actually, unlike you, I've posted a reasonable and objective summary of the situation I and many others are in. It's a FACT that the head unit doesn't work properly with a 5th gen iPod. It's a FACT that Mazda claimed it would. It's a FACT that Mazda hasn't resolved the issue for US customers. It's a FACT that I'd only make a fool of myself in a courtroom without a lawyer to represent me. ...and so on.

In contrast, your post claims I "absolutely despise the vehicle and that you personally were targeted by Mazda" when I never made any such claims or anything near that. Your post suggests I use a 2013 head unit in a 2014 vehicle when it's been stated over and over in these forums that it won't work. Your post suggests that having a lawyer represent me would cost me a fortune and that the car might not last through the time it takes in the courts when you obviously have no clue what my costs (or lack of costs) would be for an attorney or how long it would take in the courts.

Who is doing nothing but complaining and being tedious?

Oh, and one last thing, please learn the difference between "brakes" and "breaks", it's irritating to most of us here and really doesn't bode well for someone about to file a technology-related class action lawsuit.
Wow. Something you actually got right. Congrats. Good thing my lawyer has a better auto-correct than I do.

Of course, you also have something else wrong: I'm not suggesting or participating in a class action. If you'd read my message, you might have noticed that (and kept yourself from looking like an idiot.) My post is about having an attorney represent ME (not a class) in a claim against Mazda for their failure to repair or replace defective equipment in the vehicle. I can't sue Mazda for my personal costs as part of a class action, and most class actions would require participants to NOT have separate claims pending.

Back