Frames' Mazda5 Build / Maintenance Thread

I came across a post by another user here where they said they fit 6.5" Focal A1's in the doors of their 5. I called Crutchfield and asked for a comparison of the dimensions between the 2 and they say there's only 1/10th of an inch difference for any of the dimensions. Thus I should be able to fit the 165AS and experience bliss while driving.

Went for a spin with the sound meter on. My labor paid off and brought down the decibels y about 5 all around.

It takes some really rough pavement to rise above 80db now.

Frames, that's good results on the sound deadening so far.

Let me confirm and ask a few questions - so far you've done both front doors and the front floor section? How far back on the floor? (did you remove the front seats, or stop before that?) Did you remove the center console to put sound deadening across the entire floor? Or was it more like you just lifted up the front portion of carpet and put down some deadening in the easily accessible floor area?

Any pics of the process? If not, I'd love to see pics as you do more.

I took pictures of the doors only so far. You can actually reach pretty far from the side on the passenger side. I also did the trunk.

I went with bxt on the bare metal, then ensolite, then that insulator stuff I had left over from doing the Jetta. Less road noise gets through for sure, but coating the wheel wells with 3m undercoat and the plastic fenderliners is still going to be necessary.

I'll try to take more pictures throughout when I get to the center row floor. But probably won't until next week since I have to resume my failed Jetta amp install project from last weekend.

To be honest I was too scared to remove my front seats. I did that in my Jetta last Memorial day weekend for the same thing and the airbag light came on. I have a VAG scanner that can reset it on VW/Audi but not on Mazda.

It's way easier and less testy on the Mazda, just disconnect the battery before unplugging the seat connector.

It's way easier and less testy on the Mazda, just disconnect the battery before unplugging the seat connector.

I should have thought of that. Problem with being an engineer is that the simplest solutions don't always come to mind first.

Yup, always disconnect battery on SRS equipped car to avoid Airbag light. Also done to avoid the less likely, but much more significant, unintentional deployment.

Here is what the inside of my doors look like now, and the Focals in place.

Focal woofer

Driver side door deadening

Dampening behind pasenger speaker

The Focals surprisingly even on the factory amp sound leaps and bounds better than stock. Of course I tested them before hooking up the amp to make sure all my wiring was solid, so I got to hear them side by side. But they don't come anywhere near their potential, without the amp.

I'm going to put the Alpine amp under the driver seat. I hope I can finish that this afternoon.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like a 6.5 in a 5x7 hole...

Good eye, its a 5.25 in a 6x8. I couldn't wait so I stuffed the ones I had planned on putting in the Jetta. Glad I didn't wait.

Went through the Jetta and re did all the connections and the speakers sounded better so I decided to wait since they are such a pain to get out. When I decide they have had enough I'll swap these out and order upb the 6.5s. Easy as plug and play because I got the factory harness adapter plugs for them and the tweeters are the same for both sets.

Last edited:
Amp is mounted but not hooked up.

The Alpine MRVF300 fits real nicely under the driver seat mounted atop the air vent on a piece of thin wood. I ran power through the center console and brought the wire through a tunnel for the seat wiring harness.

I have the speaker lines run from the amp to the left and right sides, and ready to cut and solder; but I'm out of steam, so that will have to wait. That's not something I want to rush through.

sac02, one thing I found interesting while lifting up the carpet in the front floorpans, is that they actually already are using some rubber matting beneath the carpet where the front seats meet the floorpan and along the base of the firewall. You would only need to put a small amount of MLV in the front floorpans which is nice.

Frames

Is it wired up yet
Not installed an amp ever under a seat due to the thermal cut. Coming in
By that was years ago

Just wondering about the heat build up over prolonged use

Did you consider the truck in or around

.... Not the best for amp setup really
Hope you can make it work

OO ||| OO + O w O +

Good eye, its a 5.25 in a 6x8. I couldn't wait so I stuffed the ones I had planned on putting in the Jetta. Glad I didn't wait.

Went through the Jetta and re did all the connections and the speakers sounded better so I decided to wait since they are such a pain to get out. When I decide they have had enough I'll swap these out and order upb the 6.5s. Easy as plug and play because I got the factory harness adapter plugs for them and the tweeters are the same for both sets.

What adapters did you use?

I've always run my amps under my seats. In 17 years I have never had one overheat. I'm talking 600-1500 watters too.

There's loads of room around the amp and it's a class D so not much problems with heat dissipation anyways.

Your old drop box pictures I can't activate

Any chance you can put them direct on here

I have the devils product ( iPhone )

OO ||| OO + O w O +

Back