What MPG are you getting???

Oh right, the SkyA-D. Yes that is questionable for diesels. There are many theories out there that accelerating swiftly in the sweet spot of the diesel BSFC map then coasting can lead to marginally better fuel economy. I have yet to test a modern diesel in such a manner granted I've had some experience with the twin turbo BMW 3.0L diesel and the notorious 4cyl VW/Audi TDI. Both obviously return great gas mileage without effort in paying attention to light throttle inputs.

Do you have the air con on normal or eco setting? you get a few mpg extra when a/c is off. I'd have thought you should be getting 45 plus. It was 10deg C on the day I had my best ever mpg and today it was 13 deg' but apart from these 2 days it's been under 8 deg since I had the car.

I keep it on ECO all the time.
Maybe now that the weather is getting warmer I will see a mpg improvement.

Well, I've never read or heard someone say its better to accelerate slowly. My short trip to work has a 2 km section where I accelerate from zero to 75 mph. Accelerating slowly would mean I am still trying to reach 75 by the time I leave the motorway, consumption is around 30 mpg. Where as a sharp acceleration then a min of cruise, then coasting to a stop, gives me a much lower consumption, as shown on the on board computer or the range I manged on that tank.

I tried this a few times especially with my previous golf petrol with dsg, trying to find out if I can get a better consumption using paddles or leaving it in auto. Result was best consumption was sharp acceleration, don't use cruise control and coasting to a stop, auto was always better than manual, was by far the best way, and this is the findings of similar test I have read.

My aircon off, Eco or on only makes a small difference to consumption.

Well, I've never read or heard someone say its better to accelerate slowly. My short trip to work has a 2 km section where I accelerate from zero to 75 mph. Accelerating slowly would mean I am still trying to reach 75 by the time I leave the motorway, consumption is around 30 mpg. Where as a sharp acceleration then a min of cruise, then coasting to a stop, gives me a much lower consumption, as shown on the on board computer or the range I manged on that tank.

I tried this a few times especially with my previous golf petrol with dsg, trying to find out if I can get a better consumption using paddles or leaving it in auto. Result was best consumption was sharp acceleration, don't use cruise control and coasting to a stop, auto was always better than manual, was by far the best way, and this is the findings of similar test I have read.

My aircon off, Eco or on only makes a small difference to consumption.

I always use cruise control on the motorways, maybe I'll give it a go today without using it.... Today I will be doing a round trip of around 90 miles.

It makes hardly any difference, but you can ease often accelerator on short up hills and gain speed again on the downhills, cruise also uses short corrections to maintain speed which use fuel, but again, it's not significant, I use cruise a lot. A lot of what I read was from Chris Harris in evo and on his YouTube channel, but again, he was testing his theory on an SLS, not a diesel mazda!

Watching the dash logger is interesting. I need to research diesel technology to make sense of what I see.

Mpg

Dear All,
I am interested in what to expect my new CX5 will or should do to the gallon in real world driving. I would also like to know whether or not the trip computer for MPG is widely inaccurate? My New purchase is a 2.2 Diesel Sort Nav AWD manual with Safety pack and DRL Led in Black. I have heard that to expect around 38MPG . I would be very disappointed if that is the case.

First time out with My CX5 SEL 150-Nav diesel this weekend and first fill up. Getting 48.5 mpg overall in first 500 miles, all road types. Also recorded 64.2mpg on long run from Bristol to Matlock.Set the cruise control at 65mph, so a bit boring! However noticed that at 75mph the mpg nose-dived.

Did my round trip today, 15 degrees, 99% motorway driving, 94 miles.... 39 mpg.
Just two of us in the car.
I think I need my dealer to have another look at the poor consumption.

First time out with My CX5 SEL 150-Nav diesel this weekend and first fill up. Getting 48.5 mpg overall in first 500 miles, all road types. Also recorded 64.2mpg on long run from Bristol to Matlock.Set the cruise control at 65mph, so a bit boring! However noticed that at 75mph the mpg nose-dived.

I agree entirely, 65mph seems like standing still in the cx-5 but at least we have a choice for low fuel bills or maximum fun. Or anywhere in-between. You're going to take a hit when going over 70 in the cx-5 as it's not the most aerodynamic front around. I Still had 43+ mpg after a lot of traveling at 85mph in France, but in that instance time was more important than money. Doing 65 instead would have added an hour to the journey.

the 150 2.2 engine seems to be living up to the hype, There are a few 175 2.2 owners who are disappointed though.

Dear All,
I am interested in what to expect my new CX5 will or should do to the gallon in real world driving. I would also like to know whether or not the trip computer for MPG is widely inaccurate?
Depends on your personal driving habits and whether you do mostly city or highway driving. The trip computer is fairly accurate in my case.

I have 1450 miles on my 2014 GT AWD and today I refilledand check the computer and I'm only getting 22.6....WTF

Maybe your computer is under reporting your MPG. I calculate my MPG manually and am really pleased with the economy (it beats the EPA estimates in both city and hwy). I know you have the 2.5L and 19" wheels but the disparity shouldn't be so great unless you drive like a madman and accelerate into red lights and cruise at 80 mph, etc.

Last edited:
unless you drive like a madman and accelerate into red lights and cruise at 80 mph, etc.

LOL, that's pretty common. A lot of people out there must get really bad mpgs. I don't drive like a granny or anything, and I like to let the engine breath once in a while. But with the cost of fuel, choice of driving style is no joke. I wonder if some of these guys even have a clue what they are doing?

Maybe your computer is under reporting your MPG. I calculate my MPG manually and am really pleased with the economy. I know you have the 2.5L and 19" wheels but the disparity shouldn't be so great unless you drive like a madman and accelerate into red lights and cruise at 80 mph, etc.
I'm going easy on here. I think it may have something to do with the computer because when I filled it up yesterday it said I had only 334 miles till empty.... I also reset the B trip computer. Today I looked at both while at a light and noticed the the difference was 55 miles more driven the what the computer said I had left in the tank......

Took a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada from Salt Lake, Utah. Averaged 27mpg on the way down, and 25mpg on the way back. This was with an average of ~78mph and it was quite windy.

Daily driving average is netting ~30mpg with an average of 60mph. Those additional 18mph made quite the difference.

Is there a proper way to calibrate the MPG calculation?
I just got a CX-5 a couple days ago.
I have a ScanGaugeII on my old Mazda3 and the way that thing calculates is that you should fill up the tank only when you're almost out, then you fill it full then tell the ScanGauge that you've filled up.

On the CX-5, do we have to do anything when we fill up to full? should we reset the Average MPG? Or leave it?
I read on other threads that resetting the trip could affect the MPG calculation too???

On my first tank fillup I plan on resetting MPG, and trips and plugging in my ScanGauageII and compare the MPG calculation.

Is there a proper way to calibrate the MPG calculation?
I just got a CX-5 a couple days ago.
I have a ScanGaugeII on my old Mazda3 and the way that thing calculates is that you should fill up the tank only when you're almost out, then you fill it full then tell the ScanGauge that you've filled up.

On the CX-5, do we have to do anything when we fill up to full? should we reset the Average MPG? Or leave it?
I read on other threads that resetting the trip could affect the MPG calculation too???

On my first tank fillup I plan on resetting MPG, and trips and plugging in my ScanGauageII and compare the MPG calculation.

Sounds like a PITA to use the ScanGauge....why not just enter the info on Fuelly and let it calculate MPG?

Sounds like a PITA to use the ScanGauge....why not just enter the info on Fuelly and let it calculate MPG?

The ScanGaugeII plugs into the ODB port and reads things like fuel, temp, rpm, etc.
Really only have to touch it when you fill up. But like I said, I want to compare the CX-5 built in calculation to the ScanGauge, especially after filling up a tank.

Back