Uncomfortable front passenger's seat

Restlesslegs

:
Mazda CX-5,2014, GT
My wife's unhappy with the passenger's seat in our 2014 CX-5 GT feeling like she's sliding forward. Visually it looks OK, so it's probably not defective. There's no adjustment of the seat base angle on the manual seat. My local Mazda service does not want to shim the seat mounts because they say it could affect the airbag sensor (I doubt), and they can't order a UK power driver's seat. Any other ideas (other than a cushion)?

Get a wife with longer legs that touch the floor or have her wear pants that arent silk?

Jokes aside, i never heard anyone with this complaint before.

My wife's unhappy with the passenger's seat in our 2014 CX-5 GT feeling like she's sliding forward. Visually it looks OK, so it's probably not defective. There's no adjustment of the seat base angle on the manual seat. My local Mazda service does not want to shim the seat mounts because they say it could affect the airbag sensor (I doubt), and they can't order a UK power driver's seat. Any other ideas (other than a cushion)?

Interesting you say this. I have felt since day one that the drivers seat tilts downward too. I have yet to put a level on it.

^ This.

I haven't had any passengers complain about the seats, though in the drivers seat I do have to angle the seat somewhat aggressively.

How comfortable are the backseats?
When I test drove a CX-5 I got the impression the bottom part of the seat is pretty level compared to other cars where the bottom part is in a slight angle such that you sink in. On the short test drive it felt fine but I wonder how does it feel after a long drive?

The rear seats are fine even compared to my Infiniti QX. Feels good not having knees in your face. The thigh support length is good as well. Unfortunately they don't recline...

Shim the seats at risk of altering how the pressure sensor works for the air bag deployment system.

How does it alter how the pressure sensor work? It doesn't... Weight is still applied on the Y-axis of the variable resistance pressure sensors. If there are multiple sensors placed in various locations of the seat to detect position of the occupant and childseat, it would still do its job adjusting accordingly to the front and back weight difference.

Ok, No problem then when the Airbag fails to deploy and kills someone because the seats were altered.

My husband and I just bought a 2012 CX-9 GT and I feel the front passenger seat is very uncomfortable and I slide forward as well (and the headrest pushes me forward too). I am not happy at all and it is the pitts riding as a passenger, even for a short trip to the store. (On our multiple test drives, the dealer came with us and he sat in the passenger seat. We either sat in the drivers seat, or in the back with our infant, and were comfortable in those spots. Didn't even think about sitting in passenger's seat, or having this problem, and didn't want dealer sitting with our newborn in back. Maybe the dealer knew the passenger seat stinks.)
I need to find a solution, fast, because not being able to sit in the passenger seat is not cool, and not an option, especially because it is our new car and we can't afford another! Please HELP! (I too would love a fix that isn't a cushion).

First thing is to determine the problem. The problem is NOT that the seat is uncomfortable. That is the symptom. Is the seat bottom too flat or pointing down? Is the seat back angle too far forward? Is the headrest alone the problem?

Only once you get to the problem, and past the symptoms, will you be able to look for a solution. If you focus on the solution you'll never get there.

Couple of ideas:

• Use a sticky https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to make the seat less slick
  • Try towels to "shim" the seat and see if that helps
  • Remove the headrest or mis-adjust it to test it out
  • You are reclining the seat somewhat, right?

And on test drives, the dealer sits in the BACK!!

Shim the seats at risk of altering how the pressure sensor works for the air bag deployment system.

With all due respect, if the airbag sensor was based on seat angle, wouldn't that also affect the power adjustable drivers seat when you change the angle?

Ok, No problem then when the Airbag fails to deploy and kills someone because the seats were altered.

No problem, because there wouldn't be one. This is speaking from experience in bio-med and mechanical engineering experience with vehicle safety equipment. Yes, airbags.

My local Mazda service does not want to shim the seat mounts because they say it could affect the airbag sensor (I doubt)

I can't even imagine the liability that would be involved with them altering it and someone ending up injured even if it couldn't be proven that it was the altering it that caused the problem.

With all due respect, if the airbag sensor was based on seat angle, wouldn't that also affect the power adjustable drivers seat when you change the angle?

The drivers seat doesn't have an airbag sensor like the passenger seat where it shuts off the airbag if the seat is empty or a small child is in it because if the car is being driven then there pretty much has to be a driver in the drivers seat.

Will tilting the seat affect the sensor, no way to tell, however on page 2-56 of the owners manual it shows 3 seating positions that can make it falsely turn the airbag off.
Could altering the angle of the seat make it even more sensitive to seating position?
Is it worth the risk? Aside from the possibility of injuring a family member imagine the liability if you are giving a friend or coworker a ride and someone hits you head on but their airbag doesn't go and their seat belt doesn't even tighten up. In this lawsuit crazy world they could take everything you've got as your insurance company distances themselves and possibly has an exception in their policy for knowingly altering a safety device on the car.

And not only does it turn the front airbag off it also turns off the side one and the seat belt pretensioner. So their seat belt won't even snug up on impact.

Last edited:
I test drove and checked several CX-5's on the dealer's lot and found this to be a MAJOR PROBLEM. I can't beleive Mazda did not design these seats to be more comfortable. All the other engineers on the team seemed to do theri jobs very well, but the seat guy screwed up! Mazda should provide a fix to all that complain about the seat configuration.

I test drove and checked several CX-5's on the dealer's lot and found this to be a MAJOR PROBLEM. I can't beleive Mazda did not design these seats to be more comfortable. All the other engineers on the team seemed to do theri jobs very well, but the seat guy screwed up! Mazda should provide a fix to all that complain about the seat configuration.
That's funny, I find the CX-5 seats (driver and passenger) to be as good as or better than the very expensive and highly praised seats in my Volvo S80.

Thinking I might be odd, I checked what the people who review cars for a living had to say about the seats. I found plenty of positive comments about CX-5 seat comfort, every reviewer seemed to like them. Mazda really earned kudos here.

"Even larger drivers should be comfortable up front. The seats are comfortable, nicely bolstered units, and offer an SUV-like upright driving position. Headroom is good, even under Grand Touring's standard sunroof. The standard tilt-and-telescopic steering column assists in fine tuning driving position. Entry and exit are easy." -- Consumer Guide

"The backseat sits high enough off the ground for adults, which isn't the case in a lot of SUVs. Legroom and headroom are good, albeit short of the Equinox's mammoth backseat." -- Cars.com

"The crossover, however, didn't really need much in the way of interior changes. The cabin features nice materials, including a soft-touch dashboard and upper door trim surfaces and convincing metal-look accents. The front bucket seats are comfortable and have enough bolstering for aggressive driving. The backseat readily accommodates adults, and the backrest folds flat with the cargo floor when more utility is needed." -- Cars.com

Recently, I took our 2013 Mazda CX-5 on a road trip from Atlanta to New Orleans for some pre-wedding preparations. On the trip, my sisters and I noticed a few key things about the Mazda CX-5.

The driver's seat, for instance, makes a long trip very pleasant. It hugs you in all the right ways, without feeling constricting. There also are plenty of adjustable options, including lumbar support, in case you aren't initially satisfied. The back seat is very roomy, as well, which comes in handy for family outings where everyone needs their own space. -- Autotrader.com

"The CX-5 also is more comfortable, roomier, and more practical than the vehicle it replaced, despite casting a significantly smaller shadow.

Beyond the responsive chassis, we love our CX-5’s forward visibility, comfortable and supportive seats, and tasteful (if spartan) interior styling. " --CarandDriver.com

"No matter, the CX-5’s cabin, as with all Mazdas, focuses first on the driver, but leaves plenty of comfort and satisfaction for the other four occupants as well. For a compact, there’s plenty of room front or back, and Mazda has worked hard to wrap this cabin in handsome materials that smack of quality. " -- Vrooomgirls.com

"The Mazda also delivers in the interior department, with logical controls and nice materials. The seats are very good. They have solid bolstering and support, especially for the lower back. It’s nice that you can get cloth seats with a well-equipped model. They are grippy and provide a just-right level of cushioning." -- Thesmokingtire.com

Story Highlights

Engine: Finally, enough power
Interior: Simple, roomy, comfy
Standard features: Nice list

USA Today

Granted, seats are a highly subjective preference but it does appear that Mazda has impressed the automotive press (not to mention myself and countless other owner's) with their comfortable and supportive seats front and back. Your suggestion that Mazda should "provide a fix" to those who complain is beyond ridiculous!

Pretty good for a first post(rolleyes)

I think the OP is having a laugh?

Either that or he has a very strange body shape.

i don't even know why I am bothering to reply, but here it goes.

Repositioning the seat using factory controls is not the same as un-bolting the seat from the frame and adding shims under the mount.

The first one keeps the car stock and the way it was made to operate.

the second one has the potential to reduce the effectiveness of the mounting system and/or the sensors in the seat.

Please don't reply to this, I am not posting it to continue the debate, hopefully everyone can just agree that un-bolting the seat mount can alter the system from how it was designed, and leave it at that.

Back