LED DRL's & Yellow Fogs

I swapped out the OEM DRL bulbs with Xenon White LED bulbs from https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) on eBay. Much better than the yellowish OEM bulbs. These particular bulbs are only for GT's with the tech package. The seller does have bulbs for non-GT's that have a inline decoder.

I'm not a fan of white fog lights so I also added yellow fog light film from this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) on eBay. Install was easy using soapy water and a heat gun.

cx-5-ext-lighting-002.jpg

OEM
cx-5-ext-lighting-001.jpg

LED
cx-5-ext-lighting-004.jpg

LED
cx-5-ext-lighting-003.jpg

FOG
cx-5-ext-lighting-005.jpg

FOG
cx-5-ext-lighting-006.jpg

I've also changed out the DRL's for the LED's. Does the yellow overlay make the fog light stand out better at night. I've noticed with the HID's, you can barely tell they are on.

Jeff

I've noticed with the HID's, you can barely tell they are on.

even without HID's they don't show much so I'd imagine with HID's they'd really be hard to see. The only effect I get with well aimed fog lights is in heavy fog or, at least for me, even more in heavy rain they light up the road immediately in front of the car and help highlight things like the lines and debris or potholes in the road. That's what I like them for.

Especially with projector headlights the fog lights (when aimed right) just don't reach out far enough to be noticed for much else.

Trevor
Mazda CX5 Accessories

I've also changed out the DRL's for the LED's. Does the yellow overlay make the fog light stand out better at night. I've noticed with the HID's, you can barely tell they are on. Jeff

The yellow does cut through the fog better and reduces that blinding white glare that most fog lights show.

I noticed that these LED DRL bulbs are 5 watts and the OEM P13W are 13 watts. Does this change in wattage throw any error code? Having owned BMW's, if you look at a bulb wrong it throws a code...

They also make the LED DRL's in amber which might be a different look as well. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

No error codes noted.

I like the overlays because they retain the yellow appearance even when not illuminated. Another good alternative to the provider linked in the OP is Lamin X.

I personally opted for actual yellow tinted/dipped lamps. The downside is that the cool looking yellow appearance is gone during the daylight hours.

Funny thing. I have been meaning to swap the DRLs to LED, since they look so terrible. I wish Mazda designed the CX-5 headlamp like they did the new 6. Its LED DRLs look amazing.

I just installed https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) in my CX-5 Touring with Tech. They were about half the price of the 68 SMD lights that the original poster used. I am guessing that the 68 SMD units give off more uniform illumination, but these look like they will work just fine as the DRLs. They also seem a little bit brighter than the little factory bulbs.

So how are these ebay P13W LED replacements compare to the factory halogen's in terms of brightness?

They seem to be about the same or maybe a touch brighter. This is from what I can tell by how they look against the garage wall.

I just installed https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) in my CX-5 Touring with Tech. They were about half the price of the 68 SMD lights that the original poster used. I am guessing that the 68 SMD units give off more uniform illumination, but these look like they will work just fine as the DRLs. They also seem a little bit brighter than the little factory bulbs.
Thnx for the link. Just ordered for our 1 day old '14 Crystal White Pearl.

Installed them, they're hella bright.
One concern though, the LED bulbs seem to draw low current for about 2 min after the car is locked.
All the SMT LEDs are very dim.
As long as it turns off, I'm not worried. Hope the low draw won't damage the SMT LEDs

Is their a how to in changing the rear hatch plate lights to LEDs?
It's in the owner's manual. Use a flat head screw driver to pop the covers off. I'd use a towel so you don't scratch the covers. Be careful not to break the plastic clips & make sure the rubber gaskets are put back correctly.

Has anyone changed the parking light in headlamps to LED.
Its the w5w bulb next to turn signal.

I can see the socket, but can not reach it trough the engine compartment.
Headlamp must be removed for this?

You have to go in through the wheel well by removing the cover; instructions in NA OM at 6-43.

i did, but i then changed it back

the leds were too white , almost blueish so i then changed it back to the original ones. i was able to access their location from within the engine bay, not through the wheel arch, just needs some arm twisting..

this is weird since the DRL are functioning as high beams as well..

when the main headlight is on, the DRL bulb (which has 2 coils in my car) is also functioning as the high beam.. how is it done on your car ?

I just purchased the yellow tint overlays for my CX-5 fogs. I have had them on my Mustang for about a year. Easy, cheap and effective.

Back