What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

I traded in a 2007 Mazda 3i Touring with 86,000 miles. I got it brand new and owned it ever since, I traded it 1 month before it's 5th official year in my possession. It was an excellent vehicle and I had a ton of memories with it.

I started shopping for a new car last year. I considered the Chevy Equinox and the Toyota Venza prior to learning about the Mazda CX-5. I wanted a small crossover with all the technology features and everything out of the box. I did not want to mod my car like I did my last one.

The price was right and everything made sense for me to buy the CX-5. I am getting the same and sometimes better gas mileage on my CX-5 compared to the 3. The biggest benefit is more room, and more comfort. Having all of the tech features definitely adds to said comfort factor.

I live an active lifestyle and this car completely fits my needs. Between my everyday commute which is about 15miles each way, and my weekend trips to PA or upstate NY, this car handles everything.

I am extremely lucky and blessed to be able to own it.

Traded in my 2003 Toyota Matrix (manual 5spd) for the CX5 sport (manual 6spd). I had a few modifications to the Matrix, and yet the CX5 feels peppier thanks to the gearing and direct injection. Other cars I considered before settling on the CX5:
- 2012 Focus (wife has one, nice car, but a bit tight on space)
- 2012 Subaru Impreza (too hard to find one in manual in FL, plus 2012 was slow with the recently downsized engine)
- 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv (wife said insufficient space for the baby seats she is planning in the next few years... yikes!)

Traded in a 2002 MINI Cooper 5MT for our CX-5 Touring. The used car market was great at trade-in and the only over vehicle we cross-shopped was a MINI Cooper Countryman. With a few options it was just north of $30k (s model) and the Mazda was almost $7k cheaper with more things like the cool touchscreen, better bluetooth, added nav for really cheap, more usable space, probably more reliable, BSM, and the really cool blue color my wife wanted.

Main reason really was price and space. Seems bigger inside than the CX-7 we had and no smoked turbos now :)

Traded in a 2008 Mazda 3i 5SP, needed an automatic car for the wife.

Traded in a 2002 MINI Cooper 5MT for our CX-5 Touring. The used car market was great at trade-in and the only over vehicle we cross-shopped was a MINI Cooper Countryman. With a few options it was just north of $30k (s model) and the Mazda was almost $7k cheaper with more things like the cool touchscreen, better bluetooth, added nav for really cheap, more usable space, probably more reliable, BSM, and the really cool blue color my wife wanted.

Main reason really was price and space. Seems bigger inside than the CX-7 we had and no smoked turbos now :)

We were also looking at the option of a Mini Copper Countryman but the high price plus the required premium fuel didn't make any sense when compared with the CX-5.

We were also looking at the option of a Mini Copper Countryman but the high price plus the required premium fuel didn't make any sense when compared with the CX-5.

I find that interesting, my dad too had an issue when I bought my MINI because as the S model with a turbo is required premium fuel. It is only $2 more per fill-up. Does it really bother people that much to spend $2 when you are putting $45-$50 in it for more performance and reliability against knocking? This topic is about as heated as oil change intervals on the MINI forums. I understand what you are saying but to me its a null point for the fun factor.

My guess is the high price was the major factor/deal killer.

Does it really bother people that much to spend $2 when you are putting $45-$50 in it for more performance and reliability against knocking?

It is funny the things people choose to fixate on with money. Overpriced coffee? That's fine. Extra cable channels that are stupid? Sure I'll buy. But premium fuel? Forget it!

Most of the cars I nixed with high fuel costs were because not only did they require premium they also got horrible mileage and were much more expensive cars to begin with (3 strikes). Infiniti EX35....

Most of the cars I nixed with high fuel costs were because not only did they require premium they also got horrible mileage and were much more expensive cars to begin with (3 strikes). Infiniti EX35....

Exactly, put it into perspective. Paying 5% extra for premium fuel is small compared to the cost of a daily driver that averages 25% less in fuel efficiency.

My guess is the high price was the major factor/deal killer.

Correct, even though they have almost similar mpg numbers the Countryman was more expensive (easily over $7k more),less interior space and on top of that I have to pay a little bit more for fuel (fueleconomy.gov indicates a difference of around $200/year, I know is not thousands of dollars per year but is still something). If the Countryman was around the same price with the same features as the CX5 then I would have really consider it regardless of the premium vs regular thing since my wife really liked it.

It is funny the things people choose to fixate on with money. Overpriced coffee? That's fine. Extra cable channels that are stupid? Sure I'll buy.

I don't have cable and I don't drink coffee for those reasons :D

Traded in my 2001 Mazda Protege with 142K miles. It still ran great since I did most of the maintenance myself. I kept it really clean inside and out. Plus, it was mostly parked in a garage. It was a great car, but it was time for something new. The CX-5 is bigger, safer, better fuel economy, and still fun to drive.

Traded in my 2003 Protege5 (manual). I bought it used in 2006 & loved that car. I was all ready to just run it into the ground. But with the CX5 I can be higher up (yay!) with better gas mileage. It was too good of a deal to pass up especially since I'm in the position to comfortably afford a new vehicle. When I drove into the dealership within 10 minutes they said "we want your trade-in!"

Good to see the repeat Mazda buyers, says something about brand loyalty earned in recent years.

Sold my 2011 Honda CRZ. It served me well for almost two years as a commute car on my daily 75 mile round trip getting over 40 mpg between most fill ups. I put a little over 24,000 miles during 22 months of ownership and I really enjoyed that car, but as my commuting was coming to an end, I wanted something with more seats, that would be somewhat fun to drive and fuel efficient. After owning a 1999 and a 2001 Miata that were both bulletproof mechanically, I was convinced of Mazda's reliability. My daughter also has a 2006 Mazda3 with over 100k miles that still runs and looks great. I hope Skyactiv engineering is as reliable.

Traded in my 2003 Protege5 (manual). I bought it used in 2006 & loved that car. I was all ready to just run it into the ground. But with the CX5 I can be higher up (yay!) with better gas mileage. It was too good of a deal to pass up especially since I'm in the position to comfortably afford a new vehicle. When I drove into the dealership within 10 minutes they said "we want your trade-in!"

Similar thing happened to me. I actually wanted to keep my Protege as a second vehicle. It's ran great, has been paid off for a while and insurance doesn't cost much. It was when I was taking delivery of my CX-5, the dealer asked me if they can take a look at my car. 20 minutes later they made me a cash offer $600 over blue book. I signed over my title the next day. So technically I didn't trade in my car since I sold it to them.

Similar thing happened to me. I actually wanted to keep my Protege as a second vehicle. It's ran great, has been paid off for a while and insurance doesn't cost much. It was when I was taking delivery of my CX-5, the dealer asked me if they can take a look at my car. 20 minutes later they made me a cash offer $600 over blue book. I signed over my title the next day. So technically I didn't trade in my car since I sold it to them.

That kinda stinks though because had you used the same price as a trade your tax on the new car would have been less since your taxed on the new car price - trade value. My taxes were low since my trade was like $14,500

Don't they tax you on the purchase price of the car? I didn't know they reduce your taxable amount with your trade in value. Oh well, it wasn't that much anyway.

Interesting... As the children are getting older and starting to leave the house (the oldest one moves out at the end of the summer), we are considering to retire the aging minivan and replace it with something smaller and more economical. The two primary contestants are Mazda CX-5 (manual) and MINI Cooper (or maybe even Clubman?). Do you miss the MINI? How painful was the transition?

Back