How To: Ebay FMIC

I have my vacuum connected to the intake manifold and I'm thinking that's a bad spot because the valve is not opening. Also the maf is a foot away from the tb but its got a weird choppy low idle at stop, I'm thinking locate the maf before the turbo?

Finally got my CXracing kit installed a cleaner way. Cut the crash bar and moved it up a good 2 inches. Had to bend some brackets and move the AC condensor a litle to the left to get the piping through beside of the now defunct SMIC.

Original Pipe route
DSC_2729.jpg

After Steedspeed manifold install
piping1.jpg

Rerouting + Steedspeed
piping3.jpg

piping4.jpg

piping6.jpg

piping5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good JD, is that a custom downpipe?

One question though, where is your wastegate?

You may need another few couplers, but thats basically ideal. Only way it could be better is if they left out the strait pipes, because theres basically no way to use them in an engine bay that small.

You may need another few couplers, but thats basically ideal. Only way it could be better is if they left out the strait pipes, because theres basically no way to use them in an engine bay that small.

I'm thinking I want to run two 90's of ic.... So would you think (2) 90, (3) 45 would be enough plus what comes with the kit? Any links to get just couplers for cheap? Thanks

Thanks guys! I really don't like that bend on the center section of the hot pipe either I will fix that... Pipes are as close to the radiator as possible. Even had to use 90s out of the intercooler outlets to make it work. I'm not sure on the downpipe I bought it off an old member and it came with the t3 log manifold he sais it's a flying miata kit. I want to get both hot and cold side tig welded to 1 piece next. Oh and I need to buy a bracket for the wastegate.. It's currently not on the car

I bought my oil return line from silicone intakes and I love it.. So I heard from this UTI graduate that MAFs dont read positive pressure and I need to move it before the turbo.. Which I know would need for the bov to recirculate. Has anyone ever put the maf before the turbo like how the evos are setup?

Blow through MAFs aren't a big deal. How you are describing is how the car came stock.

I bought my oil return line from silicone intakes and I love it.. So I heard from this UTI graduate that MAFs dont read positive pressure and I need to move it before the turbo.. Which I know would need for the bov to recirculate. Has anyone ever put the maf before the turbo like how the evos are setup?

MAFs don't read pressure at all. They use a current to keep a filament at a constant temperature. The amount of energy it takes to keep it at that temp is how it determines how much air is going past it. The fact that a UTI grad is that ignorant really bothers me. This is Computer Controled Engine Tech 101. I would love to personally hear your UTI grad friend's explaination of what about a MAF reads pressure.

Point being, blow-through MAFs on boosted cars have been done to death. There may be cars it won't work well on for a myriad of reasons, but I personally ran mine that way (if you go look at early pics in this thread I did not do so originally, but later changed it and it worked MUCH better), as have MANY MANY others. As was stated, the MAF is pre-turbo from the factory. Using the recirculated BPV it works fine, but that is one of MANY systems on the MSP deserving of much more thought and consideration than it got.

Hmm I see. I always figured it was good but this guy was always a know it all since high school and since he went to UTI I was second thinking it. So wagon you are saying that the setup is better the way it is with maf on the cold pipe and bov vta than with the maf pre turbo correct?

Hmm I see. I always figured it was good but this guy was always a know it all since high school and since he went to UTI I was second thinking it. So wagon you are saying that the setup is better the way it is with maf on the cold pipe and bov vta than with the maf pre turbo correct?

For my configuration it was far better. Recirculating with the MAF pre-turbo the car ran, but it didn't like anything about it. I'm not making promises that thats universal but it was definitely my experience regarding putting an FMIC on these cars. My only other engine mod at the time was a catless midpipe.

Back