Hands free is locked - need help unlocking

Hmbre97

:
06 Mazda5 Touring; 09 Mazda5 GT
So I added another Mazda 5 to the fleet yesterday; this time an 09 GT. In trying to set up the bluetooth hands free, all I get is a prompt that the hands free is locked and to enter the security code. I bought it from a dealership so they had no clue as to what it was and I can't find anything in the manual on how to reset it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to avoid taking it to the dealer if at all possible.

Already tried 0000, 1234, 9999, the last 4 of the vin. None of them worked.

nothing in the owners manual such as a notation in the manual? scrap of paper ? I know on Ford vehicles equipped with the keyless entry option on the drivers door, the code is on a sticker hidden somewhere. Suggest taking the radio out, or th BT unit, and taking a peek. You could also search the other forums on this site to see if anyone with another model (CX7/9, a 6, etc) had same issue.

My only suggestion is what older Honda Accord owners do in a similar situation which is to remove the radio to get the serial number, then call or stop by the Honda dealer with the serial number. The dealers would provide the number free of charge, if you had the serial number (if they had to remove the radio to get the serial number the cost was around $100).

Else, try calling Mazda USA and asking them.

I called the Mazda hands-free support line last night and they said to reset, you have to turn the ignition to ACC or ON, turn the radio off, then hold the Auto-M and Preset 2 buttons until the screen says CLEARED.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me so I think I may just have to throw in the towel and take it to the dealer.

Did you follow the pairing steps in the OM and not get anywhere? How far do you get in the steps outlined in the manual?

The types of mobile phones which
can be connected to the hands-free
unit are limited, so before purchasing
or changing your mobile phone
model, consult an Authorized Mazda
Dealer.
Mobile phones which can be
connected to the hands-free system
need to be compliant with Bluetooth
specifications and the appropriate
profile, however, even among these
mobile phones are ones which
cannot be connected or have limited
functionality. Therefore, consult an
Authorized Mazda Dealer, a Web
support center, or a call center for
information regarding mobile phone
compatibility.

Web: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=bluetoothHandsFreeLink
Phone:800-430-0153

Applicable Bluetooth specification
Ver. 1.1 or higher
Response profile
l HFP (Hands Free Profile) Ver.1.0
l DUN (Dial-up Networking Profile)
Ver.1.1

I can't get into the system at all to try pairing a phone. As soon as I hit the button, it gives the message that it's locked. This means I can't go into the setup menu or anything.

Same problem here. Got a 2008 Mazda 5 GT and bluetooth is locked with a PIN. I tried the "turn the ignition to ACC or ON, turn the radio off, then hold the Auto-M and Preset 2" but it doesn't work.
Someone had a solution since Feb 2011? Thanks.

Same problem here. Got a 2008 Mazda 5 GT and bluetooth is locked with a PIN. I tried the "turn the ignition to ACC or ON, turn the radio off, then hold the Auto-M and Preset 2" but it doesn't work.

I just did this on a 2011 Mazdaspeed3.
Turned the key to the ON position, turned the radio off, held the Auto-M and Preset#2 button down until the screen said 'Cleared'.
It wouldn't work when I had the key in the ACC position, only 'ON' without the car started.

Dan...

Got it for my Mazda 5 GT 2008: Hold all 3 for about 5 seconds: Radio power ON, preset 5 and seek down.

To followup, the method that invivo posted worked for me. I tried with just the ignition on but didn't work. It did work while the car was running though.

ACC or ON – does not work

I just did this on a 2011 Mazdaspeed3.
Turned the key to the ON position, turned the radio off, held the Auto-M and Preset#2 button down until the screen said 'Cleared'.
It wouldn't work when I had the key in the ACC position, only 'ON' without the car started.
Dan...
ON - works

To followup, the method that invivo posted worked for me. I tried with just the ignition on but didn't work. It did work while the car was running though.
Running car – works

Can we get 2/3 to agree one way works? This would be a good how-to for future reference but everyone got it work differently o_0

I just bought a Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring and have the exact same problem. I try to set up the bluetooth with my phone but am prompted to enter the code. I tried 0000, 9999, 1234 and even some codes that were handwritten into the manual by the previous owner. I bought the car from a dealership. When I try the codes, it ends up saying that the system is locked.
I am going to try what Mazda told you and hope for the best. Fingers crossed!

I invio need your help wi th bleutooth Mazda 5 GT 2008: Hold all 3 for about 5 second

To clear the password for mazda 5 2008 GT hold down (Radio power ON), (preset 5 Button ) and the (seek down button)

This is how a tech note is written clear so that people can understand .

now what button do we press to activate the Bluetooth to work in the car is my next question once i do it i will post a clear not for everyone to understand

if anyone know how and can write clear instructions please post

Last edited:
I invio need your help wi th bleutooth

Mazda 5 GT 2008: Hold all 3 for about 5 second

what all 3 buttons are we talking about i would be nice to know the button names

Got it for my Mazda 5 GT 2008: Hold all 3 for about 5 seconds: Radio power ON, preset 5 and seek down
Radio power on is that a button or just make sure the radio is on ????

To clear the password for mazda 5 2008 GT hold down (Radio power ON), (preset 5 Button ) and the (seek down button)

This is how a tech note is written clear so that people can understand .

now what button do we press to activate the Bluetooth to work in the car is my next question once i do it i will post a clear not for everyone to understand

if anyone know how and can write clear instructions please post

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Mazda CX-9 with a navigation touch screen. The radio buttons are electronic and are integrated into the touch screen. They are not analog buttons as have been shown/described in this thread about resetting the hands-free security code. I have tried pressing the radio power button and the 'seek down' button along with pressing '5' on the navigation screen. I also have followed up these steps with pressing the 'Auto-M' button and then number '2', both of which are on the Nav screen. This has not reset the security code. Does anyone know the steps to clear the code with an electronic navigation screen?
20200226_104236[1].jpg

Back