The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Anyone tried LASFIT LED bulbs for the turn signals? As I understand it there's no separate flasher unit that can be swapped out to prevent regular LED bulbs from causing hyperflashing turn signals. But the LASFIT bulbs are available with built-in resistors. Fairly pricy, but not bad if you're only using 4 of those bulbs.

Maybe there are other brands that have this also, but this is the first time I've seen one.

Looking to upgrade the high beams (9005) in my 2015. I'm thinking of grabbing the ACDelco/GM 9011s, but I was wondering if anyone has tried LEDs in the high beams? Any issues with DRL function or flickering?

I've had 2013 CX-5 AWD and I've tried LED on the high beams. My advice: do not do it. For two big reasons:

1. High beams is a reflector type of headlamp and reflector can't focus an LED bulb. You will blind everybody in front of you.

2. You won't be able to see as far as you can see with halogen. If anything, upgrade the halogen bulb. Find something brighter, but no LED on a reflector type of headlamp.

The only bulbs that I've changed were the low beams because those were projector type.

I wonder how hard it would be to reroute the DRL function to the fog lights, which I would convert to amber LED? Then maybe consider upgrading the 9005s for high beams only.

This has probably been discussed already, but when we bought our 2014 CX5 Grand Touring, one of the first upgrades besides license plate LEDs, was running light LEDs. I had to get a couple of pair from eBay because the first ones burned out, however, I have used the last pair for over 7 years and they are still going strong. Most importantly, ever since 2014, no dull yellow DRLs.

My eBay choice is long lost, but this is https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)is similar to what I got and very worthwhile. My understanding is this choice will only work in the cars with the AFS HID package. Our son is still using the car and the LEDs (and the car) are still going strong!

I've had 2013 CX-5 AWD and I've tried LED on the high beams. My advice: do not do it. For two big reasons:

1. High beams is a reflector type of headlamp and reflector can't focus an LED bulb. You will blind everybody in front of you.

2. You won't be able to see as far as you can see with halogen. If anything, upgrade the halogen bulb. Find something brighter, but no LED on a reflector type of headlamp.

The only bulbs that I've changed were the low beams because those were projector type.
"blinding everyone" is of no consequence with high beam bulbs. Because you know, they're high beams, and they'll blind people anyway, even the halogen versions, if you're using the high beams with oncoming traffic.

Unless you mean that with the LED even on the DRL function it will blind people. Then yeah that's not good.

I wonder how hard it would be to reroute the DRL function to the fog lights, which I would convert to amber LED? Then maybe consider upgrading the 9005s for high beams only.

That's a great idea because I never use my fogs anyway, but I'm not good with wiring. I was thinking about wiring something like these for DRL and then disable the stock DRL: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

But at that point I probably should just figure out how to wire up the fog lights for DRL.

This has probably been discussed already, but when we bought our 2014 CX5 Grand Touring, one of the first upgrades besides license plate LEDs, was running light LEDs. I had to get a couple of pair from eBay because the first ones burned out, however, I have used the last pair for over 7 years and they are still going strong. Most importantly, ever since 2014, no dull yellow DRLs.

My eBay choice is long lost, but this is https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)is similar to what I got and very worthwhile. My understanding is this choice will only work in the cars with the AFS HID package. Our son is still using the car and the LEDs (and the car) are still going strong!

Yeah, wish it was that easy for halogens. :( Unfortunately, the halogen headlights use the high beam for DRL function too.

Like Patrick said, that's not a concern for the high beam unless they're still blinding with the DRL function. Is that what you mean? How did that work with yours? Did they dim for DRL function? Any flickering?

I have seen that a lot of LEDs in a reflector have poor consistency and coverage, but it seemed like some had designs that fixed that.

Last edited:
You are right. DRL function, not high beam but since they share the bulb... But yeah. My point was to convince people not to install LED bulbs on a reflector type.
To your second question: I did not have any flickering and no dimming.

You are right. DRL function, not high beam but since they share the bulb... But yeah. My point was to convince people not to install LED bulbs on a reflector type.
To your second question: I did not have any flickering and no dimming.
Okay, thanks! So you could disable the DRLs and/or rewire fogs/add another DRL, but I'm not really too keen on that. I don't have a lot of time to be messing with it, and it's winter here. I'll probably end up getting some 9011s.

Also, the one thing that probably annoys me the most about my CX-5 is the lack of lighting in the cargo area; the bulb back there is useless. I've tried replacing it with an LED but it didn't help; it actually seems worse with the LED. I also don't like that it's on a switch cause I always forget to turn it off. Has anyone added extra lighting back there?

why do you have to turn it off? It turns off when the hatch is closed. My Integra is the same way - cargo light with a switch but it turns off when hatch is closed.

Some people here have added more lighting to the hatch inside trim panel, to shine down when the hatch is open.

why do you have to turn it off? It turns off when the hatch is closed. My Integra is the same way - cargo light with a switch but it turns off when hatch is closed.

Some people here have added more lighting to the hatch inside trim panel, to shine down when the hatch is open.

I swear mine stays on, but I'll double check.

Also, the one thing that probably annoys me the most about my CX-5 is the lack of lighting in the cargo area; the bulb back there is useless. I've tried replacing it with an LED but it didn't help; it actually seems worse with the LED. I also don't like that it's on a switch cause I always forget to turn it off. Has anyone added extra lighting back there?
Yeah it is pitch black and needs a lot of light. I popped out a small panel on one side and rigged a led fixture with zip ties holding it from inside. I'd like to replicate the center dome light with another in the rear.

My cargo door light times out after about 20 minutes along with all the interior lights, doesn't yours?

Okay, thanks! So you could disable the DRLs and/or rewire fogs/add another DRL, but I'm not really too keen on that. I don't have a lot of time to be messing with it, and it's winter here. I'll probably end up getting some 9011s.
Disabling DRLs it's easy, you take the DRL fuse out. You will still have high beams, don't worry. Like I was saying earlier, I bought a switch back turning signal LED bulb ( a pair, of course ) and installed them, replaced the position/turning signal bulbs. If you wire them correctly, when you set your stalk switch to "parking/position" light, your new led bulb should turn on solid white ( your new DRL lights ) and when you select turning signal, left/right, the corespondent side will change from solid white to flashing yellow. The thing is you want to make sure you wire them correctly. A bit of work but not too hard.

It's called Position or Parking. You have OFF, AUTO, POSITION/PARKING and LOW BEAM. The one with the two small lights. As far as I know, that position it's called "Position lights" or " Parking lights"

position lights symbol.png

Last edited:
It's called Position or Parking. You have OFF, AUTO, POSITION/PARKING and LOW BEAM. The one with the two small lights. As far as I know, that position it's called "Position lights" or " Parking lights"

View attachment 234361
What about the wiring? If I got those dual color bulbs what do I need to wire?

I have LED rear blinkers but not the fronts.

What about the wiring? If I got those dual color bulbs what do I need to wire?

I have LED rear blinkers but not the fronts.
Well, you have three wires for each bulb. A ground wire ( black colour ), a position/parking light wire and a turning signal wire. I can't remember the other two colours but you can find out with a multimeter or by simply connecting your new bulb and turn on the lights. The ground can't be missed so you can only swap the other two. Check it out. If the parking light turns on white and turning signal yellow (amber), you did it correctly. If you decide to buy them, make sure you get the resistor kit when you purchase the bulbs. And, of course, if you' re not sure how to do it, ask a friend.

Back