New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on getting it installed in my CX-5 today, just got the dash taken apart and parts should be arriving in several hours so I decided to film for you guys. Below is a link to part one. Hopefully I can get the rest edited and uploaded today. Cheers!

https://youtu.be/Vd7d_-ugzhU

Last edited:
I hope you have an ad sense account because I'm sharing your videos to Reddit when you're done. Prepare for massive views. [emoji16] ha. /Edit I see you did already. Excellent.

Last edited:
Haha I wish! I think with YouTube's new rules you need at least 10k subs. Just happy to help a great community.
I hope you have an ad sense account because I'm sharing your videos to Reddit when you're done. Prepare for massive views. [emoji16] ha. /Edit I see you did already. Excellent.

I will never have a touchscreen only car.
All IMO of course. But you're never going to sell me that a dial is a step backward.

You will, sooner than you think.

Look, we are the older crowd here. It*s NOT the 19 year-old that are buying CX-5s, so we have a tendency to resist changes. We still prefer our buttons and knobs, but let*s be realistic they are disappearing.

Ever heard the term *Glass Cockpit*?
Plenty of pilots thougth like you but they had to retrain and adjust.

Look it up 7... is where all cars are going too.

Tesla is only the beginning! Don*t resist!

Last edited:
Working on getting it installed in my CX-5 today, just got the dash taken apart and parts should be arriving in several hours so I decided to film for you guys. Below is a link to part one. Hopefully I can get the rest edited and uploaded today. Cheers!

Oh s***. Your the man. Been waiting to see a video of how the install will go and determine if I can do it myself without getting furious and breaking stuff.

Thanks for filming.

Look, we are the older crowd here. It*s NOT the 19 year-old that are buying CX-5s, so we have a tendency to resist changes. We still prefer our buttons and knobs, but let*s be realistic they are disappearing.

Ever heard the term *Glass Cockpit*?
Plenty of pilots thougth like you but they had to retrain and adjust.

Look it up 7... is where all cars are going too.

Tesla is only the beginning! Don*t resist!

Yup touchscreen in a car is good with the right balance and design. The latest interface from VW for example does that well. I think Tesla took it too far with the Model 3 though. It needs to be easy to use for basic frequently used functions without digging into menus for example. On the Model 3 I have to suffer through menus just to point my air vent!

Someone asked on the Mazda3 forum if the CX-5 models with the USB/SD card panel under the HVAC controls like my 2016 still require disassembly of the center console, and I responded yes. If it is helpful to anyone, here is the order of things that need to be removed directly from the official online workshop manual. I assume there is overlap of parts which is the reason why things that seem unrelated need to be removed. Please note that I have not yet done this myself, so unclear if there may be any shortcuts or if the manual is incorrect for any step in regards to these particular CX-5s.

(1)Glove compartment
(2)Decoration panel
(3)Upper panel (this includes the parts with the cup holders and the Command knob)
(4)Selector lever knob (ATX)
(5)Shift lever knob (MTX)
(6)Shift panel
(7)Rear console
(8)Side walls
(9)Front console (the larger parts into which the USB/SD unit fits)

And then of course the removal of the headunit/center unit is required to get to the connectors on the back where the USB cables fit. The HVAC panel does not need to be removed, thankfully.

Last edited:
Oh s***. Your the man. Been waiting to see a video of how the install will go and determine if I can do it myself without getting furious and breaking stuff.

Thanks for filming.

yes, thank you! i was on the fence if i wanted to tear my new cx5 apart or pay mazda a ton of money to do it for me. It seems pretty easy enough that i'll attempt it on Friday afternoon. I look forward to part 2 of the video

I guess I'm trying to figure out how functional it will be to use Android Auto without a working touchscreen while moving and if the control knob will be able to do everything that is needed...? We don't do Apple, so while Car Play functionality is interesting, it likely will never be used.

That said, I do like the control knob... However, having come from a 2011 BMW M3 that had BMW's iDrive, there are several areas that (IMHO) BMW's 7 year older iDrive is still superior to what is in my 2018 CX-5:
- Being able to Zoom In/Out of the Nav Map by turning the control "dial", it annoys me that zooming is touchscreen only (and of course DOESN'T work while driving).

This is not correct. You CAN zoom in and out with the knob. You simply choose the down arrow first, which hides the buttons. Then the knob zooms in and out, yes even when driving. It's the best way to do it.

Hope this helps.

I agree that touchscreen ONLY in any vehicle is FAR inferior to a hybrid setup like Mazda's. I would not own a vehicle like that.

Someone asked on the Mazda3 forum if the CX-5 models with the USB/SD card panel under the HVAC controls like my 2016 still require disassembly of the center console, and I responded yes. If it is helpful to anyone, here is the order of things that need to be removed directly from the official online workshop manual. I assume there is overlap of parts which is the reason why things that seem unrelated need to be removed. Please note that I have not yet done this myself, so unclear if there may be any shortcuts or if the manual is incorrect for any step in regards to these particular CX-5s.

(1)Glove compartment
(2)Decoration panel
(3)Upper panel (this includes the parts with the cup holders and the Command knob)
(4)Selector lever knob (ATX)
(5)Shift lever knob (MTX)
(6)Shift panel
(7)Rear console
(8)Side walls
(9)Front console (the larger parts into which the USB/SD unit fits)

And then of course the removal of the headunit/center unit is required to get to the connectors on the back where the USB cables fit. The HVAC panel does not need to be removed, thankfully.

None of these talk about disconnecting the batteries FIRST. why is that not pointed out or jus assumed.

thanks man appreciate this. waiting to see the cable run (part 2 ???)

If youre just unplugging and plugging into harnesses it shouldnt be necessary. Only would need to if youre splicing live wires.

I dunno man. Looks like it's going the other way to me.
First there was only Audi with the dial.
Then Mercedes.
Now Mazda.
Then Audi added a touch swipe feature on the controller. Mercedes will be next.
I don't think they'll go away at this point, they will evolve to be a cross between both options. :D

Though Ford, VW, GM, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia and probably many others are predominately touch screen. Id say there are a lot more numbers on the touch side than control knob or some variation. I do tend to think in long run theyre all going to move into some form of hybrid as each has its strengths and weaknesses.

None of these talk about disconnecting the batteries FIRST. why is that not pointed out or jus assumed.

It is listed in the document for the CX-5 and CX-3- i am not sure what that list is you posted - this is the 2017/18 CX-5:

** Negative battery cable disconnection
** Lower decoration panel
** Upper decoration panel
** Driver-side decoration panel
** Meter hood No.1
** Center display
** Glove compartment
** Driver-side/passenger-side console side panel
** Switch panel
** Cup holder
** Console up
** Passenger-side side wall.

And although this is a simple install, there are many plugs to disconnect. Just unplugging the electronic parking brake with battery connected results in the brake being set. Remember not all the connections are carrying power - some are just signalling the CAN BUS, so if power still exists to some component and you disconnect signal wires.... who knows.

I was tempted to not disconnect the battery, but I did it just to be safe and the only thing lost was memory seat and MPG.

Last edited:
As long as the safety/autonomous driving tech continues to improve, the touch screen will remain. Keep in mind that you can only fit so many buttons on the screen before they become so small that you actually have to shift focus away from the road to make sure you're tapping the right button. A bigger screen isn't really the answer either (see Tesla's ridiculously complicated, but very cool looking center console in the Model X). Drivers will need that safety tech to save their butts when they're too distracted fidgeting with the touch screen.

There is a reason distracted driving AKA operating a cell phone while driving is a ticketable offense in some states. The Commander knob and the way Mazda utilizes it seems to be the easiest and safest for me to use, personally.

The list was never intended to be full & complete instructions for installation of the USB module and cables--it is just a high level overview of what interior parts allegedly need to be removed on the 2016 as per the Mazda workshop manual.

The list was never intended to be full & complete instructions for installation of the USB module and cables--it is just a high level overview of what interior parts allegedly need to be removed on the 2016 as per the Mazda workshop manual.

thanks. @alphadog00 updated the list above. appreciate this community that gives me more reasons to love my mazda (hump) (hump)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back