US Diesel's big splash introduction

Honestly X I really don't care when it comes but I'm just so ******* stoked that it appears to be very NOT dead and very likely to coming to a dealer near me when I was starting to lose hope!!(mj)

You can all thank me.

I bought the gas when I really wanted the diesel, thus insuring the diesel got released.

You can all thank me.

I bought the gas when I really wanted the diesel, thus insuring the diesel got released.

Haha you did call that didn't you? Thank you:) On a bright note my 81k loaded 2014 has depreciated very little in the past year and 15k miles or so..holding strong @11-12K..which ain't half bad..no doubt improving!!

You can easily jam an 80lbr back there if ya had to..simple matter of voltage:)

Last edited:
So now the next phase of waiting commences. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116333_mazda-gets-california-approval-for-cx-5-diesel

Cali approves CX5 diesel. Well there are always new buyers in market. A diesel is going to be a great option used in 2023-24 for me.

The service guys at my dealership were happy that Mazda was not bringing the diesel of the USA. A lot of them came from the VW side and they said the maintenance was a pain. The DEF fluid is nasty and the particulate filter is a $1200 expense that will hit after 3-4 years from new that Mazda buyers are not going to be happy about.

The service guys at my dealership were happy that Mazda was not bringing the diesel of the USA. A lot of them came from the VW side and they said the maintenance was a pain. The DEF fluid is nasty and the particulate filter is a $1200 expense that will hit after 3-4 years from new that Mazda buyers are not going to be happy about.

Someone posted here that it was Mazda that re-ignited the interest in diesel in Japan. 2.2 D has already been a hit and favorite among the Europeans. If the particulate filter was that big of an issue we would have heard it from Europeans over here. I only see praise about the 2.2D even from people who otherwise criticize Mazda. No doubt 2.5L is the most important engine for MZD just because the US market is huge - but 2.2D has earn its place as a legend as well. I wont be hesitant to get a used 2.2D with 40K-50K on the clock.
Interesting to see but my guess is it will be rated 40 on highway - makes a great great option for long drive commuters.

So now the next phase of waiting commences. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

yup, now we wait to see how long before EPA rubber stamps their approval on it.
Do we want to put an over / under on what the highway fuel mileage will be for it?

Taking another look at the CARB certification and it seems as though Mazda was given an exemption for part of it. (emphasis mine)

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:
The listed vehicle models are conditionally certified in accordance with 13 CCR Section 1968.2(k) (deficiency and fines
provisions for certification of malfunction and diagnostic system) because the on-board diagnostic II (OBD) system of
the listed vehicle models have been determined to have three deficiencies.
These vehicle models are approved
subject to the manufacturer paying a fine of $25 per vehicle for the third deficiency for vehicles in the listed test group
that are produced and delivered for sale in California.
On a quarterly basis, the manufacturer shall submit to the California Air Resources Board reports of the number of
vehicles produced and delivered for sale in California and pay the full fine owed for that quarter pursuant to this
conditional certification. Payment shall be made payable to the State Treasurer for deposit in the Air Pollution Control
Fund no later than thirty (30) days after the end of each calendar quarter during the 2018 model-year production
period. Failure to pay the quarterly fine, in full, in the time provided, may be cause for the Executive Officer to rescind
this conditional certification, effective from the start of the quarter in question, in which case all vehicles covered under
this conditional certification for that quarter and all future quarters would be deemed uncertified and subject to a civil
penalty of up to $37,500 per violation per vehicle pursuant to HSC Section 43154.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED:

Per Mazda's request for conditional OBD II approval and conditional Executive Order (EO) approval (Mazda's
Request) dated March 27, 2018, the listed vehicle models are certified conditionally on Mazda's completion of OBD II
testing and submission of test results to CARS within 180 days after the date of the conditional EO. In addition, Mazda
shall submit a running change request within 180 days after the date of the conditional EO for CARS approval for
calibration updates described in Mazda's Request and shall implement the running change within four weeks of
CARB's approval of the running change request. Mazda shall also submit a voluntary recall plan for CARB's approval
to remedy production vehicles that do not have the CARS-approved updated calibrations. Failure to submit the
required data, information, running change or voluntary recall plan request by the agreed upon dates, or failure of the
submitted data, information, or running change or voluntary recall plan to demonstrate compliance with the emission
standards, OBD II requirements, or improved emission control system performance, shall be cause for the Executive
Officer to revoke the conditional EO ab initio; vehicles sold or introduced into commerce under the revoked conditional
EO shall be deemed uncertified and subject to a civil penalty of up to $37,500 per violation per vehicle pursuant to
HSC Section 43154.
Vehicles certified under this Executive Order shall conform to all applicable California emission regulations

after reading it a few times and discussing it with a buddy of mine, it looks like pretty standard legal jargon.
If I'm interrpreting it correctly, Mazda wants to to release the car within a certain time frame and didn't want this OBD issue affecting that timeline so they got the OK to proceed given that they fix the issue and notify CARB or they agree to recall them after the fact to perform the 'fix'.

Last edited:
DPFs are not a problem as long as you use the correct oil and decent diesel. I don’t know what diesel is available to you guys so that remains to be answered.

DPFs are not a problem as long as you use the correct oil and decent diesel. I don’t know what diesel is available to you guys so that remains to be answered.

Fuel in general stateside is inferior to Europe. Not sure about Canada. What Europeans use regular is about 91 octance - americans use 87 as regular, 91 is semi premium.
Mercedes decided to stop selling their diesels due to quality of fuel and its availability.

yeah, our fuel especially here in California is inferior to EU as we have winter and summer blends that can have tons of ethanol in them. 87 is 'regular' here and 91 is considered premium. I know other states use 93 or 95 octane as their premium
Not sure what the diesel fuel situation is like.

yup, now we wait to see how long before EPA rubber stamps their approval on it.
Do we want to put an over / under on what the highway fuel mileage will be for it?

Taking another look at the CARB certification and it seems as though Mazda was given an exemption for part of it. (emphasis mine)

after reading it a few times and discussing it with a buddy of mine, it looks like pretty standard legal jargon.
If I'm interrpreting it correctly, Mazda wants to to release the car within a certain time frame and didn't want this OBD issue affecting that timeline so they got the OK to proceed given that they fix the issue and notify CARB or they agree to recall them after the fact to perform the 'fix'.

This is what I got from it:
- The OBD II system is deficient
- Mazda can start selling them as long as they pay a $25 fine per vehicle
- Mazda has 180 days to show new OBD II test results showing they can be compliant
- Mazda has 180 days to request a running change to the OBD II to achieve compliance
- Cars sold before the running change will need to be recalled for the update/retrofit
- If Mazda fails to meet the above requirements, they will be fined $37500 per vehicle sold
- If Mazda fails to meet the above requirements, the vehicles are decertified and I assume that means they will be taken out of the fleet ala VW

Seems kind of risky

Someone posted here that it was Mazda that re-ignited the interest in diesel in Japan. 2.2 D has already been a hit and favorite among the Europeans. If the particulate filter was that big of an issue we would have heard it from Europeans over here. I only see praise about the 2.2D even from people who otherwise criticize Mazda. No doubt 2.5L is the most important engine for MZD just because the US market is huge - but 2.2D has earn its place as a legend as well. I wont be hesitant to get a used 2.2D with 40K-50K on the clock.
Interesting to see but my guess is it will be rated 40 on highway - makes a great great option for long drive commuters.

Oil issues occurred here on the early/mid KE series. By the time the 2015/2016 update for KE (MZD connect, spec changes) came, the oil issue had been resolved. So KF diesel should be fine.

Back