Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Actually disagree with that unless you're pushing 4K displays. The 1070 is / was the sweet spot for 1080p gaming.

I'm doing 2560x1440 and the 1080 is barely adequate, framerates sometimes in the 30s, with GSYNC being the only reason it's still ok.

Ack, I forgot to take a pic of my rig!

As for the frames. I'm still on a 1920x1080 monitor at home. I don't care for 1440p myself, everything is too small to read. I have two 2560x1440 monitors at work and I had to change them back down to 1920x1080.

My GTX 980 still handles 1080 just fine.

Ack, I forgot to take a pic of my rig!

As for the frames. I'm still on a 1920x1080 monitor at home. I don't care for 1440p myself, everything is too small to read. I have two 2560x1440 monitors at work and I had to change them back down to 1920x1080.

My GTX 980 still handles 1080 just fine.

2r3wpk8.jpg

I'm doing 2560x1440 and the 1080 is barely adequate, framerates sometimes in the 30s, with GSYNC being the only reason it's still ok.

That's true. Let alone the 1080, my 1070 is having a even harder time supplying high FPS 1440p game play. Besides certain titles, I typical have to turn down details to boast frame rate. To me, it's about finding that perfect medium. Staying on top is very costly... GTX1080 back in 2016 when I was rebuilding was still the top tire card (aside form the Titan card, of course. but who the hell got money for that...) and costing a hefty premium ($600 if I remember correctly). I personally cannot persuade myself to spend that much, which is why I went with a 1070.

That's true. Let alone the 1080, my 1070 is having a even harder time supplying high FPS 1440p game play. Besides certain titles, I typical have to turn down details to boast frame rate. To me, it's about finding that perfect medium. Staying on top is very costly... GTX1080 back in 2016 when I was rebuilding was still the top tire card (aside form the Titan card, of course. but who the hell got money for that...) and costing a hefty premium ($600 if I remember correctly). I personally cannot persuade myself to spend that much, which is why I went with a 1070.

All started with the 700-series. Prices have been insane for a while.

GTX 780 came out at $650. 780 Ti at $700. By comparison, the GTX 680 had debuted at $499.

Agree, 4K is too much IMO of course, for PC gaming. You don't need 4K when the screen is 2 feet from your face.
Most games don't even support true 4K gaming anyway, so yea... happy with my 1070 pushing everything I can throw at it with huge numbers, still, a year later.

Nice.

Where's the radiator? Is that it on the back? How's temps?
Thanks
Correct on radiator location.
I honestly don't monitor temps. I don't OC the card or GPU, so I don't bother. It runs silent though unless I've been maxxing things out for a while, and even then it's pretty sedate sounding. System is very stable as the 1080 and the i7-7700k are both very cool running.

Agree, 4K is too much IMO of course, for PC gaming. You don't need 4K when the screen is 2 feet from your face.
Most games don't even support true 4K gaming anyway, so yea... happy with my 1070 pushing everything I can throw at it with huge numbers, still, a year later.

I am eagerly awaiting Farcry5. I also max settings on Ghost Recon using 2560x1440. Framerates are in the "this is still great...but I'm out of card" realm. What games are you playing?

As promised. Its dusty and front fan filters definitely need cleaning.

New phone so I am figuring out this camera. Color doesn't look right on the fan controller in the second pic. They are yellow.

Also, the plastic insert inside the CPU waterblock has discolored to a white color over the past 4 years. Will have to replace that at some point.

Components:

CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix
MOBO: ASUS Z97 DELUXE
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3
SSD: Crucial M550 512GB
HDD: 2 x WD Black 3TB
PSU: Corsair AX750
Case: Corsair 540
Fan Controller: Lamptron FC5v2

Cooling:

Fans: 6 x Corsair SP120's - white rings painted gold (Would have used my Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans if they wouldn't have ruined the look of this build)
CPU: EK Supremacy EVO - Gold
GPU: EK Fullcover + backplate
Pump: D5 Variable pump (lowest setting for silence, these thing move a lot of water)
Reservoir: EK X-RES 100
Tubing: Primochill Advance LRT - Black (3/8"ID, 5/8"OD)
Fittings: Monsoon compression fittings - Gold (3/8"ID, 5/8"OD)
Rads: 2 x XSPC EX240 (I couldn't quite make my EX360 fit up front with both hard drives)

Regarding the fans...it was a compromise. Gentle Typhoon fans are simply the best that you could get for radiator fans water cooling because they move a ton of air, have great static pressure (important for radiators), and most importantly are just quiet. One of the other major reasons I got into watercooling is that I like silent computing. I don't ever want to "hear" my computer. I can run all my fans very low and get better cooling than air cooling without the fans spinning up to insane levels gaming. I can adjust manually as needed with the fan controller.

10e66bb1bfebf077520805cd2b28a4b6.jpg

a8ebe92ed3c3ed7b6c09023e4cb0a403.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, you definitely have a nicer case then me. [emoji16] Very nice.

Ok, you definitely have a nicer case then me. [emoji16] Very nice.
I love the concept of this case, but a few design choices irk me. For instance where those 2 hard drives are, are the only areas to mount them. I would have preferred a cage in the back. And then more space for fans/thin rad on the bottom.

Case is a Corsair 540.

Here's the rest of my setup.

Monitor: BenQ 120hz 24"(I forget model off top of my head, had it since 2012. Best. Monitor. Menu. Ever.)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 with red switches (seriously mechanical keyboards are the best)
Mouse: Razer Naga Epic

Monitor will need an upgrade at some point. There is a small crack on the bottom left hand section. Haven't figured out what I am doing for that yet though. I find larger resolutions like 1440 to be harder to read and see things (text is so small). I guess they can scale it back to 1080??? I don't know.

72d9e92450d610018a92425f22cc74d2.jpg

Last edited:
Good ole assrock. I was using those mobos when i first stsrted building towers like 15 years ago.

Back