Mazda friends, need '17 CX-5 ammo to help to sway the wifey who wants Lexus NX200

Status
Not open for further replies.

denim

SSAudio.com
:
2003 Protege5 5-speed / 2005 RX-8 Skinka
In need of some positive info on the new CX-5 to get the wifey to go Mazda over Lexus. Yes, I know that is a bit of a tough go, but outside of gaining 2 years and saving maybe $6k overall purchase price, I know the Mazda is the better deal, but is it the better choice. Yes, I know many will have autobias. As having never owned a Mazda SUV, I am looking for some info that might not be glaringly obvious as to why I should push my girl towards a 2017 CX-5 instead of her planned Lexus 2015 NX200. Quick back ground, she has a 2006 RX350 and it has been very trusty for us and her for a very long time, as well as my 2002 IS300 5MT (which is the successor to my 2005 Protege5). In addition, the Lexus dealer is super close and has been off the charts in terms of customer service, while the Mazda dealer is puny and was not very good when I needed to get the recalls done on my RX8. So she has been leaning heavily towards the NX200 that we had as a loaner in the past. This need would be her new daily driver. Both cars would be AWD and near fully loaded. The BMW X3 has been eliminated already.

She wants to downsize as she feels she doesn't need the size of the RX series anymore, so the NX is the next logical choice. Her commute is going to nearly double, so MPG and cost of fuel come into play (both in the positive for the CX-5). The CX-5 is smaller than her current RX, but not much smaller.

So from CX-5 owners experience, what info can I use to help make the best case for the CX-5?

Thanks in advance.

The Lexus is uglier

Other than that, and the price, the Lexus is a good vehicle and I would hope, for the cost, the service is excellent.

Just get her to take a test drive. She'll be sold.
Then tell her all the cool stuff you'll buy her with the money you save.

The NX is a nice car but I don't think the price difference is really justified for what it is. The big glaring downfall of the NX is the fuel octane requirements. All NX models require premium Fuel of at least 91 octane. The NX is more expensive, has a more powerful engine but that is offset somewhat by it's heavier weight. They are very comparable in size, so I'd say you have to drive both of them and see what one she like more. The 2nd gen models are much more refined and less noisy in the cabin.

I would say your big selling points for the CX-5 would be it is less expensive and uses regular gasoline gets slightly better MPG ratings so overall fuel costs will be lower over the duration of ownership.

I am an IT guy, but I can tell you I also love the fact that the tech in my 2018 CX-5 feels just right. I love the simple dashboard, and the manual HVAC controls. One of my big concerns with other vehicles is the massive dependency on a tablet in the dash to control almost everything in the vehicle. It's completely ridiculous to me when I see vehicles that require me to use a GUI to turn the AC on and off.

As far as I am concerned, this is my Goldilocks car. It's not 100% perfect but it feels right. And it feels like a car I will stay with for an extended period of time.

Just get her to take a test drive. She'll be sold.
Then tell her all the cool stuff you'll buy her with the money you save.

We plan on a test drive in 2 weekends. We will see how it goes. As for the saved money, well thats a slippery slope for me. haha

The Lexus is uglier

Other than that, and the price, the Lexus is a good vehicle and I would hope, for the cost, the service is excellent.
Yes, the service has been amazing so far. Once there was a coolant leak. Turns out it was just a small fitting that was the issue, they said F'it and replaced the entire radiator and hoses for $0.00.

The NX is a nice car but I don't think the price difference is really justified for what it is. The big glaring downfall of the NX is the fuel octane requirements. All NX models require premium Fuel of at least 91 octane. The NX is more expensive, has a more powerful engine but that is offset somewhat by it's heavier weight. They are very comparable in size, so I'd say you have to drive both of them and see what one she like more. The 2nd gen models are much more refined and less noisy in the cabin.

I would say your big selling points for the CX-5 would be it is less expensive and uses regular gasoline gets slightly better MPG ratings so overall fuel costs will be lower over the duration of ownership.

I had noticed that, the CX-5 has almost a 500 lbs. advantage.

My wife sold her 2007 Rx350 after 10 years and got the 2017 CX-3 - she is small and wanted small and fun to drive. She loves the CX-3. I liked it too, but wanted quieter, so i sold my 2010 RX350 and got the 2017 CX-5. Neither of us regrets the decision. Service is cheaper, both cars get much better gas mileage then the RX - and neither is as Ugly as the new Lexus cars. We just couldn't justify the cost of the NX or another RX. Previous Mazdas were just as reliable and cost much less to operate.

Maybe this will help (or hinder)

attachment.php

2a5a8f1777f4445b7a2f3fb0df483531.jpg
2a5a8f1777f4445b7a2f3fb0df483531.jpg

Last edited:
I am an IT guy, but I can tell you I also love the fact that the tech in my 2018 CX-5 feels just right. I love the simple dashboard, and the manual HVAC controls. One of my big concerns with other vehicles is the massive dependency on a tablet in the dash to control almost everything in the vehicle. It's completely ridiculous to me when I see vehicles that require me to use a GUI to turn the AC on and off.

As far as I am concerned, this is my Goldilocks car. It's not 100% perfect but it feels right. And it feels like a car I will stay with for an extended period of time.

This is a gross generalization, but it seems to me that IT people really like the Mazda electronics [except the lack of customization], whereas "normal" people seem to have a harder time relating to it. Perhaps IT people are used to dealing with new, different interfaces.

In any case, I agree. Nothing is worse than having to control everything on a touch screen. The Mazda system really works well.

The NX was one of the first CUV's on our list when we started shopping. The appearance was almost a deal breaker for my wife, but what really made it a no go was the extremely limited cargo area. If I recall correctly, my 2017 GTI has more cargo space than the NX. Too many compromises with the NX so we took it off the list. The CX-5 was the solution for us that had the least number of compromises.

I think one huge advantage nobody has mentioned would be the warranty. In my car shopping experience, most used cars don't have any type of major warranty unless it is certified pre-owned. With a new Mazda, you would get their 5-year power train and 3-year bumper to bumper warranties. Peace of mind is worth a lot in my opinion, especially in addition to the cash you would already be saving.

Have her drive both and get the one she likes. Why are you trying to sway her one way or the other? She should have the vehicle that makes her happiest, since cost doesn't seem to be the driving factor. Is this even YOUR money, or is it hers? If hers, then my statements go doubly, IMO.

That said, if she is looking at the Cx3, she should consider a sedan instead maybe, as well, or just get the CX5. To me, the CX3 is about as pointless a vehicle as it gets. Smaller interior than a sedan with less cargo capacity, not much better mileage than the CUV. It's only purpose as far as I can discern is that it looks like a CX3. If you want a vehicle that looks like a CX3, then the CX3 is it for you. Otherwise, no selling point to it.

Last edited:
IMO, if your wife doesnt think 2015 Lexus NX 200t looks ugly, theres not much you can do to sway her for a 2017 Mazda CX-5 unfortunately ⋯ ;)

Assuming that you don't plan on paying cash for either of the cars...Buying a new 2017 CX-5 would entitle you to Mazda's 0% finance rate. That no interest loan would save you around 2K-3K (minus whatever rebates you would have qualified for), as opposed to going with a standard interest rate loan through a bank or a credit union.

Thanks, that is good to hear. :)

The NX was one of the first CUV's on our list when we started shopping. The appearance was almost a deal breaker for my wife, but what really made it a no go was the extremely limited cargo area. If I recall correctly, my 2017 GTI has more cargo space than the NX. Too many compromises with the NX so we took it off the list. The CX-5 was the solution for us that had the least number of compromises.

Good to know. :)

I think one huge advantage nobody has mentioned would be the warranty. In my car shopping experience, most used cars don't have any type of major warranty unless it is certified pre-owned. With a new Mazda, you would get their 5-year power train and 3-year bumper to bumper warranties. Peace of mind is worth a lot in my opinion, especially in addition to the cash you would already be saving.

The Lexus would be CPO, so full warranty and dealer coverage. I'm dual career, so I have very little time at home to be wrenching on the cars.

Have her drive both and get the one she likes. Why are you trying to sway her one way or the other? She should have the vehicle that makes her happiest, since cost doesn't seem to be the driving factor. Is this even YOUR money, or is it hers? If hers, then my statements go doubly, IMO.

That said, if she is looking at the Cx3, she should consider a sedan instead maybe, as well, or just get the CX5. To me, the CX3 is about as pointless a vehicle as it gets. Smaller interior than a sedan with less cargo capacity, not much better mileage than the CUV. It's only purpose as far as I can discern is that it looks like a CX3. If you want a vehicle that looks like a CX3, then the CX3 is it for you. Otherwise, no selling point to it.

We plan to drive both, she prefers the looks of the Mazda. Which ever we choose, will be paid for by both of us.

My Rx-8 has been pretty good overall, even with it being heavily autocrossed for 2 years. My protege5 was plucky and trusty. Her cousins Miata has been trusty, her other cousins CX-9 has been steady and reliable, her other cousins MazdaSpeed5 has never missed a beat. So the Mazda track record in her immediate view is pretty good.

She isn't looking at the CX-3, too low for her tastes.

Assuming that you don't plan on paying cash for either of the cars...Buying a new 2017 CX-5 would entitle you to Mazda's 0% finance rate. That no interest loan would save you around 2K-3K (minus whatever rebates you would have qualified for), as opposed to going with a standard interest rate loan through a bank or a credit union.

Ahh, nice point. Yes, this is the first car payment I will have had in about 10 years. So I normally pay cash for cars that are older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back