Gen 2.0 CX-5 In the real world. Lets discuss...

:
2017 Mazda CX5 GT - Premium
I wanted to get away from any kind of comparison. I've been there and done that over the last 1.5 years and this car finally put an end to that journey for me.

Now that we've had our car's for a little while, what do you like and what don't you like? What drew you to the '17 CX-5 and what were you considering before? What did you drive before?

I came from a 2006 Mazda 5 with 240,000 miles on it (reliable as hell). That ugly car took me to the moon (in terms of miles) and I decided that enough was enough. I originally wanted a 2016 Mazda 6GT w/tech but those idiots who review cars said not to buy one because it's 0-60 time was too slow so I made the mistake of not test driving one. I began looking at older luxury cars beginning with the 2012 Jaguar XF (i don't remember why), but it was a beast under the hood (that's what she said) and it had those really neat flipping vents.

I eventually went round and round from old XF to Audi, and Inifinity, and so and until I ended up behind the wheel of an Acura TLX (two weeks before buying this). I remember thinking the cabin is the quietest of the bunch, but it's so boring and the drive felt numb, but for the price it was great and it had lots of tech. I was finally ready to compromise and go with the safe buy. One week later I randomly stumbled upon a no-strings attached Mazda test drive event and that was it. It was as quiet as the Acura, had more usable space, more practical overall, uses 87 octane, felt overall more upscale than the Acura, and it costs a whole lot less fully loaded. Oh also that red though ;). One week later I purchased this bad boy and have been really enjoying it.

My Mazda 5 had a little more usable space in the back, which made getting the bikes in and out a snap. This time I'm considering a tow hitch with bike rack to make that easier. Also considering a roof rack to fit my telescope.

I hope you guys are enjoying yours.

Last edited:
I really enjoy how mine rides. Everything feels like it is in the right place. Sitting high, smooth without feeling "boaty" and responsive steering. I also love the looks inside and out. The HUD is handy and I've enjoyed using the remote trunk open feature quite a bit. Keyless entry is new to me, and I like it!

Only three dislikes:
1. The climate controls are low - gotta reach for them
2. Turning the car off there's no grace period for accessories. It's like unplugging a tv.
3. Idling adversely affects MPG.

The first two have been discussed elsewhere. The third is my "rude awakening" from having driven a hybrid the past 10 years (when the car idles, the ICE is off, so no impact on mileage).

For our practical / family rig we had a 2014 Kia Rondo before the 17 CX-5. It was extremely practical and had LOTS of goodies in it, but clearly Kia needs to spend more $ developing proper road manners.

At the time it didn't seem like such a dumb move. On the plus it was rather luxurious on the inside. It was extremely practical for moving our elderly relatives around - the big rear doors and just-the-right height were perfect for getting them in and out and the trunk would hold whatever we could throw at it.

BUT... it ended up unreliable as all hell and it literally got us mad / sad enough that we would rather take the financial hit and replace it than continue to live with it.

Enter the 2017 CX-5.

That first time we saw was actually by chance - my 2017 3 was due for an oil change and she just happened to want to come with me for the ride. The CX was in the lot and she instantly asked what it was - I didn't even know it was available yet. It turned out they showed up 2 days before.

Then we went on a test drive, I actually saw her smile on the on ramp getting onto the highway. Even from the passenger seat I could feel how much more composed this car was and she really liked that. The presence of truly adequate power was a BIG plus as well compared to what she had before.

She actually said that the CX-5 reminded her of her old Subaru 2.5RS that we had (our automotive golden child). I know in reality that's a stretch but I know what she meant - the CX could be fun for her like the Subaru was. And with that we were done car shopping.

Our satisfaction with Mazda stems from how happy I am with my 6 month old Mazda 3 GT that I've clocked 20,000 kms on so far. That happiness stems from my previous Mazda, a 2010 Mazda 3 GT which I had bought used with 72,000 kms to be more economical commuter when I started working farther from home.

It was written off just shy of 3 years later with 175,000kms on it and I didn't have a single non-maintenance problem with it other than some dash creaks in the cold weather. Someone obviously not paying attention plowed into me stopped in traffic on the highway, pushed me into the guy in front (who was also stopped) and push both of us into the guy in front of him. How I was able to come out of that the way I did and how I was also completely happy with that car up until it was taken from me, and how the only thing I could find to keep me happy enough behind the wheel was another new 3 all weighed heavily in favor of instantly jumping on a new CX-5 sooner rather than later when the wife decided that she really liked it more than anything else she compared it to.

Our other previous cars were all used. Notable ones included my Subaru Legacy GT, which I have no idea why I sold. Bought it with 140,000kms sold it with 260,000 kms going strong. Her 2000 2.5RS which she absolutely adored but she was hit in it 2 years after we bought it. I had a 2004 Nissan Frontier Supercharged which I made full use out of with being a handyman as a second job while the wife was finishing school. That thing was a PIG but I used the crap out of it and it kept coming back for more. Then we had a couple of economical beaters to get the wife thru school - no nice cars because cars get destroyed driving in and around universities (see 2.5RS...). That was how we got our first Mazda, an 02 Protege ES. That thing was a blast to toss around! (which originally got me into the 2nd gen 3's when I needed a commuter after the truck).

We had a '13 Infiniti G37 Convertible and the lease was ending. We needed more utility, and one of our favorite cars had been our FX35. I thought about another Infiniti for about a minute, but the QX70 interior is so outdated and due for a refresh, even though it is a hoot to drive IMO it is no longer worth the money. As a multi-time Audi owner, I went to look at the Q5. Didn't drive it because I knew it would drive like my A4 but on stilts. I wasn't blown away with the Q5, and the interior is actually a step down from my A4 because they cheaped out on some of the interior plastics. Also, they weren't offering sport seats in the Premium Plus and the standard seats are short and pretty uncomfortable. I test drove an Acura TLX before I got my A4 and didn't like the interior or the double stack infotainment system. Like paging, I thought it was boring so the RDX was out. I briefly considered the Lexus NX, but they are everywhere and I don't like the exterior styling.

So, that led me to the CX-5. I fell in love with the exterior from the first commercial. I test drove it right after driving my A4, so I wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I surprised. It was actually quieter than the A4 (which is really quiet), relatively nimble and had decent pickup. Nowhere near the A4, but certainly enough power for everyday driving. I was also blown away by the quality of the interior. It was almost to Audi levels and light-years ahead of our old FX35 and G37 Convertible.

Still loving the CX-5 and very happy we went with it.

Last edited:

If USA got i-Stop like us here in OZ or Europe, this issue would not exist to a certain degree.

It is unfortunate the Mazda USA HQ didn't tick this box

Last edited:
It's a CUV, and I am sure it will "do fine". Kindof how I feel about my 2015 model. All bickering aside, these are "vanilla", and they sell in large numbers compared to other types of vehicles, and "what you see, is what you get". You make your choice, and you enjoy your kool-aid.

That said, I have seen a slightly alarming number of lemons on here. Multiple transmission replacements in the same vehicle, etc. I have been on auto forums for a long time, and this is one of the few that I have seen multiple major component failures in the same owner's automobile, ESPECIALLY an automatic transmission. I must admit, the transmission in my CX5 is the one thing I worry daily about.

If I had a 2017 instead of a 2015, this post wouldn't be any different that I can think of.

It's a CUV, and I am sure it will "do fine". Kindof how I feel about my 2015 model. All bickering aside, these are "vanilla", and they sell in large numbers compared to other types of vehicles, and "what you see, is what you get". You make your choice, and you enjoy your kool-aid.

That said, I have seen a slightly alarming number of lemons on here. Multiple transmission replacements in the same vehicle, etc. I have been on auto forums for a long time, and this is one of the few that I have seen multiple major component failures in the same owner's automobile, ESPECIALLY an automatic transmission. I must admit, the transmission in my CX5 is the one thing I worry daily about.

If I had a 2017 instead of a 2015, this post wouldn't be any different that I can think of.

Guess you were never a member of a Jeep GC forum? lol

Maybe due to the environment over there? Seems to be ok here.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Maybe due to the environment over there? Seems to be ok here.
Among 4~5 active posters here from Australia, one has got the transmission replaced in his 2016 CX-5 Akera diesel at 6,500 kms.

Among 4~5 active posters here from Australia, one has got the transmission replaced in his 2016 CX-5 Akera diesel at 6,500 kms.
Hardly a large number. If it was a major issue, would be lots of complaints here. But afaik little if any.

Same gearbox in my 6 and no issues.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Hardly a large number. If it was a major issue, would be lots of complaints here. But afaik little if any.

Same gearbox in my 6 and no issues.

Just the luck of the draw I guess.
I look at things in comparative way. Yeah it's one transmission replacement among 4~5. But we've seen many more here among the US members as we have 20 times more CX-5's here. Not saying there's wide-spread issues on SkyActiv-Drive transmission but I agree with Unobtanium that transmission is one item in my CX-5 making me the most concern. Have we seen anyone who complained the engine got replaced in his/her CX-5? I think I saw one total!

I look at things in comparative way. Yeah it's one transmission replacement among 4~5. But we've seen many more here among the US members as we have 20 times more CX-5's here. Not saying there's wide-spread issues on SkyActiv-Drive transmission but I agree with Unobtanium that transmission is one item in my CX-5 making me the most concern. Have we seen anyone who complained the engine got replaced in his/her CX-5? I think I saw one total!
Fair enough with your concerns.

I have no concerns with the SkyActiv-Drive transmission here in Oz based on its track record here.

If I were to be concerned it would be with the diesel and it's DPF and oil consumption. Prior to 2015 model, there was quite a few issues with it. They appear to have resolved the issue but I would still be wary.

But since I'll be getting the 2.5L petrol, not really concerned.

Last edited:
Anyways, congratulations to those who have purchased one and hopefully in the not to distant future I will join you guys and share my thoughts and experiences.

Apologies for the last few posts that may appear to have taken this thread slightly off topic. That conversation can be continued in another relevant thread.

Last edited:
Guess you were never a member of a Jeep GC forum? lol

Why do you think I sold my Jeep GC? It was a piece of s*** (still had more luxury than even the 2017 GT CX5 in my opinion though) that broke all the time, and once it was out from under the factory 5/100 warranty, I was TERRIFIED of it.

I didn't even see that, and exactly! Noone is complaining about carbon build-up, pistons being melted, or any other issues with the engine. However, transmission? Dude...it's rampant, comparatively. That makes me think that yes, it DOES have issues and is much less reliable than any other part of the vehicle.

We needed more utility, and one of our favorite cars had been our FX35. I thought about another Infiniti for about a minute, but the QX70 interior is so outdated and due for a refresh, even though it is a hoot to drive IMO it is no longer worth the money.

Yeah, can't argue with that. They've milked that center stack and gauge cluster for far too long... especially for the price they charge.

I really enjoy how mine rides. Everything feels like it is in the right place. Sitting high, smooth without feeling "boaty" and responsive steering. I also love the looks inside and out. The HUD is handy and I've enjoyed using the remote trunk open feature quite a bit. Keyless entry is new to me, and I like it!

Only three dislikes:
2. Turning the car off there's no grace period for accessories. It's like unplugging a tv.

The first two have been discussed elsewhere. The third is my "rude awakening" from having driven a hybrid the past 10 years (when the car idles, the ICE is off, so no impact on mileage).

Those are three good criticisms. I actually like the controls on my 14 better. Point 3 is the reason why remote start kills MPG, I have it on my car but never use it.

This car is perfectly positioned for future powertrain upgrades. Can't wait for the diesel.

Only three dislikes:

Is it more of a reach than the first gen models? Considering how much time Mazda focuses on putting all the controls/switches in just the right places, this seems like a major miss. Especially when you consider how much empty dash space they had to work with.

Is it more of a reach than the first gen models? Considering how much time Mazda focuses on putting all the controls/switches in just the right places, this seems like a major miss. Especially when you consider how much empty dash space they had to work with.

I have no idea. Not driven a 1st gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back