Tow hooks?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
After reading about the jack and spare tire in the owners manual I was checking out the spare tire and jack in our new CX-5. I noticed a couple of what appear to be missing parts in the foam jack holder. Going back to the owners manual I see that there should have been two tow hooks, a long and a short hook, in with the jack and stuff.

Did anyone get these two tow hooks with their CX-5? Anyone have a part number for these?

Never mind. After doing what I should have done in the first place, search this forum, I found my answer.

Tow Hook rear. KD5350EJ2B
Tow Hook front. KD5350EJ1B

Yeah Mazda takes away these tie-down / tow hooks from its vehicles at the port of entry after the transportation for MY 2016 and newer. Dealers receive new CX-5's without tie-down hooks although I'd think the vehicles still need them during trucking. My dealer gave me a long / front one found in a new 2015 CX-5, and I purchased the short / rear one costing around $20!

Tiedown Eyelets
2016 CX5 surprised by missing tie-downs
2016 - CX-5 - tow hook ?

Last edited:
I don't think they're supposed to take them.... they're supposed to go back into the trunk!

These are needed in case the car needs to be hoisted onto a flatbed truck for transport. You don't want one of those towtruck guys hooking onto something under your car and screwing it up somehow during the process.

I don't think they're actually tow-hooks and that's why they stopped including them. They're tie-downs so the car doesn't move while on the car ship. Using them as a tow-hook may result in damage.

I know what they are for, as I stated in my post above yours.

Yeah but they're not for hoisting. Only securing. After delivery you only need them if you want to do something like drive it onto a car carrier for transport - which probably already has the hooks anyway.

Tiedown%252520Hooks_01.jpg

Thanks for your replies Craigo.

Here's the thing. If your car needs to be hoisted onto a flatbed truck because the car has broken down and needs to be transported to the shop, or wherever, you DO NOT want the towtruck driver to be hooking his winch cable to any of the components under your car. Most of these towtruck drivers don't care what they hook onto for winching. You need these hooks for the winch cable to hook to. It's not for towing the car at all, it's for safe winching.

My VW spelled this out explicitly and in no uncertain terms. If Mazda says not to do this it's because they are just covering their asses in case it's not done correctly.

YMMV

Thanks for your replies Craigo.

Here's the thing. If your car needs to be hoisted onto a flatbed truck because the car has broken down and needs to be transported to the shop, or wherever, you DO NOT want the towtruck driver to be hooking his winch cable to any of the components under your car. Most of these towtruck drivers don't care what they hook onto for winching. You need these hooks for the winch cable to hook to. It's not for towing the car at all, it's for safe winching.

My VW spelled this out explicitly and in no uncertain terms. If Mazda says not to do this it's because they are just covering their asses in case it's not done correctly.

YMMV

If this were the case they wouldn't have stopped including the hooks.

I texted my salesman about the tow eyelets and he said that he'll order the two missing parts and ship them to me.

I texted my salesman about the tow eyelets and he said that he'll order the two missing parts and ship them to me.
Good for you and he saved you 50 bucks! :)

There was a similar question been asked not long ago:
2016 CX-5 and Canoes

Yeah Mazda has decided taking out these eyelets for 2016 CX-5. But I ordered these to fill these two empty slots on the platform around the spare tire. They are expensive though and here are the part numbers:

KD53-50-EJ1B Hook, Towing $29.29 (List) for front (long)
KD53-50-EJ2B Hook, Towing $19.80 (List) for rear (short)

Personally I'd think these eyelets should be strong enough to tie down your kayaks as it tied down the whole CX-5 during the transportation. Just make sure the eyelets are securely installed.

Spare%252520Tire%252520and%252520Tool%252520Storage_01.jpg
Spare%252520Tire%252520and%252520Tool%252520Storage_02.jpg

Tiedown%252520Hooks_01.jpg
Tiedown%252520Hooks_02.jpg

Now I don't have any empty slots:
Tiedown%252520Hooks.jpg

If this were the case they wouldn't have stopped including the hooks.

apparently it was the case in 2014 but in 2015 The car just got better and didn't need them anymore. No. The tow hooks are the right way to pull the car onto a flatbed or to pull it out of a ditch.

Frank

No, they aren't for hosting.. why would you want your car being hoisted by your crash bar which is held on by 2 or 4 bolts... the proper hoist points are specifically designed holes on the frame rails about 1 foot or so behind the front wheels... it's pretty much the same location on most cars.

No, they aren't for hosting.. why would you want your car being hoisted by your crash bar which is held on by 2 or 4 bolts... the proper hoist points are specifically designed holes on the frame rails about 1 foot or so behind the front wheels... it's pretty much the same location on most cars.

Why do you think that these hooks are included in CX-5s that are sold in other countries but not in this country?

I'll give you one guess and it's not because they aren't needed for hoisting the car.

They are 100 percent for hoisting and/or tie down anchor points during flatbed transport. They've been on cars for years and years. It's not like they're only found on Mazdas.

They are, however, explicitly for hoisting in a forward direction from the front anchor point and only rearward for the rear, and not intended to pull from lateral directions, like yanking a car from a ditch. I'll bet they are regularly misused and it is in this sense, like stated above, that perhaps Mazdas language in their manual serves as a CYA.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They are 100 percent for hoisting and/or tie down anchor points during flatbed transport. They've been on cars for years and years. It's not like they're only found on Mazdas.

They are, however, explicitly for hoisting in a forward direction from the front anchor point and only rearward for the rear, and not intended to pull from lateral directions, like yanking a car from a ditch. I'll bet they are regularly misused and it is in this sense, like stated above, that perhaps Mazdas language in their manual serves as a CYA.

This is exactly right and the reason Mazda has to go into CYA mode on the eyelet tow hooks is because so many of us Americans are too stupid to know what to do with those things or how to use them properly.

The owner's manual from my VW not only says that these hooks must be used to hoist the car onto a flatbed but also that the car can be towed this way. The manual also states that more than one car can be towed at a time using the hooks.

I would not recommend pulling any car in a lateral direction or yanking it from a ditch. If my car was stuck in a ditch and I needed to be pulled out I would screw in the tow hook and have someone pull my car in a direction within a few degrees of the direction the car is pointed while applying power to the wheels.

Back