Is Tech Package worth it?

Just bought the CX-5 GT with tech package and it is fantastic. Blind spot indicators work well, adaptive cruise control is nice for highway driving, and the headlights are superb (they also turn to follow you when your turning the car...) - also like the auto sensing windshield wipers. Nav system is nice, but doesn't take traffic into consideration like Waze does, so I don't use it much.

Overall love the music system --reconnects my iPhone every time I enter the car and starts my music back up (whether it's Apple Music or another music app).

I didn't get the bumper sensors (optional, can be added by the dealer later), but the backup camera projected graphics let me know how close I am to other objects/walls when backing out of or into a parking space.

Autowipers and blind spot sensors aren't tech package items. Or, at least they weren't in 2014. I actually find the autowipers to be a bit annoying, especially at night. They don't work that well.

Dealer is offering $2400 off MSRP for 2016 GT FWD with Tech. Dont know if it's worth it or if I should find a base model.
Definitely to get Tech Package. LED lighting and AFS alone will worth the money!

Dealer is offering $2400 off MSRP for 2016 GT FWD with Tech. Dont know if it's worth it or if I should find a base model.
Also gives me $500 rebate if I finance with Mazda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's your call. I have a 2015 GT. The steering HIDs are great! The navigation is frustrating, to be kind, compared to a Garmin. The SCBS emergency braking laser drives my Valentine1 nuts and that is completely unacceptable. I would not have bought this one had I known. It is covered with black tape for the time being. The auto dimming mirror is typical, with the Homelink garage door opener a useless security risk.

That's your call. I have a 2015 GT. The steering HIDs are great! The navigation is frustrating, to be kind, compared to a Garmin. The SCBS emergency braking laser drives my Valentine1 nuts and that is completely unacceptable. I would not have bought this one had I known. It is covered with black tape for the time being. The auto dimming mirror is typical, with the Homelink garage door opener a useless security risk.

SCBS laser is pretty much the same as driving around with your own lidar gun.

Just bought the CX-5 GT with tech package and it is fantastic. Blind spot indicators work well, adaptive cruise control is nice for highway driving, and the headlights are superb (they also turn to follow you when your turning the car...) - also like the auto sensing windshield wipers. Nav system is nice, but doesn't take traffic into consideration like Waze does, so I don't use it much.

Overall love the music system --reconnects my iPhone every time I enter the car and starts my music back up (whether it's Apple Music or another music app).

I didn't get the bumper sensors (optional, can be added by the dealer later), but the backup camera projected graphics let me know how close I am to other objects/walls when backing out of or into a parking space.
Autowipers and blind spot sensors aren't tech package items. Or, at least they weren't in 2014. I actually find the autowipers to be a bit annoying, especially at night. They don't work that well.
Rain-sensing wipers are standard equipment on GT but are part of Touring Tech Package. I agree the rain-sensing wipers from Mazda are not well made and the action is not as precise as the rain-sensing wipers on our BMW 528i. Not all rain-sensing wipers are created equal!

In US, Blind Spot Monitoring System is standard equipment for Touring and GT. Mazda Radar Cruise Control (adaptive cruise control) is part of i-ActivSense Package on GT. It's not in Tech Package.

tech is worth it. I don't give a crap about SCBS (actually I have have that s*** off most of the time, although I found out when you hard disable TCS it re-enables SCBS so I guess most times I actually have it on :/), or lane change warning. I'm worried when someone mentions how SCBS kept them from crashing >.>. But the Nav, even though it's basic, AFS/HIDS (2015 here) are worth it. The "Premium" sound system is kinda lacking, but the infotainment it provides are nice to have.

I actually find the autowipers to be a bit annoying, especially at night. They don't work that well.

It might be difficult to verify a defect with a feature such as Auto-Wipers (unless they just plain didn't come on when it was raining) but I think you might want to have your dealer verify proper operation. They work via an optical sensor and if the sensor is partially obstructed, has a bit of oil grease on it or is not aimed properly it will affect the operation. It could be as simple as having applied Rain-X or a similar products to the area of the windshield that the sensor looks at. That will change the way a rain looks to the sensor.

I say this because I live and play in one of the rainiest and wettest parts of the U.S. (the North Cascades) and find the auto-wipers to be extremely responsive to conditions and a real gift from above. Ironically, I like to be in control of my environment and I thought I wouldn't like the auto-wipers "doing their thing" but, after three years of usage I'm still amazed at how "hands off" they are.
I might need to adjust the sensitivity by turning the controller on the stock but only for special atmospheric conditions. It's not the norm. In my vehicles with delay wipers (but no auto function) I am constantly needing to adjust my wipers. In the mountains it can go from light mist to downpour (and everything in between) snow/hail/sleet in mere minutes and yet the auto-wipe function adapts quickly and correctly almost every time. If not, I just turn the sensitivity adjuster one way or the other. But generally I just leave it on the 2nd most sensitive position and it just plain works.

Have you applied anything to your windshield? I haven't. Has your windshield been replaced? Maybe the installer messed it up? I'm still on the original windshield after 3+ years.

The best thing about auto-wipers? Let's say the sun is shining but there are still full puddles on the highway from a recent rain shower and an on-coming semi-truck suddenly and unexpectedly douches your car with a huge spray of water. It happens in an instant but before you can react, the auto-wipers come to life and sweep all that water right away. You can see again and the wipers went into action a fraction of a second after being blasted by the truck spray. This has happened a number of times and my auto-wipers have never failed to clear my windshield before I could even hope to.

I'm a convert!

Last edited:
It might be difficult to verify a defect with a feature such as Auto-Wipers (unless they just plain didn't come on when it was raining) but I think you might want to have your dealer verify proper operation. They work via an optical sensor and if the sensor is partially obstructed, has a bit of oil grease on it or is not aimed properly it will affect the operation. It could be as simple as having applied Rain-X or a similar products to the area of the windshield that the sensor looks at. That will change the way a rain looks to the sensor.

I say this because I live and play in one of the rainiest and wettest parts of the U.S. (the North Cascades) and find the auto-wipers to be extremely responsive to conditions and a real gift from above. Ironically, I like to be in control of my environment and I thought I wouldn't like the auto-wipers "doing their thing" but, after three years of usage I'm still amazed at how "hands off" they are.
I might need to adjust the sensitivity by turning the controller on the stock but only for special atmospheric conditions. It's not the norm. In my vehicles with delay wipers (but no auto function) I am constantly needing to adjust my wipers. In the mountains it can go from light mist to downpour (and everything in between) snow/hail/sleet in mere minutes and yet the auto-wipe function adapts quickly and correctly almost every time. If not, I just turn the sensitivity adjuster one way or the other. But generally I just leave it on the 2nd most sensitive position and it just plain works.

Have you applied anything to your windshield? I haven't. Has your windshield been replaced? Maybe the installer messed it up? I'm still on the original windshield after 3+ years.

The best thing about auto-wipers? Let's say the sun is shining but there are still full puddles on the highway from a recent rain shower and an on-coming semi-truck suddenly and unexpectedly douches your car with a huge spray of water. It happens in an instant but before you can react, the auto-wipers come to life and sweep all that water right away. You can see again and the wipers went into action a fraction of a second after being blasted by the truck spray. This has happened a number of times and my auto-wipers have never failed to clear my windshield before I could even hope to.

I'm a convert!

I don't have anything on my windshield nor have had it replaced.

My beef with it is that it always lets too much mist on the windshield at night, even at the highest sensitivity. So I'm always twiddling the knob to engage the wiper. At least with regular old intermittent I can set a timed swipe. Inevitably I end up putting it on one of the constant settings, which is actually less useful than intermittents. There seems to be less of an issue in the day, I'm thinking the sensor doesn't work as well with less light striking it.

I don't have anything on my windshield nor have had it replaced.

My beef with it is that it always lets too much mist on the windshield at night, even at the highest sensitivity. So I'm always twiddling the knob to engage the wiper. At least with regular old intermittent I can set a timed swipe. Inevitably I end up putting it on one of the constant settings, which is actually less useful than intermittents. There seems to be less of an issue in the day, I'm thinking the sensor doesn't work as well with less light striking it.

I drive ALOT at night in the rain and a light mist will turn it on before I even think of it. That's on the second setting and as pitch black as can be. Maybe you should have it checked out. It definitely sounds like something is de-sensitizing it.

Tech Package was not worth it to me. The rear camera, blindspot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert, were all the gadgetry I really wanted...and luckily for me they came standard on the Touring anyway. The Nav is great too and the dealer threw that in for free on Black Friday. Honestly I've been more than satisfied with the standard lights and fogs too, I'm glad I didn't upgrade just to get the LEDs that people seem to rave about. I think I may be one of the few people who don't like the look of LEDs.

Last edited:
I drive ALOT at night in the rain and a light mist will turn it on before I even think of it. That's on the second setting and as pitch black as can be. Maybe you should have it checked out. It definitely sounds like something is de-sensitizing it.

Agreed, mine work the same whether it's night or day. I love when they go into super fast spaz mode when you pass a tractor trailer as it kicks up extra water on your windshield in downpours!

I've been up in the air over the rain sensing wipers. I feel they work well about 80-90% of the time. But there are instances where a light mist will trigger full on wipers, or a heavier mist won't trigger them at all. And there seems to be a delay when you first start the vehicle on a rainy day with the sensing feature on... mine won't wipe until I've been driving for about 5 seconds... annoying in the daytime, obnoxious at night.

Having said that, I was unaware the Intermittent control on the wiper arm controls the sensitivity of that feature. I'll have to try dialing it up a bit, as I think I have it set on the 2nd lowest setting.

Having said that, I was unaware the Intermittent control on the wiper arm controls the sensitivity of that feature. I'll have to try dialing it up a bit, as I think I have it set on the 2nd lowest setting.

I really need to dig into the manual as this is the first I'm hearing about this as well. (thought)

Honestly, I think the led headlights and fog lights alone make it well worth the money. I have never had a car with led or hid lights before, and it is a huge upgrade for me. I'm very glad I have them, as my winter commute is dark in morning and evening.

On a side note, you said the dealership didn't have your choice of color. I purchased my cx-5 last week from my local dealer. They didn't have blue reflex, my choice of color, but they located one and had it shipped to them. No extra costs to me.

Tech Package was not worth it to me. The rear camera, blindspot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert, were all the gadgetry I really wanted...and luckily for me they came standard on the Touring anyway. The Nav is great too and the dealer threw that in for free on Black Friday. Honestly I've been more than satisfied with the standard lights and fogs too, I'm glad I didn't upgrade just to get the LEDs that people seem to rave about. I think I may be one of the few people who don't like the look of LEDs.

+1

Looks are purely subjective, but I think the CX5's LED lights are the best looking on the market, particularly the DRLs. I hate the dotted array style most manufacturers use, and many other DRL LED applications just look gaudy (Mercedes, Cadillac, etc). Further, the AFS is fantastic on highway on/off ramps and windy back roads.

I just hope they last a long time, as replacement units are ridiculously expensive, at least for now.

I found some base GTs in the area. Think Im gonna skip Tech. Could use that extra cash to buy furniture for my new apartment!

Looks are purely subjective, but I think the CX5's LED lights are the best looking on the market, particularly the DRLs. I hate the dotted array style most manufacturers use, and many other DRL LED applications just look gaudy (Mercedes, Cadillac, etc). Further, the AFS is fantastic on highway on/off ramps and windy back roads.

I just hope they last a long time, as replacement units are ridiculously expensive, at least for now.

To be fair, the dotted array that Audi uses in Europe (Matrix) have a functional purpose which makes them significantly more sophisticated than what Mazda offers.

http://youtu.be/kwLiY-J0bJQ

I found some base GTs in the area. Think Im gonna skip Tech. Could use that extra cash to buy furniture for my new apartment!

Just an observation... when I bought my 2016 GT back in April, most of the CX5s on the lot were either Tourings or GTs w/out Tech. Now, every GT they have on the lot has the Tech package. And this is a small dealer that usually only has about 10-12 total CX5s in-stock at a time. My gut tells me that the majority of those going for a GT want the Tech package.

YMMV

Back