CX-5 AWD snow performance

According to Tirerack surveys and professional testing, the Continentals CrossContact were very good.

That's not true if you look at the snow/ice survey ratings (which are the only qualities under discussion here).

The Cross-contact LX20 surveyed higher than I thought (I looked up the Cross-Contact LX which was even lower).

But I wouldn't put much weight in the consumer snow/ice rating regardless because most consumers have very little experience in snow/ice. And you found yourself, they just don't work that well, even at slow speed in a parking lot.

I don't have the Continentals. It is Silverboy.
I wish we had snow here in CA, it has been the driest winter in years :-(

I did take the time to read Consumer Reports reviews as well. Those are the only sources I found. It would be great if there will be more. Tirerack also do professional reviews but I can't find the review I remember reading now.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago I got my CX-5 stuck bad in 8-12" of snow and ice that had been accumulating all season. Oops. It put my attitude in check a bit about what the CX-5 can can't do.

But in the last few days Colorado has had two snow storms, each dumping enough to make the streets a mix of everything: fresh snow, pack snow, snow + ice, ice, slush, wet asphalt.

I haven't had any problems at all driving around in my 2014 2.5L AWD with Nokian Hakkapelleta snow tires on. A couple times I've found unplowed parking lots with 4-6" of snow and going romping around for some fun. I almost drove into a curb island in one, but stopped and avoided it.

Meanwhile, I helped a nice woman with a big F150 try to make a right hand turn on slush and ice. That took about 5 tries to back up, reposition on asphalt, get momentum and try again. In the end she was able to get through by spinning really hard. When it was my turn, I just drove on the ice and made the turn as if it was dry.

This happens regularly.. Not enough to make me feel like the CX-5 is capable of going anywhere -- getting stuck fixed that -- but I'm definitely feeling safe when I drive smartly and safetly on snow bound roads.

Really happy with both the CX-5 and the Nokians.

Two weeks ago I got my CX-5 stuck bad in 8-12" of snow and ice that had been accumulating all season. Oops. It put my attitude in check a bit about what the CX-5 can can't do.

But in the last few days Colorado has had two snow storms, each dumping enough to make the streets a mix of everything: fresh snow, pack snow, snow + ice, ice, slush, wet asphalt.

I haven't had any problems at all driving around in my 2014 2.5L AWD with Nokian Hakkapelleta snow tires on. A couple times I've found unplowed parking lots with 4-6" of snow and going romping around for some fun. I almost drove into a curb island in one, but stopped and avoided it.

Meanwhile, I helped a nice woman with a big F150 try to make a right hand turn on slush and ice. That took about 5 tries to back up, reposition on asphalt, get momentum and try again. In the end she was able to get through by spinning really hard. When it was my turn, I just drove on the ice and made the turn as if it was dry.

This happens regularly.. Not enough to make me feel like the CX-5 is capable of going anywhere -- getting stuck fixed that -- but I'm definitely feeling safe when I drive smartly and safetly on snow bound roads.

Really happy with both the CX-5 and the Nokians.
did you drive her home?

This is the first time in 12 years that I have been looking for an AWD vehicle. Had a 2002 Honda element when they first came out used for one winter actually perform really good with the OEM tires just have a few quirks like suicide back doors, cargo carry limit of 600 pounds, and only seating for 4 people. Seems over the past 12 years all season tires do not perform in snow like they use too.

Been looking for the past couple of months kind of got caught up in the Subaru AWD or nothing videos. But looking around there are more CR-Vs, Rav4s, and Rogues on the roads then the Subaru Foresters or Outbacks so these vehicle most likely have similar AWD systems as the CX-5 I would be fine with snow tires. For the most part driving in bad or deep storm usually occurs when caught off guard or during day when I am at work. Weekends when at home if it is real bad there is no reason to go out in it.

That's not true if you look at the snow/ice survey ratings (which are the only qualities under discussion here).

LOL, if you say so. The LX20 is rated #1 in that category of tires for two of the three "Winter/Snow" subcategories, except "Ice Traction", where the Continental LX Sport has the highest rating and the LX20 is 2nd.

ContiLX20Rating.jpg

MikeM. said:
The Cross-contact LX20 surveyed higher than I thought (I looked up the Cross-Contact LX which was even lower).

But I wouldn't put much weight in the consumer snow/ice rating regardless because most consumers have very little experience in snow/ice. And you found yourself, they just don't work that well, even at slow speed in a parking lot.

Even lower? Is it possible to rate higher than first?

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much weight on opinions backed by nearly 2 million miles of driving...obviously the people behind those miles don't know what they're talking about since the only place it snows in the entire country is Washington.

(rolleyes)

Last edited:
I always check Consumer Reports against the Tire Rack surveys. Sometime when it comes to snow I know the Continental Extreme Contact DWS was rated high in the snow on the surveys on Tire Rack but on Consumer Reports rated below average and was dropped as being recommended. In the case of the Continental Cross Contact LX20 was rated above average on Consumer Reports for snow traction for all season truck tires.

Would probably done the same thing when coming to buy tires winter is hit or miss now days or several snow storms but not on a consistent basis.

LOL, if you say so. The LX20 is rated #1 in that category of tires for two of the three "Winter/Snow" subcategories, except "Ice Traction", where the Continental LX Sport has the highest rating and the LX20 is 2nd.

View attachment 206184

Even lower? Is it possible to rate higher than first?

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much weight on opinions backed by nearly 2 million miles of driving...obviously the people behind those miles don't know what they're talking about since the only place it snows in the entire country is Washington.

(rolleyes)

Congratulations sir, you have experienced MikeM. (MikeD).

I have only driven my CX5 twice in snow (owned it 5 days, heavy snows in MI twice since I picked it up) and I am pretty comfortable that it will be a decent winter car. I came from a Tacoma 4WD with huge snow tires, and before that an 09 Forester 5 speed. I'm not sure why everyone raves that the Subaru system is the best out there- it works, but it has it's limitations. Certainly the CX5 is way more fun to drive, snow or not. Hopefully we only have 4-6 more weeks of winter, but I will definitely look into dedicated snows for next year.

I love all the comparisons of the CX-5 in snow versus other vehicles. In reality, nobody on here can compare the CX-5 to anything else in snow. Because unless you equip both vehicles with the same tires, on the SAME course, with the SAME snow/ice, you can't chose. The most important thing for snow/ice driving is driver. Period. Tires are a distant second. Behind tires, in third place is 4WD/FWD/RWD. And coming in at last place is vehicle. Now the vehicle may enter in third spot for FWD vs. AWD, but otherwise it is the last of the items.

Do NOT discount drivers. Knowing what to do and what not to do is kind of important. And just because you got a Honda Squirrel to slide in the Wally World parking lot doesn't say squat about your driving skill or knowledge. I see the folks that complain about the horrible snow handling of the CX-5 and then I see numerous video of pro drivers sliding the damned thing all over pavement, dirt & snow. Maybe, just maybe, it takes a different technique to slide this one then what you are used to. So, again, it is the DRIVER that is paramount.

Now, notice, that if you have two different vehicles, with different drivers, and different tires, and one makes it up a hill or road, first look at the drivers. Then look at the tires. Then drive wheels. Finally, vehicles. In reality, I have never seen where the difference is vehicles made a difference. It is always in the first three. Swap drivers/tires and you can normally swap results. There is no doubt that vehicles make a difference, but the other items have a huge impact on snow performance.

I have only driven my CX5 twice in snow (owned it 5 days, heavy snows in MI twice since I picked it up) and I am pretty comfortable that it will be a decent winter car. I came from a Tacoma 4WD with huge snow tires, and before that an 09 Forester 5 speed. I'm not sure why everyone raves that the Subaru system is the best out there- it works, but it has it's limitations. Certainly the CX5 is way more fun to drive, snow or not. Hopefully we only have 4-6 more weeks of winter, but I will definitely look into dedicated snows for next year.
I believe the M/T Forester AWD system is less sophisticated than the A/T one which is the industry benchmark.

From Auto Trader:
Subaru's Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system came standard on all versions of the previous-generation Forester. Those models with a manual transmission had an AWD system with a viscous coupling locking center differential and a 50/50 front-to-rear power split under normal driving conditions, with the ability to redistribute power as necessary if the front or rear wheels slipped. Foresters with an automatic transmission were equipped with an Active Torque Split AWD system primarily powering the front wheels until wheel slippage caused a transfer of power to the rear wheels.
These AWD systems are carried over for the redesigned 2014 Forester, and the active version is now offered with an available X-Mode locking feature and Hill Descent Control for greater off-road capability.​

That said, tires are key. All other variables being equal, a FWD with dedicated snow tires will out perform an AWD on all season tires in normal, plowed-road, winter driving conditions. Needless to say, winter tires and AWD will be even better. Test videos for those who didn't see an earlier post: winter vs all season tires here and AWD w/all season vs FWD w/snows here. It's particularly interesting to see the difference in stopping distances on packed snow and on bare pavement in wet weather when temps are between freezing and 45F/7C.

Last edited:
It's nit picking, but you're videos are a comparison of Snow tires vs. Summer tires (or tyres). All season vs. summer is a big difference, just as all season vs. snow tires is a big difference.

That said, in the hill climb video, those "summer" tires looked like all seasons at a quick glance. I wish they displayed the name of the tire.

The first video is definitely summer vs. winter.

Subaru's AWD in a manual transmission is less sophisticated, but probably better for traction, as the car is more balanced and under-steers less and because the torque is available all the time in all wheels. This means you are less likely to plow straight on a turn and less likely to get stuck. It also gets worse fuel economy.
Subaru's Active AWD which comes with the CVT is FWD biased, or mostly FWD. This is more similar to the CX-5 and most other Crossovers. I view this system as better only because it has slightly better brain than other crossovers but certainly not best.
Also, the question which needs to be asked is better at what? For some people, it is not getting stuck. For others, it is better at cornering fast on a dirt road or maybe safer.

I think the CX-5 is better in on-road cornering and feel and is similar, perhaps slightly easier to get stuck with than an automatic Subaru.

Subaru's AWD in a manual transmission is less sophisticated, but probably better for traction, as the car is more balanced and under-steers less and because the torque is available all the time in all wheels. This means you are less likely to plow straight on a turn and less likely to get stuck. It also gets worse fuel economy.
Subaru's Active AWD which comes with the CVT is FWD biased, or mostly FWD. This is more similar to the CX-5 and most other Crossovers. I view this system as better only because it has slightly better brain than other crossovers but certainly not best.
Also, the question which needs to be asked is better at what? For some people, it is not getting stuck. For others, it is better at cornering fast on a dirt road or maybe safer.

I think the CX-5 is better in on-road cornering and feel and is similar, perhaps slightly easier to get stuck with than an automatic Subaru.

Yup, the manual Subaru's utilizes an old fashion viscous coupling system that starts at 50/50 and can distribute almost 100% to one side (front or rear) as required. The system works great in the snow and rain (I had a Outback previously). You never feel the elements, every road was like a dry road. The only negative is that the system requires a keen eye on the viscous fluid. The Outback was ugly as sin and was a real b**** to maintain but the AWD system is very, very good (with the Manual).

Yup, the manual Subaru's utilizes an old fashion viscous coupling system that starts at 50/50 and can distribute almost 100% to one side (front or rear) as required. The system works great in the snow and rain (I had a Outback previously). You never feel the elements, every road was like a dry road. The only negative is that the system requires a keen eye on the viscous fluid. The Outback was ugly as sin and was a real b**** to maintain but the AWD system is very, very good (with the Manual).

Exactly! I have described my Audi cars that way in the past, almost word for word.

Seems that Subaru system you described is similar to the Audi quattro system that I am familiar with. The versions I had were 50/50 split with instantaneous mechanical adjustment through the torsen differential. I frequently told people who asked me about AWD that "my car doesn't care about the weather, driving feels the same all the time". Very sure-footed, stable, and predictable, regardless of conditions.

The front-biased Haldex system in the CX5 has worked just fine for me, even with the stock tires, in what has been a very cold and snowy winter. It has always gotten me from point A to point B. But it does not compare to quattro in terms of driving feel.

Last edited:
Exactly! I have described my Audi cars that way in the past, almost word for word.

Seems that Subaru system you described is similar to the Audi quattro system that I am familiar with. The versions I had were 50/50 split with instantaneous mechanical adjustment through the torsen differential. I frequently told people who asked me about AWD that "my car doesn't care about the weather, driving feels the same all the time". Very sure-footed, stable, and predictable, regardless of conditions.

The front-biased Haldex system in the CX5 has worked just fine for me, even with the stock tires, in what has been a very cold and snowy winter. It has always gotten me from point A to point B. But it does not compare to quattro in terms of driving feel.

Yes, it is a great system that, for pure driving, is unbeatable. The 50/50 split gives a very unique feeling as well. Younger people, who have never driven a rear wheel drive car, often will say that the rear end feels like it is moving. Well, it is actually pushing you!

I actually wanted an Audi A3 AWD but could not find a good one in my price range. The A3 wagon with FWD is a fantastic car. Power to the extreme and just fantastic feel and control. Loved that car.

My old Honda CR-V had the system that was FWD and when it felt a spin would transfer power to the back. The problem was that when you went into a turn, the rear wheels would kick in and the rear end would wash out. Terrible system that was more dangerous than good.

So far, the CX-5 has been OK in the snow and ice. Not a Subaru but better than the CR-V. I drive it as if it is a FWD vehicle as to be careful.

I was looking at the Outback but comments I have read is the car is excellent up to 100k but after that the repairs begin. In addition I was looking at the Forester XT but in their forum have read issues with hard starts, heater, some with steering, maybe oil consumption,etc and this is in the first year of ownership. Seems to be accepted I really need a reliable vehicle to handle the occasional snow storm.

Back