What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Tonight I bought replacement rotors and pads for our 2008 Mazda5 with 62,000 miles. I went with Centric Premium front and rear rotors and Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic front and rear pads from Auto Parts Warehouse. With a $25 coupon code (AFF25EAPW), the grand total was $287 with free shipping. Then, I went to Rock Auto and bought a pair of KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks (an upgrade from twin-tube to mono-tube design) KYB#551105. The pair cost $97.58 plus $9.00 to ship. That price is about $8 less per shock than I found anywhere else.

What ones did you go with and where from? Thanks.

I purchased them from a ebay vendor
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned).

The rotors looked great however the rear pads were not correct for our vehicle. I had to go to auto zone and confirmed they were wrong. I emailed the vendor about this and I'm awaiting their response. On a side note installing the pads and rotors was not a walk in the park. I did buy correct set of rear pads and I also had to rent that tool to screw in the rear caliper piston. I like the look of the rotors and the butt meter says the car stops better lol. Here are a couple pics

20130812_153351_zpsdb3f804d.jpg

20130812_153329_zpsce43c6d4.jpg

^^^ Same, give up the goods :-D

These also work as a stand alone unit. With the car gone, you can block it off completely, but there is also a screen there. You can leave the campsite for the day, and back up to it again. That being said.. it takes some practice to get it just right..lol

^^I would ruin the damned thing backing over it for sure! LOL That is awesome, you got me wanting to try that out. I'm sure that comes in handy when it rains like crazy.

8200, 8400, or 8600 tent?

I am pretty sure it is the 86000, I'll check the box tomorrow...
I was so excited about the tent again, we actually went camping last night!!! My only complaint was that you can't really open and latch the sliding doors with the tent in place. Maybe it could be pulled back a bit... not sure. You can open it probably 3/4's, and just hold the door.
I didn't really need to get in there, also you have pretty good access from the rear.
Anyway.. Pics from yesterday!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Over last weekend I replaced the rear shocks on our 2008 Mazda5 and installed the new rotors and pads I wrote about earlier. The rear shocks were pretty straightforward. See the pics below. The brake job was another matter. It's not the first brake job I've done, but it was the toughest. The car only has 62,000 miles and is 5 years old but the front rotors were so seized onto the wheel hubs that no amount of penetrating spray (tri-flow or liquid wrench) helped. I had to beat on them with a 4lb mallet until the rotor broke and I could pry the center piece off the hub with a claw hammer. By comparison, the rear rotors came off very cleanly. The final install looks great. The car is my wife's and so I've driven it only briefly since the new brakes and shocks. I did do a couple series of moderate stops from 45mph - 20mph to help bed the new brakes in but I haven't driven enough to detect a ride improvement from the shocks. Some pics are below.

Brake Job 02.jpg
Brake Job 03.jpg
Brake Job 04.jpg
Rear Shocks 01.jpg
Rear Shocks 02.jpg

Tonight I bought replacement rotors and pads for our 2008 Mazda5 with 62,000 miles. I went with Centric Premium front and rear rotors and Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic front and rear pads from Auto Parts Warehouse. With a $25 coupon code (AFF25EAPW), the grand total was $287 with free shipping. Then, I went to Rock Auto and bought a pair of KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks (an upgrade from twin-tube to mono-tube design) KYB#551105. The pair cost $97.58 plus $9.00 to ship. That price is about $8 less per shock than I found anywhere else.

Wow, that bad huh? I guess that's another indication of how under-spec'd the 5 is from the factory on the front brakes. :( They've probably overheated enough to seize onto the hubs. :(

Over last weekend I replaced the rear shocks on our 2008 Mazda5 and installed the new rotors and pads I wrote about earlier. The rear shocks were pretty straightforward. See the pics below. The brake job was another matter. It's not the first brake job I've done, but it was the toughest. The car only has 62,000 miles and is 5 years old but the front rotors were so seized onto the wheel hubs that no amount of penetrating spray (tri-flow or liquid wrench) helped. I had to beat on them with a 4lb mallet until the rotor broke and I could pry the center piece off the hub with a claw hammer. By comparison, the rear rotors came off very cleanly. The final install looks great. The car is my wife's and so I've driven it only briefly since the new brakes and shocks. I did do a couple series of moderate stops from 45mph - 20mph to help bed the new brakes in but I haven't driven enough to detect a ride improvement from the shocks. Some pics are below.

View attachment 204021
View attachment 204022
View attachment 204023
View attachment 204024
View attachment 204025

Mark please report back on the rear shock improvement once you determine it. The OEM shocks are the twin tube design which tend to provide a softer ride. The newly released KYB Gas-A-Just are mono tube design which are suppose to be a firmer more sporty feel. I'm definitely going that route but it nice to hear back from someone that has them on already about their performance and difference in ride. TIA

View attachment 204021
View attachment 204022
View attachment 204023
View attachment 204024
View attachment 204025
WOW! I would have never thought the rotor could break like that before it comes off! Quick question, did you only hit at the rotor from the rear? Looking at the deep grooves on the back side, that might have been a problem. My previous car's rotors were rusted on too (Hamptons car, notorious for salt abuse) but a 4lb mini sledge took it off pretty easily hitting it at from the front. This translates countervailing (?) forces to the opposite site. Think of a top, if you press on one side, the other rises. Bigger BFH would have made it even quicker. Front side allows a nice golfer/batter stance to give it a really good whack.

JMO, for anyone needing to replace pads AND rotors, consider upgrading to MS3 front brakes! Refurb parts are now readily available online and the only other parts you need are the calipers w/ brackets, which only run you ~$200 on top (MS3 pads and rotors cost marginally more but you do need spacers to fit OE rims). The improvement is WELL worth it! It is also an excuse to replace your brake fluid, not just top off :) The different between an accident/fender bender/and avoiding it all is but a few feet/inches and the MS3 brakes + better components definitely nets a noticeable improvement.

Note to self **Never ever buy a car from up north**
Note taken! But I don't have a choice. (cry)

Last edited:
Back