What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hello, a couple of newbie questions here.

Second, am I reading right that folks are actually getting their cars for around invoice out the door in some cases? Can anyone point me to a guide for what we should be expecting to pay in terms of licensing, dealer fees, delivery and other BS they throw on to make the offer price look better than it really is, and how to argue these down? Having never bought a new car before (CPO made sense right up until a couple of years ago), I'm new to this game.

You are going to pay a $795 delivery fee for any 2014 CX-5 you buy. There is no negotiating there. As far as negotiating goes, i am no expert, but i have been told by people who sold cars for a living a few pieces of advice.

1) Never tell them what price you want in terms of a monthly payment. They will find a way to make it work that eventually works in their favor.

2) Negotiate the price of the car first and then the trade-in value after the sale price is firm. If you are just looking for a certain price, they will give you a deal on the car and then less for your trade-in, or vice versa.

3) (i didn't do this)- but one (former salesman) friend told me to go in and offer 'cash plus'. Basically, you offer to pay what the dealership paid for the car plus a certain amount. He said the dealership is legally obligated to tell you what they paid for the car. So if you just tell them you will pay that plus a thousand dollars for example, that sometimes reduces the haggling. That way they make money on the car, and you get a deal that's under MSRP. Someone else can confirm or deny this.

4) Know your stuff. Know what you want (or at least want to test drive) before you go to the dealership. Answer as many questions for yourself that you can. I have found that on most of my test-drives, i knew more than the salesman about the car.

I've only bought 2 of my 5 cars from a dealership. With my last one, i had to request to talk to the guy who appraised my trade-in. I made him take me out to my car and show/tell me why he valued it at what he did. In the end, i got about $750 added to the trade-in after getting a good deal on the new car to begin with. MSRP on mine (2014 Touring w/ moon roof/bose) was 26,540 and walk-out ended up being 28,094. and that was with some add-ons (dvd headrests, mats/cover, fabric protection)

Good luck with your car-buying experience!

Last edited:
You are going to pay a $795 delivery fee for any 2014 CX-5 you buy. There is no negotiating there. As far as negotiating goes, i am no expert, but i have been told by people who sold cars for a living a few pieces of advice.

1) Never tell them what price you want in terms of a monthly payment. They will find a way to make it work that eventually works in their favor.
I've only bought 2 of my 5 cars from a dealership. With my last one, i had to request to talk to the guy who appraised my trade-in. I made him take me out to my car and show/tell me why he valued it at what he did. In the end, i got about $750 added to the trade-in after getting a good deal on the new car to begin with. MSRP on mine (2014 Touring w/ moon roof/bose) was 26,540 and walk-out ended up being 28,094. and that was with some add-ons (dvd headrests, mats/cover, fabric protection)

Thanks! This is sort of what I was going for. I'm not trading in - we just moved out to the 'burbs and so need an extra car - and I'm very familiar, from the finance side of things, with the tricks they can play as to monthly payments etc.; I'm more concerned about knowing what extra fees are going to get tacked onto the sale price. Knowing the $795 delivery fee is helpful; knowing what else they're going to throw at me in terms of "extras" (Undercoating! Rust protection! Wheel protection plan!) and whether they're worth it, and what other BS fees (documentation, etc.) I should try to shoot down entirely, is really what I'd like to be armed with going into the dealer.

Looking at a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD Meteor Gray w/out the tech package. Emailed a few dealerships, including the one that I test drove at. He wrote back this:

"The base price is $30,220. I will work out a deal with you for sure and I want to be the cheapest to earn your business. Can I just beat ALL of your other quotes and make it a deal? We have 0.9% APR for 60 months available this month on '14 CX-5's if that helps."

I wanted:

Rear Parking Sensors
Roof Rack
Retractable Cargo Cover
Door Sill Trim Plates
Rear Bumper Guard

He didn't mention those but they were in the quote page. And considering the base price plus delivery for the GT AWD is $29,865 or something, it might be true.

What do you think I can do here, best case?

edit: I take that price back - it's $30,220 without delivery charge ($795) - just did the math.

So I wonder if they won't charge that, or if he just omitted that.

Last edited:
Hi b_scott, I pulled MSRP prices from edmunds.com for features you listed above:

Rear Parking Sensors - 475
Roof Rack - 250
Retractable Cargo Cover - 200
Door Sill Trim Plates - 125
Rear Bumper Guard - 100
Total: 1,150

All that stuff, you can get from amazon.com or other websites like mazdagear.com, mazdaparts.org often at invoice price or cheaper. Installation is mostly easy, excluding rear parking sensors, which in my opinion are useless as backup camera doing the same job. But that all doesn't matter in the daily driving. What matter and I believe really worth the money is the tech package (MSRP 1,625). I've got my Sky Blue 2014 GT AWD with tech pack for $30,080 (delivery fee included) before TTL. I'm living in Vermont and have only couple of dealerships within 100 miles range. Since I want the Sky Blue, I need to go and buy out of state in NY, 120 miles away. The quote was sent to me via email without any additional calls or negotiations. I really enjoy bi-xenon, advance key less entry, and auto dimming rear mirror. GPS has some bugs, but works fine even in Canada. If you will decide to install any of extras thereafter, go ahead. I installed cargo cover, door sill plates, dead pedal, and led day time running lights.
The price for your configuration should be at invoice of $29,754 or couple hundred below DESTINATION FEE INCLUDED. Don't play their game... Good luck!

P.S. No trade-in was involved, no military or other rebates, not Mazda owner.

Last edited:
thanks a bunch!

Yeah I just don't know that we need the tech package. Though the locks are neat, they may be confusing at least to others. GPS = my iPhone. Auto dimming may be alright, but it's not a necessity. The bi-xenon might be nice.

But if we could get it thrown in almost, then I'd probably just take it. Seems like most have it.

thanks a bunch!

Yeah I just don't know that we need the tech package. Though the locks are neat, they may be confusing at least to others. GPS = my iPhone. Auto dimming may be alright, but it's not a necessity. The bi-xenon might be nice.

But if we could get it thrown in almost, then I'd probably just take it. Seems like most have it.
I paid $29,200 for a Crystal White Pearl AWD ($200 extra for the white pearl paint) WITH Tech Package.
$29,200 includes destination but not TTL, also got $500 off for Mazda Loyalty rebate. I traded in an '06 3 GT hatch. The price I got might be bc of my trade in but others on here have gotten around the same price or lower without a trade in.
So if you add the $500 Mazda Rebate back to my purchase price & minus $200 for the pearl paint, ideally you can buy a GT with Tech for ~$29,500 incl destination bf TTL.
Good luck. I'm sure Autobarn will go lower.

Last edited:
I paid $29,200 for a Crystal White Pearl AWD ($200 extra for the white pearl paint) WITH Tech Package.
$29,200 includes destination but not TTL, also got $500 off for Mazda Loyalty rebate. I traded in an '06 3 GT hatch. The price I got might be bc of my trade in but others on here have gotten around the same price or lower without a trade in.
So if you add the $500 Mazda Rebate back to my purchase price & minus $200 for the pearl paint, ideally you can buy a GT with Tech for ~$29,500 incl destination bf TTL.

Woof. While you were writing this, I was signing the P&S on a GT with roof rack but no tech package, for $29,108, including destination but before TTL. No trade, and I actually passed on a lower offer out of state because buying close to home was worth a couple hundred bucks extra to me (as in, if you offered me $400 to drive to the out-of-state dealer and back, I'd probably say no). That said, this was still a good $500 below most of the offers I was getting by email from my local dealerships.

thanks! well now at least I have some sort of idea what I should be paying. I know it could be different in high sales areas though - they may be less willing to negotiate if they're flying off the shelves so to speak.

what kind of prices are people paying for '14 GT AWD w/out tech? $28K reasonable?

Woof. While you were writing this, I was signing the P&S on a GT with roof rack but no tech package, for $29,108, including destination but before TTL. No trade, and I actually passed on a lower offer out of state because buying close to home was worth a couple hundred bucks extra to me (as in, if you offered me $400 to drive to the out-of-state dealer and back, I'd probably say no). That said, this was still a good $500 below most of the offers I was getting by email from my local dealerships.
Was wondering which color you got (White extra $200) and what their opening offer they gave you?) thanks

Was wondering which color you got (White extra $200) and what their opening offer they gave you?) thanks

Storm blue mica. They asked me for a number first; I said $29k even, because I actually asked for the price I wanted to pay rather than low-balling. They came back with 29.7, I think? I said no; we ended up at 29.1.

Storm blue mica. They asked me for a number first; I said $29k even, because I actually asked for the price I wanted to pay rather than low-balling. They came back with 29.7, I think? I said no; we ended up at 29.1.

Interesting.....thanks for getting back so quick... That's a great price you got with what came with it....I've looked once so far and like what i see. Salesman said if I want, I can take a vehicle home over night to really look it over. Think i'm going to take him up on that.

Interesting.....thanks for getting back so quick... That's a great price you got with what came with it....I've looked once so far and like what i see. Salesman said if I want, I can take a vehicle home over night to really look it over. Think i'm going to take him up on that.

Check out Flood Mazda in Rhode Island - they actually had a (very slightly) better price on the same car. I felt bad not giving them my business but we didn't have time to wait.

Check out Flood Mazda in Rhode Island - they actually had a (very slightly) better price on the same car. I felt bad not giving them my business but we didn't have time to wait.

THANKS, best of luck with your new CX-5, enjoy.....

If I may ask, which dealer is that?

WITH all due respect.......I'll let you know after they let me 'borrow' it. and I make my purchase. After that i don't care....I'll post back to you.
With all due respect, I was asking cjd260 as per the included quote in my question post. And s/he replied.

Kirkland WA, purchased this weekend Liquid Silver 2014 GT Tech Package, bumper guard, roof rail, 30,560. I coulda haggled at the dealer, but got the deal all done after doing a test drive earlier in the day over text and telephone. Free car washes for life isn't too shabby either.

CX-5 Competitive Incentive?

Dear all,
Has anyone heard of "competitive incentive" (below), besides "military incentive" and "loyalty incentive"? I got this from Consumer Report, but couldn't verify it in the web. I would like to if it is real and applicable before I walk in to dealership.
Thanks in advance.

Competitive IncentiveCompetitive Bonus Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases to customers who currently own one of the following: 2004 or newer Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra, Hyundai Elantra, Volkswagen Jetta, or Subaru Impreza. Trade-in or lease termination is not required. Offer is not transferable within household. Must be applied as capital cost reduction. Incentives subject to change. (Expires 2013-09-03) $500

Back