Headrest problem

katrinka

:
cx 5
I am new to this forum, and I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death. But we are planning to buy a CX-5 and are really struggling with the headrest issue. I understand that the whiplash protection is the source of it, but it is so uncomfortable for me, that I need to find some way of addressing it. Suggestions have included (on the web) reversing them, or buying used Mazda headrests from ebay. Has anybody done this. I understand from my dealer that the pre-2009 headrest from any vehicle will fit. I am hoping others have dealt with this. Thanks.

In my 2014 I have to lean my head back to touch the headrest - I am really not certain how this affects people. I'm not saying that it doesn't - just that I haven't been able to figure out what people are referring to about it being too far forward.

I am new to this forum, and I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death. But we are planning to buy a CX-5 and are really struggling with the headrest issue. I understand that the whiplash protection is the source of it, but it is so uncomfortable for me, that I need to find some way of addressing it. Suggestions have included (on the web) reversing them, or buying used Mazda headrests from ebay. Has anybody done this. I understand from my dealer that the pre-2009 headrest from any vehicle will fit. I am hoping others have dealt with this. Thanks.

May I ask what is your height?

I'm wodering if that makes a differences for some people. I'm 6'6" and my GF is 5'10" and we have no issues with headrest, armrest, or leg room for that matter. Possiably the headrest hits at an odd places for shorter stature people?

In my 2014 I have to lean my head back to touch the headrest - I am really not certain how this affects people. I'm not saying that it doesn't - just that I haven't been able to figure out what people are referring to about it being too far forward.

It all depends on the position of the seat back. People that like the seat back reclined more likely won't notice the headrests but if you like having the seat back more upright it will push your head forward.

When I first got ours it took a fair amount of adjusting the seat angles to get it to where the angle of the seat back wasn't bad for me and the headrest wasn't pushing my head forward. And the real fun with the headrest right at my head is every time I'd go over a bump in the road it would smack me in the back of the head.

I think on test drives people probably tend to sit a bit more straight and alert, checking everything out, so it isn't as noticeable until you relax more and lean back more.

I can get it adjusted pretty comfortable now but would still prefer to have the seat leaned more upright and the headrest back about an inch.

Some of the other countries get really cool ones where the headrest doesn't come forward except when needed in a collision.

As to fitting other headrests in it, I think I tried the ones from our 3 and they didn't fit.

Trevor
Mazda CX-5 Accessories (and oil and filters)

My dealer told me that earlier Mazda headrests would fit. So I was thinking about buying a couple on ebay. We would have leather put on the Touring model anyway (post-factory) so I thought he could recover these in the same leather. It seems like a lot of effort. On the otherhand, it seems foolish not to buy a wonderful car because the headrests are uncomfortable. I take it no one else has had the same degree of problem as I do -- I might add that I am quite short. BTW, someone suggested buying neckrests which apparently attach below the headrest. Saw these on the web, too. Katrinka

I don't have any issue with the headrest.

Same experience here, (2 drivers at 5'9" and 5'2").

I've seen how bad whiplash injuries can be, so I will not alter these headrests carefully designed for purposes of injury prevention.

I don't have any issue with the headrest.

Ditto. I've never noticed they affect me in any way. Wifey says the same. 6'-04" and 5'-07".

Maybe we need to discuss what kind of hairdo's we all have? I can see them getting in the way with one of these:

attachment.php

I find them annoying. Our passenger seat headrest is turned backwards (which is quite comfortable). I rotated the driver seat back and forth until I found a comfortable position with the seat (or more likely just got used to it).

^ Good example of poor driving position, not conducive to control or safety.

you get used to it BUT saying that if I wear my hair up high I am very uncomfortable so now have to wear hair down and put it up once I reach my destination.

Vanity over safety...take safety any day.

Back