Idle issues

Boston5761

:
03' Familia
Recently replaced coil packs, plug wires and plugs. Ever since I've had a weird idling problem.

When the cars cold, it idles fine, once it begins to warm up the idle will dip to 300-600 range. It'll idle fine again for the most part once it sits for a second in neutral, even once the car is warm. It only really seems to idle weird right after putting the car into neutral at a stop light. Give it five seconds or so and it'll bounce back up to the 750 range.

example:

If im pulling up to a stop sign and put the car into neutral and come to a stop the idle dips, 200-300 rpms. Give it five seconds or so and it returns to the normal 750-800 range.

Any ideas?

Not yet, I do plan to just replace it rather than clean it. Thinking about cleaning the maf today.

Not sure what to use to clean it with though.

Should be able to find it at your local auto parts store

Attachments

• crc.jpg
    crc.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 165
Just went out and cranked the car and let it idle for five minutes and the car idles fine, even after warming up.

It only has issues while driving...

Why do you think it would be the alternator? It's just charging your battery. If your battery is weak because the alternator isn't charging it, your engine would stop firing consistently: cylinder 1, 2, and 3 might fire but 4 would stop firing. Then 3 will stop firing too, or whatever, this is just hypothetical. It wouldn't reduce your idle.

New Update :

The idling sucks when the air is on. Idle bounces from 350-700, fans kick on and off.

Last edited:
i had some what of the same problem with my 3 and when i changed plugs and gaped them to .45 she idles super smooth the factory gaps them at like .75 so its just a thought i helped me and its super easy to do, if not good luck.

Clean the Idle Air Controller (IAC). When the air is on - the idle should come up to compensate for the additional load of the compressor when it cycles 'on'.

Another common cause of idle issues is cracks in the "accordion" intake pipe that extends from the air filter box to the throttle. Inspect that throughly.

So was the issue due to the IAC?
any pics as to where that is located?
sure seems like this mystery issue is turning a lot of people off.....

I see you're bumping some pretty old threads...I know you get asked to 'search' before posting, but this site's search function is complete trash...always has been...not to mention the common habit of members finally fixing whatever it was they had a problem with, and never posting what it was exactly...and you get thousands of dead ends, such as this thread...

just make a new thread describing your problem...a lot has been learned about this some of this stuff, some of which is pretty recent...it'll be a lot easier to address whatever problem you are currently having...

Back