Aftermarket turbo not lining up with the downpipe

destineal

Contributor
:
Black Mica #129
So I bought a used T28 a while back (Garret TB2804 (T3/T25 combination)) from a Nissan Pulsar GTiR. I got a new dp gasket only to find out that it is not lining up to the turbo. It lines up to the MSP turbo and the dp, so this t28 must use a different bolt pattern, but I was not aware of this one

2012-12-02010312.jpg

The only options I see are to either put the msp turbo back in(sigh......), dremel the dp bolt hole\gasket hole(Do not want), or just leave that bolt off.

Does anyone know this bolt pattern? It looks just like the msp to me, thats why I bought it..

I know with the Speed3 and 6's they have to slot one of the mounting bolt holes to mount a T3 DP. I'm sure slotting one hole won't be a problem.

When I asked about getting a GT28, I was told that the Nissan GT28 will NOT fit with the MSP. They're the same turbo, just slightly different flanges. If you can find a picture of both, it's hard to see difference, but it's there.

so nissan t28 turbos have different flanges than all aftermarket turbos?/ is the MSP downpipe a standard fitting or special to MSPs aswell?
Was just considering picking up a t28 when getting a msp, good thing i saw this post though.

Garrett has 2 different flanges for the t28/Gt28 series.

Look here. http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/87660-what-turbo.html

Looks like you have the common 5 bolt setup on that t28 The only answer would be to slot the hole that doesn't fit right. I had to do a bit of grinding on my pope DP to make it fit my Nissan S14 turbo. Not much. Just a little finessing. Remember that the DP was cast and castig can have slight deviations between pieces and still work for the majority of users.

Last edited:
Correct for making oval holes.

I actually had to grind a couple to make mine fit right.

What does the match-up look like on your MSP turbo? Is it absolutely perfect?

Last edited:
You can make your own gasket $8 at napa and then slot holes or leave one bolt off, I only have 4 on my 323 and it doesn't leak

Correct for making oval holes.

I actually had to grind a couple to make mine fit right.

What does the match-up look like on your MSP turbo? Is it absolutely perfect?
Gasket matches msp turbo and my pope dp came off the msp turbo.

I think Nissan turbos are a little different then the standard Garrett bolt pattern. If you look at the gaskets they sell on Ebay a lot of them have the one hole slotted, for this reason.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

If you want to use that turbo, your best bet is probably just to slot the one hole.

Slotting my beautiful pope down pipe is the answer. She will be ugly, but I will love her the same.

Nobody will ever notice, if your that concerned about someone seeing it order some stage 8 bolts and it will cover that up

Well, it's good to know I wasn't imagining things when I replaced my stocker with a Nissan t25 and found one bolt was shifted slightly. But it only took 10 minutes with a dremel to get everything fitting correctly. For the life of me though, I can't imagine why anyone thought it would be a good idea (whether it was Garret or Nissan) to make two virtually identical flanges, with the only difference being a minutely-shifted bolt location.

If you're really freaked out about having a slot in either the turbo's flange or the DP...you could fill the particular DP hole with something like QuickSteel (it works if you follow the directions EXACTLY and let it cure at least a day, not 15 minutes like it says)...then drill a single hole to fit your setup...Motorcycle guys use that all the time to line up aftermarket exhaust systems...

Back