2.0 Petrol or 2.2 Diesel?

Kjendal

:
CX-5 Sport Nav
Hi there,

I have ordered a Sport Nav here in the UK at the beginning of September, however delivery is estimated at January 2013.

I initially ordered the Manual 2.0L Petrol engine but now im having second thoughts as it might not be powerful enough on hills, overtaking etc.

I am considering going back to the dealer and cancelling the order and re-ordering it as a 2.2 Diesel.

Am i just being silly here, or can anyone provide advice on the engine types?

Anyone got a 2.0L petrol that can give some feedback?

Thank-you

Every cx-5 in north america is a petrol. Its no rocket, thats for sure. But i also have the awd automatic. Id like a bit more power but its adequate. My 05 escape with a 3 l v6 wasnt much quicker if any though.

Last edited:
If the diesel makes a good bit more power than go for that. The FWD sport with a manual is barely adequate. Folks with the awd auto's got it tough for sure with only 150hp.

Whats the hp and tq difference?

Kjendal......As I said diesel all the way for me. I've been driving since I was 17....I'm 43 now! I've owned around 10 cars in that time, only the last two being diesel. I think me buying petrol was because thats what my dad always had and still has! Diesels were always seen as being dirty, nosiy "tractors or Taxis" They have come a long way and now. A 150 BHP Diesel has so much mor torque and umph than a 150 BHP petrol. All I can say is test drive a diesel and compare and when you do don't just tickle the accelerator, really push it hard to test it, low and high gears. Thats what they're there for after all to help you decide. Why did you initially go for petrol?

Hi there,

I have ordered a Sport Nav here in the UK at the beginning of September, however delivery is estimated at January 2013.

I initially ordered the Manual 2.0L Petrol engine but now im having second thoughts as it might not be powerful enough on hills, overtaking etc.

I am considering going back to the dealer and cancelling the order and re-ordering it as a 2.2 Diesel.

Thank-you

All the reports I've read in UK and from other countries that have both diesel and petrol, say the 'better' of the two is the diesel. But it depends on what factors you prioritise. WhatCar recently reviewed the petrol (and previously a diesel) and they gave both 4 stars. I have the diesel because I like the torque and it has very good mpg, low CO[SUB]2[/SUB] and for a diesel is quiet. See here

Another point is the resale especially in the UK will be so much better. It will hold its value better and you get more mpg to boot! Even with diesel being more expensive than petrol it will work out better over time and the diesel is so much more fun to drive.

Hi there,

Thank-you

Hi Kjendal Did you get my private message? seem to have trouble sending!

My dealer wouldn't let me test drive the petrol demonstrator he had when I was looking to order a diesel - he insisted I wait for a diesel demonstrator to come into stock with caveat that if I didn't like it (the diesel) I could cancel and walk away. He suggested I would be underwhelmed by the petrol so given I was already ordering the 175hp diesel I was happy to give the petrol test drive a miss.
Based on comments from our US friends my impression is they will be chalk and cheese. If you want to rev the nuts off it get the petrol, if you want effortless acceleration and cruising at low (quiet) revs then get either diesel. It's not about the power it's about the torque, and the diesels both have oodles of it in comparison to the petrol.

One thing I'd mention is I think your petrol engine makes a 'lil bit more power than the one we have here in the States, as I think yours uses Premium fuel, yes? So we may not be comparing quite the same thing.

Still, in nearly 2,000 miles with my petrol in all sorts of conditions, I've never ever wished for more power, nor have I needed to rev it like crazy all the time. And I'm not a pokey driver; I came from a sports car and I still enjoy driving with some enthusiasm ;) All this stuff about trouble on hills and onramps I just never experienced.

Still though, if you can afford the extra cost for the diesel, and if finding diesel fuel is easy over there (it's not always easy to find here in some parts of the States), and if the "rising oil level" concerns don't worry you... all that torque has gotta be amusing :)

go diesel if its not too much more $$ and fuel costs same or less then unleaded. You'll benefit from resell, extra torque, and better fuel economy.

that said, I am fine with my Sport 6MT but totally hated the Auto trans

The good news is, I contacted the dealer and now have swapped to the Diesel Version.

Just in time by the looks of it, because about 30 mins after switching the engine the order became "locked for production" by Mazda in Japan.

The good news is, I contacted the dealer and now have swapped to the Diesel Version.

Just in time by the looks of it, because about 30 mins after switching the engine the order became "locked for production" by Mazda in Japan.

You wont be disappointed. 150 or 175BHP?

You wont be disappointed. 150 or 175BHP?

Had to go for the 150 as I have the FWD option. For the extra 30 a month, it seemed worth it, torque wise. Coming from the BMW, I am used to the pull, so I think i would seriously notice the lack of pull at low revs in the Petrol model.

Sometimes I get ready to hunt for "7th gear" in the US gas version when I'm cruising then put my hand on the shifter and realize I'm already in 6th. So it has adequate power. But loaded up... I don't know yet. I've only driven around with me and two others and nothing in the boot. I am pleasantly surprised by how decently 6th gear does up hills... but you have to be higher in the revs.

DO NOT buy the diesel! I just canceled my order. Type in google search: "mazda cx 5 oil rising problem".

Sometimes I get ready to hunt for "7th gear" in the US gas version when I'm cruising then put my hand on the shifter and realize I'm already in 6th. So it has adequate power. But loaded up... I don't know yet. I've only driven around with me and two others and nothing in the boot. I am pleasantly surprised by how decently 6th gear does up hills... but you have to be higher in the revs.

Can some please explain to me about having to Rev petrol engines to get the best out of them? Does this mean to rag it in the low gears? Also how can you possibly get to high revs in 6th gear? I'm not being funny here I honestly just don't understand it.

Do not eat Bacon! Google "Eating bacon"!(hand)

:) you tell 'em Applauso!
DO EAT BACON , DO BUY THE DIESEL! Think I'll start referring to my CX5 as the bacon burner in future ;)
Obviously diesel is bad for me, but hey I like it!

Bacon

Do not eat Bacon! Google "Eating bacon"!(hand)

Ha, Ha...!!! :) Wittily!

Bacon doesnt cost 38.000 euros !!!

You can throw the bacon in the trash, but Mazda(38.000euros)???
You are free to buy a Mazda, I will certainly not!
I will buy bacon and eat it in BMW !!! :)

Back