Radio / Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model

hollis

:
2013 CX-5 6MT SPORT
View attachment CX-5 Wiring Diagram (3).pdf
View attachment MazdaRadioPinOut.pdf

I have a SPORT model without the 5.8" radio display, just a stock CD player radio.
The stock speakers are okay, but find them sounding quite on the muddy side with lack of clarity in mids and highs.

I understand there are 6.5" speakers in the front and rear door panels.

some questions,

- anyone know the depth allowance in front and rear?
I am eyeing these for replacements:
Polk Audio DB651s, dont think I can use the DB650 with factory grills as their tweeters are not flush, extend like 1"
good reviews and popularity on amazon and crutchfield.

- is there any wiring in the front left/right and center dash locations?
- wondering if its possible to add on speakers in there and powered by the stock radio

- Anyone have any idea how to access the front left/right and center dash speaker locations? I guess have to remove the whole top of the dash

Thanks

Last edited:
The speakers are built into plastic pods, pita. A local shop is building an adapter to install an 8 inch speaker. The front dash left/right speakers have covers that pop out (the space is designed for a 3.5inch speaker and are prewired). Not sure about the center.

At lower volumes I dont have any qualms, but when the windows are open and the music is blaring the bass distorts the mids. I feel like the stereo is fine and if the speakers are changed it will sound better. Anyone do this yet; just change the door speakers? Also anyone add a small speaker in the top of the dash?

How does the front left and right speaker covers pop out? pry up on the far outside of it closest to the door?

What speakers did you put in there? Did you need a harness adapter?

The top three grills are all easily removed with a little flat head screw driver. The dash is soft and I did not worry about denting or scratching anything. It appears to be a 3.5 speaker that would fit all of them. The screws that mount to the dash are approximately 4.5 inches apart.
Here are some pics...

Prying left grill
7178777380_1579cf51df_z.jpg

Removed grill clip location. I started at the left and popped the 5-6 clips off and it came out forward. To replace I pushed forward and pushed the front part down until it snapped.
7178776764_cd547889b5_z.jpg

Looking down through the windshield.
7178775864_aa8a0cc84b_z.jpg

A stubby screw driver didn't fit. This would be much easier with no windshield.
7178774920_f2da074305_z.jpg

7178774292_e2d74345c4_z.jpg

7178773634_a06ff68833_z.jpg

There was a little clip holding the wire up to the dash. It did not give me any more slack on the wire once I removed it. I would keep it attached so it doesn't drop.

All pre wired. The middle looked the same.
7178773308_d43a92af67_z.jpg

Colors appear to be a reddish-orange and green. Maybe a stripe on both???? I didn't want to get crazy with stripping anything out.
7178772336_e4fe55cb55_z.jpg

I am wondering if there are speakers that will just plug right in. Anyone know any; haven't done much research on stereos in a while. This will definitely be a quick, easy, cheap mod to add three speakers.

Ok, so I'm giving this a go. I ordered a some offset screwdrivers since I didnt have any and the only ones lowes had were in big sets which I didnt need more screw drivers I already had. Then I ordered a 2010 mazda3 wiring harness adapter because they look very similar so I am assuming (hoping) it is the same as the cx-5. Lastly I ordered a pair of polk db351 speakers. Hopefully it will all arrive by the weekend and I can do the install then.

Screw drivers: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Speaker harness adapter: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Polk DB351: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Great info guys.

Nizzy1115, do you have the 5.8" radio display model or the stock Matrix LCD radio with just CD player ?
Definitely interested in knowing if the stock radio is configured to actually be able to power the dash speakers!

keep us updated.

Great info guys.

Nizzy1115, do you have the 5.8" radio display model or the stock Matrix LCD radio with just CD player ?
Definitely interested in knowing if the stock radio is configured to actually be able to power the dash speakers!

keep us updated.

I have the 5.8" with bluetooth from factory. That + auto trans were my only 2 factory options.

If this goes good I'll probably opt to replace all the speakers in the car with polks.

Last edited:
Keep us updated nizzy. If the adapters don't work, I'll be the guinea pig for the next ones.

Sounds good. I was hoping everything would be here by the weekend but my speakers still haven't shipped out yet so it doesn't look promising. The speaker wires should be here either today or tomorrow so I could test those though.

Edit scratch the above. Speakers just shipped and are scheduled to be here tomorrow along with the speaker harness...too bad the dang screw drivers wont arrive till friday. non the less, by this weekend for sure we will know.

Last edited:
So good news and bad news.

All my eqipment came today. I removed the covers per the above instructions and screws with that offset screwdriver. I test fit the speakers and they did just barely fit. The bottom magnet is so big it contacts the wiring for the side curtain airbags and some flimsey plastic below but will fit once screwed down. As for the cover fitting on with the dome tweeter that sticks up above the speaker it just barely fit. Im unsure if speakers that are any taller than my polks would fit.

For the bad, the ebay seller sent me the wrong speaker wire adapter. The ones for all regular mazda 3s should work but i cant verify yet. I ran to best buy but they didnt have any. Ill have to reorder. Id splice and solder the existing wire but mazda did not give much wire at all to work with and its so tight in the dash, i think adapters are almost a must.

I was wondering about mounting depth when looking at customer reviews for various 3.5" speakers. I would also have to agree adapters are a must, my splicing skills are not that great and there is very little slack.
Ill have to avoid that seller, who was it? I have a love/hate relationship with eBay.

Seller was www-spiralinstallations-com

They look reputable so maybe it was just a mistake. I sent them a message lets see what they say. Maybe i should just order them from crutchfield. I didnt even think of that before ordering on ebay.

Ok im having a really hard time finding anything on the internet to buy these adapters. they surely look like the ones pictured on ebay but thats all im seeing. Crutchfield doesnt list any for the mazda3s.

I'm thinking I might just cut the wire and use butt crimps to make it happen. Soldering in that tight space isn't gonna happen for me but I think i could safely use crimps. I'll tackle this when I get home from work tonight.

Back