What's the best clutch/flywheel combo? Thoughts?

:
Mazda Protege 5 Turbo
I've been trying to research this for a bit.

I heard a lot about exedy, act, spec for clutches. As for flywheel i heard about fidanza (7.5lbs) and spec(6.8lbs).

Im unsure what are difference between the flywheel besides the weight difference. Mostly heard that many people are using Fidanza. I haven't heard much about the Spec flywheel.

I like to hear more about which clutch to get and i don't plan on getting anything more than a stage 2. I do drive the car daily, but i do plan to get a little more than 200whp. I don't want anything that's hard/rough on the pedal because of traffic.

Recommendation or reviews about your current setup?

Thanks ahead of time guys! I appreciate it.

Exedy stage one and the fidanza is what I use, along with another member SM76, we track our cars and the set up has worked well for us.

Read through this....great thread.

Best flywheel/clutch combo?

Ive personally tried the Exedy Stage1 / Fidanza combo on my old MSP and loved it, felt just like the factory setup. On NocturnalSpeed's MSP, we decided to try the ACT heavy duty SS Clutch 268 ft/lbs. / Fidanza Combo and it feels great as well.....but just a tad bit stiffer on the clutch, but not by much.

Last edited:
I'm rockin the stage 4 ACT HD 4 puck unsprung with fidanza flywheel. I love it, fast rev and on/off engagement, pedal is very heavy. Theres no riding this bad boy. Not recommended for light modded daily drivers haha.

Exedy stage1 and fidanza make sure you do the stainless line a the same time. Pedal will be lighter than the stocker with better holding power.

My Litte Contribution and based on my personal experience this is the best possible combo for today and future mods, 100 % Daily Driving Friendly and will basically hold what ever you can and will trow at it. No shattering or harsh engagements, It simply feels almost like stock but with all the ability to last for ever and never let you down !!!

+ Fidanza Flywheel
+ ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
+ ACT Street Performance Disk
+ Mazdaspeed Spec B RX-7 Throw out Release Bearing
+ Redline lightweight Shock Proof Synchromesh Synthetic Transmission Oil

Best Possible Combo !!!

If you want i can tell you the exact Clutch and Pressure Plate Kit Number so you can buy exactly what im telling you and then separate you can source the Flywheel and MS Spec b Release throw out bearing...

Last edited:
I'll throw in another vote for the fidanza + exedy stage 1 combo. Admittedly, I have not driven on anything other than the stock setup otherwise, so I can't discount the opinions of people who favor other combos, but I love everything about it so far.

Thanks guys for all the contribution. I just barely got the time to read all the posting. It seems like the Fidanza flywheel is the way to go. My plans are to get 225whp so i guess the Stage 1 exedy is out of the question.

My Litte Contribution and based on my personal experience this is the best possible combo for today and future mods, 100 % Daily Driving Friendly and will basically hold what ever you can and will trow at it. No shattering or harsh engagements, It simply feels almost like stock but with all the ability to last for ever and never let you down !!!

+ Fidanza Flywheel
+ ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate
+ ACT Street Performance Disk
+ Mazdaspeed Spec B RX-7 Throw out Release Bearing
+ Redline lightweight Shock Proof Synchromesh Synthetic Transmission Oil

Best Possible Combo !!!

If you want i can tell you the exact Clutch and Pressure Plate Kit Number so you can buy exactly what im telling you and then separate you can source the Flywheel and MS Spec b Release throw out bearing...

Sure, i would to love to have the information.

I ran the Exedy Stage1 on my yellow MSP @ 14psi with a decent amount of supporting mods......and the clutch held up just fine. Wouldn't hurt to take it up a notch though...

Last edited:
Yeah, I've read from many sources that Exedy's hp/torque rating on the stage 1 clutch is greatly understated.

I went through the same dilemma last year with my MSP. I found that the Exedy stage1 was only rated to 202ft/lb tq. for the about the same price
the Spec clutches hold a lot more. I went with a Spec stage2 and a Fidanza flywheel. stock pedal feel and great spooling time from the lightened FW.

I have the Exedy stage 2 clutch/ Fidanza flywheel...... I am in the Navy and wear my uniform to work everyday, driving with this clutch wearing boots sucks :(. Driving in my DC's and I love the combo, just my opinion.

Rob

Nah, just scoot the seat back a tad so that you get full range of motion with your leg! I don't know what boots you have in the Navy, but Army boots are not that bad.

I have Spec 2+ and love it, good pedal feel and great clamping.

High ankle boots, really stiff soles....... With my stage 2 I need some pedal feel. With the Clutch/ Flywheel combo my clutch engages very fast so I have no issues with my DC's since I can feel the pedal, Boots its a no go

Rob

I want to get stage 2 but i'm looking for low price and i cant seem to find a stage 2 flywheel? any suggestions? please list sites if possible.. need to purchase asap... burned my stock clutch out completely today.

Google search is your friend. Search the below parts using google and then hit the shopping tab.

Exedy Stage 2 clutch 10956
Fidanza Flywheel 161721

Spec clutches have multiple types for the protege platform as well. Just go to their website and google search the parts for prices as well.

I personally used an Exedy stage 1 clutch and Fidanza lightweight 7.5 lb flywheel, and enjoyed the combo.

Google search is your friend. Search the below parts using google and then hit the shopping tab.

Exedy Stage 2 clutch 10956
Fidanza Flywheel 161721

Spec clutches have multiple types for the protege platform as well. Just go to their website and google search the parts for prices as well.

I personally used an Exedy stage 1 clutch and Fidanza lightweight 7.5 lb flywheel, and enjoyed the combo.

Google search must not be my friend b/c i've tore up google lookin for this but now that i have some model numbers for the parts that should assist alot more... now i was looking at the spec clutches but i seen it only said protege... would it fit my protege5 altough its only giving one model?

Back