Does the 5 AT have an OD on top of the 5 speeds?

twintrbo

I was driving on the highway and stepped on the gas the other day when I felt it kick down. I slapped it over to manual and the indicator still said 5. This makes me wonder, is it a 5 speed tranny with an OD 6th, or is it a 4 speed with an OD 5th and I'm just nuts?

usually when they say 5 speed, 4th is your 1 to 1 ratio (or close to it) and 5th is the overdrive, not sure about ur "slap it into manual" thing, maybe simply by the time you did, it was already in 5th.

P.S.: checked the Mazda website, Touring is only offered with 5spd auto

Last edited:
overdrive means a ratio higher than 1:1 and with 4th at .93 and 5th at .69, they are both considered 'overdrive'. (just the ratios I found online, not sure they are accurate)

What you probably felt was the torque converter unlocking itself. This can cause the RPM's to raise a bit without a downshift. I wouldn't mind another gear, maybe between 2nd and 3rd, as there is a pretty big gap between those two RPM wise.

What you probably felt was the torque converter unlocking itself. This can cause the RPM's to raise a bit without a downshift. I wouldn't mind another gear, maybe between 2nd and 3rd, as there is a pretty big gap between those two RPM wise.

Yep. The torque converter will unlock going up interstate hills and seem like it has dropped down a gear. I have also noticed that when you kick it over into manual mode that it unlocks the torque converter. When it locks, the revs will drop 500-1000 rpms so it seems like an overdrive kicking in.

I have also noticed that when you kick it over into manual mode that it unlocks the torque converter.

Not true. On our way home from Texas last week, I was testing whether cruise control still worked when switched to manual (yes, it does). We had a strong sidewind that changed to headwinds at times, and I was noticing that the transmission was downshifting going over small hills. Cruising @ about 75mph, I switched it over to manual mode to hold 5th. When the cruise was trying to kick it down to 4th, the RPMs simply went up about 300 or so, indicating that the TC was unlocking. When it picked back up to set speed, it simply locked back up. RPMs didn't change when going between manual or automatic mode.

Not true. On our way home from Texas last week, I was testing whether cruise control still worked when switched to manual (yes, it does). We had a strong sidewind that changed to headwinds at times, and I was noticing that the transmission was downshifting going over small hills. Cruising @ about 75mph, I switched it over to manual mode to hold 5th. When the cruise was trying to kick it down to 4th, the RPMs simply went up about 300 or so, indicating that the TC was unlocking. When it picked back up to set speed, it simply locked back up. RPMs didn't change when going between manual or automatic mode.

On my car, it is true. Thanks. Mine will not lock in manual and unlocks every single time it is switched from auto to manual. I have paid very close attention to how my car operates and know this to be fact. Maybe mine is not working correctly. I don't care though since I wouldn't want it locking in manual anyway.

*EDIT* The manual says the following: "If you change to manual shift mode without depressing the accelerator pedal when driving in D range, 5th gear, the gear will shift to M4." So that explains why it switches over unlocked. However, I know, because I do it all the time, that if I am in M5 I can switch it to A5 and the torque converter locks and the revs drop. I do it all the time out of bad habit trying to maximize economy. I have never been able to get it to lock in M5. Maybe mine is not functioning correctly, but it's always done it since new. It used to drive me nuts.

Last edited:
...without depressing the accelerator pedal when driving in D range...

What the heck does this mean? To me that reads that as you are decelerating (foot off the accelerator), and shift to manual mode, it shifts to 4th if it were in 5th.

I was using cruise control (maybe that's key) when shifting to (M) mode. Flipping the shifter between (M) and (A), made no difference whatsoever with the TC lockup or respective RPMs. 5th gear held just fine, and the only time the TC unlocked was when the car acted like it wanted to shift to 4th like it was doing in (A) mode.

500-1000 RPMs is more substantial than any TC lockup I've ever seen, so I suspect yours was changing gears instead.

I'll be testing this on my way home this afternoon.

Last edited:
What the heck does this mean? To me that reads that as you are decelerating (foot off the accelerator), and shift to manual mode, it shifts to 4th if it were in 5th.

I was using cruise control (maybe that's key) when shifting to (M) mode. Flipping the shifter between (M) and (A), made no difference whatsoever with the TC lockup or respective RPMs. 5th gear held just fine, and the only time the TC unlocked was when the car acted like it wanted to shift to 4th like it was doing in (A) mode.

500-1000 RPMs is more substantial than any TC lockup I've ever seen, so I suspect yours was changing gears instead.

I'll be testing this on my way home this afternoon.

Yeah, maybe 300-500 rpms is more accurate. I didn't pay attention to the part about "decelerating" actually. Anyway, I drove it last night on the bypass around my city, which is pretty flat and with steady speeds, and I never could get the TC to lock in manual mode, unless it's locking only under deceleration and immediately locking with acceleration. My dad had a Buick back in about '85 that would unlock under deceleration and immediately lock as the gas pedal was pushed. It was hard to not notice as the locking was a very noticeable surge in that car. Actually, now that I think about it, my MX3 does it, too. Hmm...

I really don't know now what is going on since I don't get to drive it daily, but I can say that it would lock last night in M5. Maybe I have a tranny bug in the code or something, or maybe a bad sensor from the factory. Or, it could be normal. Oh well.

I don't know??
I shifted between M5 and A5 yesterday (holding steady @ 75mph) on my way home, and the TC never unlocked. When in M5 if I pressed the accelerator to the point that the Auto mode would want to downshift, it simply unlocked the TC. Lifted my foot a little to maintain speed, and it simply locked again.

Is it possible its different year to year? That would be a good reason for it to vary car to car. More importantly , does it lock up only in 5th or does it lock for other gears too? I know that Sienna I rented seemed to downshift automatically when put to manual mode. I didn't have enough time alone in the car to play with it to know for sure.

If it locks up in 5th only though, it would make the car a theoretical 6 speed tranny :) I guess I just dont drive highway often enough to notice this since I have had the car for about 9 months and 4000mi and have only just realized this. I'm used to the older style auto trans with the O/D button on the shifter.

It makes sense for the converter to not lock in M though, this would make it hard to shift around if it kept locking up on you. I will have to investigate this for myself next chance I get.

Is it possible its different year to year? That would be a good reason for it to vary car to car. More importantly , does it lock up only in 5th or does it lock for other gears too? I know that Sienna I rented seemed to downshift automatically when put to manual mode. I didn't have enough time alone in the car to play with it to know for sure.

If it locks up in 5th only though, it would make the car a theoretical 6 speed tranny :) I guess I just dont drive highway often enough to notice this since I have had the car for about 9 months and 4000mi and have only just realized this. I'm used to the older style auto trans with the O/D button on the shifter.

It makes sense for the converter to not lock in M though, this would make it hard to shift around if it kept locking up on you. I will have to investigate this for myself next chance I get.

My '09 GT only locks in A5. No other gear, regardless of shifting scheme. I wouldn't want mine to lock in M5 so I'm fine with that. I am in the '09 group that has the bad power steering so I guess I'm in the first half of the year. Maybe the tranny had a software upgrade at some point.

I'm the late 09, my build date was 6/09. I will have to check to be sure but I dont think it locks other than in 5th gear as well. I will need to check out the OD thing to be sure about M5 or A5. How would we know about an A4 lockup though, I dont see how you could get it to drive with a light enough load without it going to 5th first anyway.

FWIW I was really surprised to hit that Sienna for an upshift for laughs and see it go to 6! Thats what got me thinking about it in the first place. A recent loaded up road trip made me notice the converter locking. We had 4 adults, 2 kids, stroller, 20 lbs of apples, 3 little pumpkins, 1 HUGE ass pumpkin, assorted squash, assorted gourds, camera bag, diaper bag, 2 purses and everyone had near winter weight jackets. It was a bit tight to say the least. I was amazed it all fit, as 5 owners always are, but boy that Sienna was much better suited to this type of trip. Of course I do this once a year at most and I would hate to have the Sienna for the 4 of us all the rest of the time.

twintrbo, I've never noticed a locking TC on any gear other than the top on any car I've ever driven. Doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though.

Now that I think about it, I think mine was built in 11/08.

...that Sienna was much better suited to this type of trip. Of course I do this once a year at most and I would hate to have the Sienna for the 4 of us all the rest of the time.

That's what a roof mount cargo carrier is for! Now that I have one (was exactly what we needed for our trip to Texas), I can see it being used for things like you describe. Doubt we'll ever carry pumpkins though. ;)

The things we fit into our Skybox 16s - 2 large rolling suitecases, 1 cot, 1 portable crib, 1 cosmetic bag, 1 hug pillow, and 1 portable high chair. Things we couldn't fit - 1 compact stroller, some wind breaker jackets and another hug pillow. We averaged 26.5 mpg for the trip.

BTW, our's was built 11/07.

So now we're getting somewhere. Does anyone know if there was a PCM flash between '08 and '09 that affected the transmission? I could have sworn that I've read about that somewhere. It seems like a thread or two about our weak trannies and fluid changes said something about a flash that the dealer would do if you said your new 5AT was shifting hard or something. '08 was the first year and I remember somebody talking about an update that was already there in '09.

That's what a roof mount cargo carrier is for! Now that I have one (was exactly what we needed for our trip to Texas), I can see it being used for things like you describe. Doubt we'll ever carry pumpkins though. ;)

We averaged 26.5 mpg for the trip.

Amen to that! I got a used Yakima rack but I will be selling that before I ever actually use it, I thought it attached to the built in mounts. Once I saw the mounting points and my neighbors OEM rack, I would not have guessed there was a rack that didn't go on that way, live and learn :p I will get a nice silver INNO in the next few weeks.

The Sienna was doing about 22-23 MPG on the highway according to the on-board computer, it averaged 21 mpg on our 400mi trip in and around LA with a highway blast to Santa Barbara Zoo and back with 7 people. Pretty good considering its size and power. Everything we had in the car on our trip would have easily gone behind the 3rd row in the Sienna and then some. Leg room was a non issue too, I dont know how an extra 20 inches amounts to SO much more room inside the vehicle!

If they changed the programming to combat heat, then it makes no sense that they would remove the TC lockup when in manual mode as that does the exact opposite. TC unlock = friction = heat!

20" is almost 2 feet, that's alot of leg room. I would be oh so happy if they added 6-12" to the Mz5. I have Mz8 envy at times.

Last edited:
Ok, I did a little run yesterday and it locks up the converter in both m5 and a5. If i step on the gas it will unlock in either mode as well. FWIW I find it will go down a gear in manual mode if you stomp on it hard enough too. I guess I'm just surprised that its an actual 5 speed tranny with an OD. I never paid much attention to the auto tranny designations since I never cared for auto in the first place. I just assumed they included the OD into the gear count.

Yes, 20" is a lot but the space behind the 3rd row accounted for that and then some. I too would love another 8" behind the 3rd row but once it got too big it would then compete with (and lose to) larger real minivans. I think thats the reason we dont have an MPV anymore. I have seen the Mz8 on other sites and I would have definitely considered that if we had the option.

The main reason the Sienna had so much more legroom was that its a purpose built platform. Our 5 is based on the 3 so that means its a car layout where you sit behind the engine. In a Minivan, you sit up high and they tend to move the engine/tranny underneath and between front passengers because of the increased height and width. The Sienna is 10" wider!! If you can move the front seats 12" forward or more and add 20" out back, you are talking way more interior room. If you get a chance, swing by a dealer and check it out, you will be amazed at the interior room. BUT, I still wouldn't buy one :)

Back