To roof rack or not to roof rack

Scottb01

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
That is the question. My wife and I are torn. We just picked up our new GT and it does not have one. I think they look nicer with, what are everyones thoughts.

I vote with. I think they look better with the roof rack. However, I am still waiting to have mine put on by the dealership. We bought our CX-9 over a month ago, and they owed us a rook rack and a remote start. The remote start was on back order from Japan up until a week ago. By the time they get around to it, it will be summer.

I guess the better question is are you going to use it. If the answer is yes, then go for it. If you just want it for looks, well you know what my answer will be. We've got a CX-7 and it doesnt have one. I would love to purchase one, at least to put more cargo on top (ie skis/bikes/etc)

I have rails because I use them. I think the CX-9 looks a little sleeker without them though. The Lexus RX offers roof rails in chrome...I'm not usually a fan of more chrome but I think that look would be great on the CX-9.

If you're actually going to use it than get an aftermarket rack instead.

Nonsense! The factory rack and rails are more than sufficient for most applications unless you plan to carry a heavy boat like a 11ft Livingston or something in that weight range. Even most canoes would be fine with the factory setup. I have a Thule cargo carrier on mine (Ascent) and we've had that SOB stuffed to the gills without any issues of weight distribution or any noticeable flex during travel. My guess it was pushing the 100lb limit. In my opinion unless you plan to really pack the weight on; going factory stock will work fine and looks much more streamline that the big ol aftermarket ones. I think its a complete overkill unless like I said you plan to really pack on the cargo. Its just not really needed for most overhead cargo applications. Just my .02

Nonsense! The factory rack and rails are more than sufficient for most applications unless you plan to carry a heavy boat like a 11ft Livingston or something in that weight range. Even most canoes would be fine with the factory setup. I have a Thule cargo carrier on mine (Ascent) and we've had that SOB stuffed to the gills without any issues of weight distribution or any noticeable flex during travel. My guess it was pushing the 100lb limit. In my opinion unless you plan to really pack the weight on; going factory stock will work fine and looks much more streamline that the big ol aftermarket ones. I think its a complete overkill unless like I said you plan to really pack on the cargo. Its just not really needed for most overhead cargo applications. Just my .02

Its not nonsense at all. If the guy has no rack now why not put one on that is more versatile and can handle heavier loads? 100lb limit is pretty weak. If you're going to spend the money then get something that is better, I wish I had done this. I ended up taking the factory rack off. I realize some people here love the factory rack for whatever their reasons but IMO its the crappiest and flimsiest factory rack I have had on any of the SUV's I've owned. Feel free to disagree but I did not feel confident having a 60lb Kayak and a 30lb MTB up there. If the rack isn't going to be used regularly then get the factory one. If you're going to buy decent aftermarket cross bars anyway then why not just get the aftermarket rack and mount it directly to the fix points? Less height, more capacity, versatility blah blah blah.

I would sell my factory rack but a piece broke when I was taking it off. :-(

Anyway, for anyone who wants to see what the Thule fixed point set up looks like here it is with a bike mount.

rack-1.jpg

Last edited:
Forget about seeing your Thule fixed point set up...I'd like to know what piece broke off your old factory rack to see if I offer you some money for it.

I was bummed about the factory rack not being compatible with my Yakima set up. I think it looks better to attach the cross members from an aftermarket rack to the stock rails, but that's just my little opinion. Plus with the rails it's a lot easier to strap things like Christmas trees to the top of the vehicle...

Its not nonsense at all. If the guy has no rack now why not put one on that is more versatile and can handle heavier loads? 100lb limit is pretty weak. If you're going to spend the money then get something that is better, I wish I had done this. I ended up taking the factory rack off. I realize some people here love the factory rack for whatever their reasons but IMO its the crappiest and flimsiest factory rack I have had on any of the SUV's I've owned. Feel free to disagree but I did not feel confident having a 60lb Kayak and a 30lb MTB up there. If the rack isn't going to be used regularly then get the factory one. If you're going to buy decent aftermarket cross bars anyway then why not just get the aftermarket rack and mount it directly to the fix points? Less height, more capacity, versatility blah blah blah.

I would sell my factory rack but a piece broke when I was taking it off. :-(

Anyway, for anyone who wants to see what the Thule fixed point set up looks like here it is with a bike mount.

rack-1.jpg

(rant) My comment is legit plain and simple; however you are entitled to yours (right or wrong) as this is the good ol USA last time I checked (usa) . Both your 30lb MTB tank and the 60lb canoe would work just fine on the stock rack. I have had no issues on mine with canoes or kayaks so your comments really don't hold much water. If you wish to carry heavier loads like I said (meaning much more than 100lbs) then ya, get a rack "meant" carry heavier loads. I know I can haul all my camping gear in my Thule or put two bikes up there or a canoe without ANY issues. Besides, I think the aftermarket racks make the CX9 look like s***. It takes away from its smoooooooooth lines and sleekness. To be honest I had a hard time even putting factor racks on, but at least they look more stylish IMO.

Some, like myself, prefer the look at the factory rack and have no intention loading up heavy toys. s***, I have my F150 do carry my heavy toys, but that's just me. Like I said, for "many" applications the factory rack works fine. Mazda wouldn't have designed racks to carry bikes, canoes, etc if their was a chance for failure. That would spell lawsuit for them. So, from a standard use function wise I think your a little off in your comments, but thats just me. (eyeballs)

Perhaps you should sell your MTB.......my Cannondale with front Rockshox doesn't tip the scales anything close to 30lbs. (bike)

Last edited:
"Perhaps you should sell your MTB.......my Cannondale with front Rockshox doesn't tip the scales anything close to 30lbs. "

Ditto...Cannondale with Rockshox = 13lbs.

No wonder catman is worried about the capacity of the factory rack. He must use a crane to get that bike onto his roof.

It's a 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi Pro 29r. 28 lbs rounded up, calm down. No Cannondale mountain bike weighs 13 lbs my friend. The road bikes used in the Tour De France are @ 15+ lbs. Racing MTB hardtails are usually in the 20-22 lb range. If you're going to make sport of me at least know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
He probably broke the alignment pin off by pulling the cover off sideways, instead of forward.

Gotta love people who call something crap because they broke it doing something wrong. I think catman's real problem is owning overweight toys. A 30lb mtn bike? Yikes! Both of our bikes don't weight that much.

Having crossbars on the factory rails makes it a lot easier to take them off for car washes, etc. I can get mine off, leaving the rails, in about a minute.

Reiterating, I can confidently put 200lbs across my bars. (I put ALL my weight on EACH crossbar, and had no rail deflection)

Here are my overweight toys....(hand)

015.jpg

008.jpg

right.jpg

(rant) My comment is legit plain and simple; however you are entitled to yours (right or wrong) as this is the good ol USA last time I checked (usa) . Both your 30lb MTB tank and the 60lb canoe would work just fine on the stock rack. I have had no issues on mine with canoes or kayaks so your comments really don't hold much water. If you wish to carry heavier loads like I said (meaning much more than 100lbs) then ya, get a rack "meant" carry heavier loads. I know I can haul all my camping gear in my Thule or put two bikes up there or a canoe without ANY issues. Besides, I think the aftermarket racks make the CX9 look like s***. It takes away from its smoooooooooth lines and sleekness. To be honest I had a hard time even putting factor racks on, but at least they look more stylish IMO.

Some, like myself, prefer the look at the factory rack and have no intention loading up heavy toys. s***, I have my F150 do carry my heavy toys, but that's just me. Like I said, for "many" applications the factory rack works fine. Mazda wouldn't have designed racks to carry bikes, canoes, etc if their was a chance for failure. That would spell lawsuit for them. So, from a standard use function wise I think your a little off in your comments, but thats just me. (eyeballs)

Perhaps you should sell your MTB.......my Cannondale with front Rockshox doesn't tip the scales anything close to 30lbs. (bike)

Did you personally design the OEM rack? Not sure why your so passionate about it. If its fine for you then what is the issue? What is the problem with suggesting a stronger alternative on a f'ing forum. Jesus! Did I suggest you throw away your stylish factory rack. Seriously man, no need for the diatribe, I get it. There's plenty of people like myself that may be looking for alternatives, that's why I posted mine up. No need to convince me otherwise, I think the factory rack was lacking and I did not like it. It's not necessary to change my mind man!

Last edited:
Back