Mazda Protege5 Factory Subwoofer Wiring Question

:
2016 CX-5
I'm hooking up a new head unit, and am looking at the wiring harness behind the head unit and I can't find any of the wires from the subwoofer. Does anybody know how this is wired in? Is it wired into the rear speakers? What about the amp switch, etc.?

im pretty sure its just wired int the rear speakers. i did a new headunit and wondered the same thing. just wired it up using the harness crutchfield gave me and the sub still works.

helpp

i picked up a spare tire sub off a totaled o3 p5, and im wondering if im going to be able to hook it up to my Alpine HU. I don't think my P5 came with the deluxe audio package originally , but just in case, is there a way i can tell if it came prewired for the sub?

and If its not prewired, is it worth it to pay someone to hook up for me? ( im not electronically savvy) or is it very simple to do that maybe i could figure it out?

I was able to get all the wiring figured out. It didn't help that the owner before me had done such a poor installation of his aftermarket stereo, I had trouble identifying some of the lines because of all the electrical tape residue. Additionally, he abandoned the one line that he needed to make the factory sub work. (Perhaps on purpose)

Anyway, here is all the wiring info. With this, the factory sub is working (as well as it can for how little it is).

HU wiring harness:

battery 12v+: blue/red
acc 12v+: pink/black
ground: black
illumination: light green/black
dimmer: white/blue
amp trigger: yellow
left front speaker+: black/red (or black/brown)
left front speaker-: black/white
right front speaker+: red
right front speaker-: white
left rear speaker+: brown/white
left rear speaker-: brown
right rear speaker+: green
right rear speaker-: green/orange

Factory sub:

battery 12v+: yellow (wired to factory blue/red)
acc 12v+: red (wired to factory pink/black)
ground: black (wired to factory ground, vehicle ground)
amp trigger: blue/white (wired to factory yellow)
four remaining rear speakers lines: xxxx

Last edited:
reut1, is this the harness that plugs directly into the factory sub and ties into the read speakers?

whats the part number on crutchfield?

copperleaf, did you have the above harness already installed on your p5 or did you custom fab the harness yourself?

All the above was factory wiring. Basically (from what I've pieced together) the sub harness plugs in somewhere above the left rear wheelwell. Everything but the amp switch is already wired in (ground, bat, acc, rear src). The amp switch line, which is blue/white in the sub harness, is yellow in the factory harness.

Of course I bought my P5 used, so it's possible that the previous owner(s) did something custom, but based on the quality (or lack there of) the aftermarket hu install, I don't think so.

I don't know what wiring is in a P5 that didn't come with the factory sub.

BTW, the factory sub, while not earth shattering, isn't too bad for this old man. :)

n e one have pics of this spare tire sub? I am originally from Canada and havent seen one. I dont think they were an option on our cars.

i was told by the man i bought it from that it had a special harness that attached to the left rear speakers, and plugs in directly to the sub with a 12 prong plugy thing ( please excuse my lingo, i am TOTALLY cluless about wiring)

my car is "pre wired" for an aftermarket sub, i have two big wires comming off the rear speakers. a blue one and a silver one. i am inclined to believe that they aren't live tho, i vaugly remember my mechanic saying that he unhooked the live wires in the back of my car ( before i knew about the subwoofer)

how do i axcess the pannel?

I would go aftermarket with a sub setup. I have a small 8" Kicker pushed by 100 watt Kicker amp and it hits perfect for my car, just enough to rattle the back but not loud enough that I can hear the rattles in the front, and there is just no way a factory setup can do anywhere near what a decent aftermarket sub can.

I would go aftermarket with a sub setup. I have a small 8" Kicker pushed by 100 watt Kicker amp and it hits perfect for my car, just enough to rattle the back but not loud enough that I can hear the rattles in the front, and there is just no way a factory setup can do anywhere near what a decent aftermarket sub can.

ok but thats not what i asked. I already HAVE a stock sub, and would like to know if there is anyway i can use it. I dont NEED big bass, otherwise i would have bought a bigger sub. (boom02)

im pretty sure its just wired int the rear speakers. i did a new headunit and wondered the same thing. just wired it up using the harness crutchfield gave me and the sub still works.

yes it is.

no cutting and splicing required.

if you purchased a stock sub from somebody... how much stuff did they give you?

here you can see where the wiring clips in to the stock location. drivers side, just in front of the rear wheel well. this pic is facing the rear passenger seat.
check for a couple of those plastic pop out clips, and then you should be able to pull up on the pannel. the wire on top, is the wiring that goes to the sub. i already undid the clip in this pic. im assuming the wiring on the bottom will be there regardless of weather your car had the sub from the factory or not. that is where your sub wiring should clip into.

IMG_2057-1.jpg

in the pic below, you see the continuation of the wiring for the stock sub. the black wires that are taped to the floor, they plug right into the stock sub. (never mind the red wires, they were my old crappy sub power wires. they are not stock)

IMG_2050-1.jpg

hope this helps some.

thanks, that was just what i needed actually.

soooo weird thing is i have holes in the frame where it appears the factory sub wires are connected in your pictures, but i have no actual wire. im assuming the origional owner took it out when installing the aftermarket setup. dangit.

i actually did look back there while exploring the trail of the current blue and silver lines that are in the hatch for the aftermarket sub, but when i removed the two pins i couldn't pull it that far out to really get a good look. from what i could see tho i dont have that connector either.

He gave me JUST the sub only. no wires. what do i need to purchase from crutchfield to make this work?

um... if he didnt give you the stock wires, i dont know what else you can do. crutchfield is not going to have that for you. they would have an adapter for a new head unit to just plug right into your stock plug. looks like you are kinda SOL on your sub though.

If the car didn't have the sub factory it won't have the wiring for it either, the sub wasn't an option until the 03.5 models I believe and only on American P5s.

if he doesnt have the connection for it by the drivers-rear wheel well, then i dont think the wiring harness would help too much.

pmed,

also, wouldn't i be able to rig the sub up to the aftermarket stuff i already have if i have the connectors that plug directly into the stock sub?

i got the courage to rip apart my interior some more and took a pic of the rear wheel well behind the driver.
i suspect the connector i circled in red and white is the one that gives power to the taillights and rear light in my hatch. i also circled my currently disconnected sub lines, which appears to run under the moulding up to the front of the car. i was unable to lift the trim any farther to investigate.

Attachments

• sub wires 002.JPG
    sub wires 002.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 532
Back