What you like the most and dislike the most in p5???

nypro5

:
03 P5
I really like the style, unique type of shape and give you a lot of rooms for mod!!
i can't bear the noise... especially when it hits the highway!!!

Pros
  • The handling is great right from the line and only gets better with mods
  • There is a certain prowess knowing that there aren't too many "ricer" proteges. To modify a protege, you have to seriously mod a protege
  • Reliable (so far)

Cons
  • There is a lack of power and torque from the engine especially with an N/A application
  • The engine does not respond as well to simple modifications as do other engines
  • The fuel efficiency is not as good as other vehicles near the protege's size
  • You never know when you'll find a VTCS screw or butterfly in your engine

Pros
  • The handling is great right from the line and only gets better with mods
  • There is a certain prowess knowing that there aren't too many "ricer" proteges. To modify a protege, you have to seriously mod a protege
  • Reliable (so far)

Cons
  • There is a lack of power and torque from the engine especially with an N/A application
  • The engine does not respond as well to simple modifications as do other engines
  • The fuel efficiency is not as good as other vehicles near the protege's size
  • You never know when you'll find a VTCS screw or butterfly in your engine

get rid of that pre-cat and it will open her up a bit.

Won't that be a straight ticket to not pass inspection?

oh yeah I forgot about the inspection.. none here in Fl. However if you know some people you can get away with it(trust me I have in Amarillo)! You could punch it out and run a non-fouler so it looks as close to stock as possible.

The engine is the only downside to this car IMO. The FS-DE is such a heap of s*** its not even funny. lol

At least it can do 30mpg on the highway.

Pro: Haul 5 people, put some 2x4's on top. Cheap to maintain/mod. Handling of course.

Con: Paint quality poor. Fading and rust so early. Rusted oil pan too??
Fatiguing at highway speeds due to noise, twitchy feel , Needs a 6th gear (or lower 5th)

Won't that be a straight ticket to not pass inspection?

here in pa we have inspection and i have no pre cat and a high flow midpipe to boot. just have to go to a place where they will work with you if you if u catch my drift...

o yea and to stay on topic:

Pros:
Handling
Looks
Rarity in the tuner world
Reliability
MPG (30mpg for me!)

Cons:
Only one compliant....RUST!!!!

Cons:
I can't stand the stock motor mounts.
Milage is somewhat annoying. My turbo stang made more than twice the HP and got the same milage.
Pricey parts. My BMW is cheaper to maintain.

Pros:
As for the motor, VTCS removal and a header wakes it up. And I don't know many heaps of s*** engines that can take the abuse I dish out for 220,000 miles and are still going strong.

Can go 200+K without much maintenance, but once you hit that get ready to pay some $$$$

Can haul just about anything I've needed to. Hot water heaters, transmissions, firewood, big screen TV's, bikes, pocketbikes...

Handling is great

Very very reliable

Fun to drive

Most of the above...
Pro: Looks, handling, reliability. Removable rack (so my roof doesn't look 'cluttered' when not hauling the kayayks ;) ) Plenty of room to haul stuff.

Con: Needs 6th gear. It makes me jealous of other makes' owners who spend little $ and get big hp gains. Mushy motor mounts or engine vibes...

BUt i still love her (after 200K miles)....

ZoomZoom

good bang for the buck
great styling and handling
durability (only issue i ever had was the egr) 140K miles
only downside for me is RUST! :(

Cons: Underpowered
Hard to find parts (aftermarket)
Sometimes no aftermarket parts (projectors)
crappy stock sound system

Pros: Easy to mod
Fun drive
An upgraded sound system is awesome inside it
Cheap
I have one.

rattles, thats probably the worst part for me. The other day i couldnt hear my exhaust(header/muffler) on a really cold start because the rattle were so noisy.

rust is another one.

Pro's:

Handling
Steering feel (outstanding for any car)
Headlights (outstanding)
Brakes (good for econobox)
Shifter/tranny
Looks
Interior (very nice for the segment, ergonomics are good, comfortable)
Gas milage (8mpg improvement overall over my N/A IMpreza)
Easy to do regular maintenance on myself

Con's:

Motor mounts (OEM suck, aftermarket suck)
Rattles induced by motor mounts (it would be one of the more rattle free cars without the MM issue)
Paint (bird poop kills it)
Wish it had 40 more ponies.

40hp??? how about another 100!! probably one of the better handling cars ive ever driven, for sure handles better than my miata. My p5 has the Eibach sportline springs on it... love the stance. MM sucks... actually one of mine was really broken bad, took it apart and JB welded it.... worked good!!

Back