08 CX9 is the worst automobile I have owned

Wow, this thread went nowhere fast.

While I respect the man's gripes, I feel like there's more to this story than we're hearing. If the regional manager denied your request, why didn't you challenge it with Mazda a step higher? Seems like a legit complaint and something that needs to be addressed.

Second, coming onto an enthusiast board and whining and taking it seems like the wrong thing to do. Instead, be open to some suggestions and respect everyone on here. Your rant for a first post wasn't a smart move.

Sounds like, as with any model, the first year is prone to problems. If possible avoid them like the plague. You've got a warranty for a reason, and if they fail to honor it repeatedly, there are things called 'lemon laws' for a reason.

My suggestion to OP is
If you want a reliable and boring CUV, buy the Highlander. It gives you better MPG also.
If you want more utilities, buy the Pilot. It it as reliable as Highlander.
If you enjoy handling (and if you can afford it), buy a BMW X5 or Acura MDX.
The CX9 is simply the best mix of all aspects mentioned above at an affordable price.

IMHO, the problems the OP mentioned are relatively minor issues.
A good dealer would have taken care of those easily. 1st-year model comes with such
small issues (running changes as they like to call those).

My old '98 BMW 540iA got me stranded twice (actually three times, if you count limpping home in safe mode as one also). Now those ticked me off with the $55K I spent on it, not to mentioned other 20 issues I counted before I gave up counting.... Worst vehicle I ever owned, reliability-wise.

Second, coming onto an enthusiast board and whining and taking it seems like the wrong thing to do. Instead, be open to some suggestions and respect everyone on here. Your rant for a first post wasn't a smart move.

So we're not supposed to rant because this is an "enthusiast" board and everyone's too sensitive to accept criticism of the car? Gimme a break. Let's look at the OP's complaints:

2008 CX9 Grand Touring, 14 months old, 24k miles.

OK, his mileage is fairly average for an American driver.

Brakes squeak horribly when backing up

KNOWN ISSUE. This is NOT something new and is a valid complaint. We've had the same issue on our 2007 and all the brake TSBs that were covered by our warranty (since Mazda USA SUCKS at fixing known problems after a year) didn't fix it.

long story short CSR at Mazda said no problem, will fix it, regional manager turned down request (had 13k miles you should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them the denial story bad PR move Mazda)

Sounds like he got a lemon of a dealership too. So on top of an unreliable SUV, he's getting the run-around by Mazda too. Another VALID complaint.

The steering wheel locks up have been told several times to wiggle it it eventually works, however, I would not like to depend upon this car in any type of emergency.

Another known issue and another valid complaint. And a safety issue.

The remote controls are a joke have to point it from the front of the car to have limited success.

Sounds a bit whiny there.

The gas mileage is pathetic I know why Mazda did not put a mpg reader in this POS.

We haven't had a problem with mileage, but if you want good mileage, don't get an AWD SUV that weighs 4400 pounds.

Rides ok on a smooth road, although it rides, and sounds, horrible on a rough road.

I agree with this statement, but that's only because the CX-9 is not made for off-roading. It is a SPORT utility vehicle, designed for ROADS.

My wife and I discussed this car last night she stated that she hates it so I will be looking for a new car soon, and not looking forward to taking a financial hit.

My wife says the same thing. She LOVES her CX-9, but HATES the fact that we cannot rely on it to remain trouble-free for more than a month or so. So I sympathize with the OP.

Sounds like, as with any model, the first year is prone to problems. If possible avoid them like the plague. You've got a warranty for a reason, and if they fail to honor it repeatedly, there are things called 'lemon laws' for a reason.

Except the 2008 is not a first model year. 2007 was. And lemon laws are VERY specific in most states and almost impossible to take advantage of.

So we're not supposed to rant because this is an "enthusiast" board and everyone's too sensitive to accept criticism of the car? Gimme a break. Let's look at the OP's complaints:

I merely said that ranting to an enthusiast site isn't the brightest thing to do. Most of it has to do with tone. Your first post being an all out b**** fest isn't going to sit well with most people, and it was just friendly advice. Personally, sharing experiences (both good and bad) about your car is the reason we have these forums.

Except the 2008 is not a first model year. 2007 was. And lemon laws are VERY specific in most states and almost impossible to take advantage of.

I was unsure of the first model year, but the point I'm trying ot make here is quite simply know what you're able to do with the car and the legal options you may have. Ranting on here won't fix the car. Sell it or go and fight to get it fixed. If you've come here to look for sympathy, you've come to the wrong place.

I have to think that Lover just bought the wrong car for what he really wants.The CX-9 is marketed as a performance SUV not an economical family hauler. If your not an enthusiast, DO NOT BUY THIS SUV!

1. Any car with 20" wheels will be a harsh ride.
2. I have to agree with Lover, Mazda as a collective whole is by far the worst car company when it comes to dealing with customer complaints and issues. If you are used to Toyota or Honda levels of service, Mazda will likely be a culture shock. Where other brands have a few bad dealer service departments here and there, Mazda only has a few good ones.
3. If you get more then 20 mpg in a full size, 3 row SUV with massive 20" rims and a big V6 motor....consider yourself lucky or go back to school for basic multiplication and division as you are NOT getting what you are calculating. The pilot or highlander V6 engines only get a little better MPG. May I suggest a sedan, minivan, or Rav4?
4.The bad remote I can not comment on, I never used it. If range is the problem, try holding it under your chin...believe it or not, you can add some serious range doing this on most remotes.

There is no free lunch in this world. To get one thing, you have to give up something else. Want big ass shiny wheels, you are going to loose comfort and MPG. Want better MPG you are going to loose heavy accessories, sound deadening, or power.

If everyone could just cut each other some slack now and again when it comes to both complaints with a vehicle or with their affection for one we would have a much nicer community here.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Lover, Mazda as a collective whole is by far the worst car company when it comes to dealing with customer complaints and issues. If you are used to Toyota or Honda levels of service, Mazda will likely be a culture shock. Where other brands have a few bad dealer service departments here and there, Mazda only has a few good ones.

Ain't that the ****i** truth. I'm just starting to step up my efforts in dealing with North American Mazda after going through two dealers to no avail. I may not get satisfaction, but at least I'll know I did everything possible up to and including legal action.

The next time I sign on the dotted line, the name Mazda will be nowhere on the contract. Screw me once Mazda, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

I am SO lucky to have a great dealer service department. Without them, I wonder if any of this stuff would ever have been fixed at all. Mazda's GOT to get better about several things, IMHO.

1. They have to improve customer service and start being proactive on service issues. Their cars aren't perfect -- time to admit that and move on.

2. Warranty. 3 years/36K miles is WAY below the current industry standard and a COMPLETE vote of NO-CONFIDENCE in their cars by Mazda NA. Should be 5 year 50K miles with a 100K mile powertrain warranty.

3. They need to break the 300HP barrier. Either with the next MS6 or the MS3. Or the RX-8. Something. But that's a separate issue. :)

That said, I just washed the 9, got it all pretty for the wife (who's out driving the Grand Cherokee right now), and when I pulled it back into the garage and turned off the key, guess what happened? Yep. A/C fan came on. As soon as i re-started the engine, it turned off and did not come back on the second time I shut down.

Last edited:
My CX-9 hasn't been the greatest when it comes to reliability, but I really do enjoy it. On the plus side, it's leased, so I will hand the keys back to Mazda in Nov 2010.

If I can just get the Bridgestone tires to last that long.....
goodluck-goodluck-luck-clover-smiley-emoticon-000671-large.gif

Decided to sell my 2008 grand touring AWD with new Mich tires and only 14000 miles.

Looking at the Acura TL Sh AWD. Yes going back to a sedan because my wife has a very reliable Honda Pilot.

Yes gas mileage sucks around town, but it's still a gook looking SUV.

To all who love the "9", good luck, I did for a while.

Time to move on.

Regards

I love my CX9 after 1yr 8mons and 19K miles. Still feels rock solid (always garaged, though).
1 minor assembly issue, and 3 TSBs corrected at oil changes.

Last edited:
2. I have to agree with Lover, Mazda as a collective whole is by far the worst car company when it comes to dealing with customer complaints and issues. If you are used to Toyota or Honda levels of service, Mazda will likely be a culture shock. Where other brands have a few bad dealer service departments here and there, Mazda only has a few good ones.

No offense but you are living in a cave if you think Mazda is the worst.

Chrysler exceeds anyone's dreams of being the worst.

This is the worst automobile I have ever owned (I have bought my wife 9 new cars). 2008 CX9 Grand Touring, 14 months old, 24k miles. Brakes squeak horribly when backing up long story short CSR at Mazda said no problem, will fix it, regional manager turned down request (had 13k miles you should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them the denial story bad PR move Mazda)

Do you drive in R all the way through? You back up maybe 10-20 feet in about what, 5-10 seconds? You might have dirty pads, try cleaning them, then re-bed.

The steering wheel locks up have been told several times to wiggle it it eventually works, however, I would not like to depend upon this car in any type of emergency.

You are maybe one of those who park with wheels turned all the way L or R. Try parking with your front wheels straight and give a bit more space between you and the next car.

The remote controls are a joke have to point it from the front of the car to have limited success.

This happened to ours after 1 year of ownership, seems the remote is power hungry. Get new batteries...CR2025

The gas mileage is pathetic I know why Mazda did not put a mpg reader in this POS.

Looks like someone did not do their homework nor read the Monroney label http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/MonroneySticker.htm
Get a hybrid.

Rides ok on a smooth road, although it rides, and sounds, horrible on a rough road.

Get a hybrid Caddy.

My wife and I discussed this car last night she stated that she hates it so I will be looking for a new car soon, and not looking forward to taking a financial hit.

Make sure you research before buying.

This is the worst automobile I have ever owned (I have bought my wife 9 new cars). 2008 CX9 Grand Touring, 14 months old, 24k miles. Brakes squeak horribly when backing up long story short CSR at Mazda said no problem, will fix it, regional manager turned down request (had 13k miles you should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them the denial story bad PR move Mazda)

The interior (although the silver plastic under the front doors handles scratch easily) is decent, and the appearance is good.

Too bad for you. I like my 2008 GT quite a lot and have none of the problems you mentioned. I own 5 Mazdas and they're all built with "Zoom Zoom" included rather than a plush ride and high fuel mileage. Do your research before spending your money.... It does seem odd that your one (and only one) post has generated so much crap posting from the crowd here. Oh well....

Sounds like a case of bad luck or maybe I just got lucky. Other than oil and cabin filter changes, I haven't had any issues with my 9 after 24,000 miles of "spirited" driving. I prefer to drive German cars, however, my previous Audi and BMW left me standed far too many times so I decided to go with the zoom zoom which has worked out well. Try the Audi CUV, your wife will no doubt love the style and dealership pampering.

After 15 months and 22K miles in my AWD GT and none of the problems this guy complains about. One minor gasket leak in transaxial, a broken gas cap teather and a few TSBs (silver paint pieces) is all I can complain about (knock on fake wood on the console). All fixed quickly, happily and without question by my local Mazda service department (Sentry West Mazda).

Just drove from Central MA down the length of Cape Cod this weekend and averaged about 20MPG. If you've ever driven the cape, you know how bad the traffic is during inflow, outflow and everywhere inbetween during the weekends.

It's not the quietest ride or the most luxurious ride or have the fastest pickup (except with manual) or best navigation system but it's held out good for me so far. As a backup, I invested in the extended warranty for bumper to bumper protection so there are no surprises later.

Even went so far as to let the wife buy a CX-7 last month based on this cars history.

Compared to the POS Grand Cherokee I owned prior to the CX9 this thing is golden. No question, my wife is a lot happier with it. Yes, the CX9 has some short comings but it's by no means the worst thing out there.

1 year 1 month and 20K miles on the 08 CX-9 AWD. I'm getting exactly the MPG I thought I would when I researched it. 18 MPG combined. Got 22 MPG on long trip on I95.

Only issue is warped brake rotors which seem to happen on more cars than not these days. I've had the throttle issue once but it hasn't returned.

Other than that, rock solid. Everything is as expected. I find if you research and read review articles about the vehicle you're interested in then there aren't many surprises.

Back