245/40 with 18x8 +50: will i rub?

aaronc7

Banned
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Ok getting some rx8 wheels set up. They are 18x8 +50 offset. I am on Cobb springs. Debating between 235/40 and 245/40 tires. Only reason I am really considering the larger 245 size is because they are basically the same price in this larger size...and I figured why not? But I don't want to rub and have to roll the fenders. It's kind of hard to search and get a definite answer on this... as I'm sure a few guys may post they are good with 18x8.5 +40 setup....then later that month they go over a bump with 2 guys in the back and rub. Also, there's tons of different suspension setups. Luckily the cobb springs are not very low in the back.

Anyways, anyone help me out with this?

i think youll rub on the inside with either setup sitting on cobb springs. +50 with anything bigger than 225/40 is iffy IMO

I think I will be OK with 235/40.

I am on 235/40/18 with 18x7.5 +45 setup now.... and with these new wheels because of the better offset the outside iwll only be sticking out more by 1mm.

I was hoping the good +50 offset might let me run wide tires

thanks though. anyone else??

Last edited:
Had the same setup 245/40/18 on RX8 wheels and yes I did rub on very large bumps. I just had my fenders rolled professionally and no more rubbing.

I have 225/45s on RX-8s. The rear tires touch the front of the fenders on bumps. I suspect yours will be worse.

Well, I'm running 235/40R18 Kumho XS tires on RX-8 wheels and have yet to rub (though I haven't had the rear heavily loaded with this setup either). <--- Stock suspension.

i only had to roll my rear fenders with 245/40's on mazdaspeed lowering springs.

you will also rub on the inner fender liner in the back. you have to be careful because once it wears away there is a piece of metal behind it you do not want to rub on.

what happened with this? Im debating 235/40 or 245/40 Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs on my RX8s. Im on BCs so ride height is playable.

ending up getting 235/40 RE-01Rs...cuz they were a lot cheaper than 245. This tire seems to run narrow (235 doesnt look that wide on them). 245 is what I should have went with...might have had to roll in the back though. My buddy has same wheels as me... and his 235/40 kumho SPTs look wider than mine. If anyone gets 245 they should be prepared to rub in the back just incase.

me? no its fine iwth cobb springs. but cobb springs really hardly lower the car at all in the rear. I will be getting bc coils soon

Ya, I'm 245/40/18 Direzza Star Specs on 18x8 +45 and I had to work on my fenders quite a bit to work out the rubbing... doesnt rub anymore. If I have 3-4 people in the car and hit a bump/dip, it will sometimes rub.

Yup, I'm rubbin.

rubbin.jpg

ouch! goes to show you how much tires vary. even within the same company. im running 245 dunlops too and nothing like what you have.

i think being lowered actually helps a little by tucking the top of the tire in slightly.

Back