Mazda5 Interior / Cargo Flexibility Photos

I've been trying to figure out why Mazda Canada listed such low cargo capacity numbers (857/426/112L [30.5/15/4 cu ft] behind the 1st/2nd/3rd rows) while Mazda USA lists about 1247L (44 cu ft) with all seats folded down, I think it has to do with the fact that Mazda does not recommend that the height of the cargo be higher than the height of the seats and for some reason they decided to put themselves in a competitive disadvantage in Canada to cover their butts.

2010 Toyota Matrix according to toyota.ca is 1398/561L (49.5/20 cu ft)
2010 Mazda 3 Sport according to mazda.ca is 481L (17 cu ft)

Yea I don't think the 3 has more total capacity behind its back seats than the 5 does behind the 2nd row seats! The Mazda 5 has to be closer to say 744L (26.5 cu ft) behind the second row according to what I've calculated (didn't see any numbers on Mazda USA's website).

I'm going to go to the Mazda dealer today with my hockey gear, sample cloth bags of groceries, etc. to see how it fares... though my wife may beg me to get a roof rack and find some way to carry my hockey gear up there. (second)

two bikes and lots of gear packed for a weekend get away. One touring bike, one racing bike. Lots of room to spare.

I found leaving one second row seat up and leaning the bikes on it makes for much better use of space rather than laying one bike down flat, then laying another over it.

3465780654_184b0f66c0_o.jpg

3465780852_31e9f7bdbd_o.jpg

I found I have a bicycle that fits standing up in my 5. My 1938 Road Master rat rod. Took it out for a pub cruise in Hartford, CT this past Saturday:

2937880251_51c1e48986_o.jpg

tight squeeze. It was wedged in against the head liner.

That. Is. .AWESOME!!!!!

The bike, I mean. That thing rulz. (wow)

I found leaving one second row seat up and leaning the bikes on it makes for much better use of space rather than laying one bike down flat, then laying another over it.

cool stuff, clever idea

Last edited:
thanks FYF for the nice approval of the rat bike. It is a fun bike to ride. And thank you coolmazda5.

adult size trike (24" wheels), no problem after removing handlebars:

3506871867_1600ef3da6_b.jpg

and still room for one of my rat bikes ('41 Schwinn DX) next to it:

3506875275_cbf0e32c74_b.jpg

If only I had my camera... two hockey bags fit lengthwise, two big boxes of team jerseys, four hockey sticks, and then myself, my wife, and my teammate all travelling in complete comfort. :) I can easily carpool three of my teammates and four hockey bags and eight hockey sticks in there.

^^ That happens when your wife knows you are bragging about the car's flexibility. "Could we take the 2 cars on the next trip?" :rolleyes:

One car has the 2nd and 3rd rows flat, the other one with just the 3rd one, so the little ones could join us for the ride

(Oh, and phone pics BTW :()

Last edited:
wow, Ikea loves you! that's a great picture.

I bought a kayak last night. No rack needed - woot!

3610802033_1601708423_o.jpg

(chuckle) bet you needed a few more tools than they recommended also.

so far so good. went right to a lake with it and paddled for over an hour. had a great time. looking forward to exploring other lakes. needed something else to do other than cycling.

5 with landscape ties

I used my 5 to bring home three 8' landscape ties. As far as length goes, they did fit, but didn't leave a lot of room for putting the trans in gear.

What kept me from adding another 2 or 3 ties was that the armrests got in the way. As it was, I had to protect the armrests from the wood and hope the weight wasn't too much.

So it wasn't perfect, but I still managed without borrowing a mini-van.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCP-DjoK6zeSgjAE&feat=directlink

If I didn't have a toddler seated on the right side, I could have folded the seats and had any easier time transporting the ties.

Last edited:
^^ ya you could'a got lots more in there. But good going with what you had to deal with.

Back