moaning rear brakes when backing up?

5phreak

:
2007 5 Touring Whitewater Pearl
anyone's 5 brakes make a loud moaning noise when backing up in the morning? Man, I pull out of the garage and apply the brakes and it's embarassing.

Seriously, could this car make any more noises? I now have a creaking windshield, groaning sway bar bushings and moaning brakes.

mine started recently and my wifes odyssey does it all the time especially when it is damp. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

i was thinking it was worse when it was damp. This morning it was very humid.

don't get me wrong, i'm not worried that something is wrong mechanically, it just makes me not like the car. 25k and it sounds like it has 150k. i'm losing the warm fuzzies i had for the car quick.

might trade it in for an HHR Panel Van. I really like the look. Need to find out if it's a two seater or not. I can live with a two seater I think.

I get this on my 3 as well. I can't say for sure that the brake pads are at fault, but the business parts of the rotors do tend to rust PDQ.

talked with some guys here at work and some of them said their cars and trucks do it too.

This is only the second car I've had with rear discs - and the first one that moans like this. And ya, the rotors rust up a heck of a lot overnight.

There was a TSB out there for this problem. The essence of the TSB was that if the customer or the car squeaks loud enough, the dealer will replace the brake pads.

If you were driving in the rain/snow or any moisture the rotors rust and make a lot of noise when first starting out until they are rubbed clean. Both my Mazdas do that quite commonly.

a little squealing in the morning is normal. because of the rust it accumulate overnight, this is heard backward or forward but only for a while. when you've used your brakes already and scraped the rust off, its gone. Also remember that when going backwards the different rotation direction will tend to position the pads to be not flat with the grooves of the rotor. For severe squealing, consult your mechanic. This needs the caliper sliders to be lubed. Mazda did this with mine.

anyone's 5 brakes make a loud moaning noise when backing up in the morning? Man, I pull out of the garage and apply the brakes and it's embarassing...

Yep - mine too. On a morning after it has rained/snowed/very humid etc (or your drove in mosture the previous day) - take a close looks at the rotors and you'll actually see the rust. But if you look at someone else's rotors on a different make/model you'll usually see the same. The good news is it comes up almost instantly and you won't hear the noise the rest of the day or until it's moist out again and the car sits for awhile.

If your rear rotors have excessive lateral runout, it could make the problem worse. Do you notice and vibration in the rear of the vehicle when braking at high speeds? Another possible cause, especially if you drive on salt covered roads is the self adjusting sliders on the rear brake calipers. If they lack lubrication they may hang a little and cause chatter on the rear brakes. Neither of these are big issues, but if you've run out of other cool stuff to do, pop the rear wheels off and take a peek at the self adjusting mechanisms on the rear and add some never Seize to them.

the brake shoe usually has a 'toe-in' designed to 'not produce friction sound' when braking while car is moving forward. Meaning one tip of the shoe touches the disk first and as pressure is applied the shoe gently grabs the disk. and rotation of the disk is 'forward' so there is no noise.

When in reverse, the rotation would be different and the shoe can vibrate as the disk grabs the shoe in the opposite direction.

This is just a theory.. that I observe with the brake adjustment in my racing bicycle.. The brake shoe has to be adjusted with a toe in. failure to do so will produce the same 'brake squeal' that I hear from the mazda5.

Yup, it is normal as most owners have complained about it even on their 2006-07 models. There were earlier forum topics on the same issue. I complained 2-3 times to dealer when bringing my 5 in for regular servicing. They replaced the calipers. It got rid of the noise almost completely. There is a small amount of squeeling still but not the loud, embarassing type where the whole neighborhood can hear when you are backing your car up on a cold day.

Has anyone tried putting a champfer on the rear trailing edge of the pads to combat this?

anyone's 5 brakes make a loud moaning noise when backing up in the morning? Man, I pull out of the garage and apply the brakes and it's embarassing.

Seriously, could this car make any more noises? I now have a creaking windshield, groaning sway bar bushings and moaning brakes.

Mine was doing it all the time, but I realize it hasn't been lately. It was quite loud when it was happening.

The only time something similiar would happen to the other car, was when I had washed it and put it on the garage overnight. There would be rust on the rotors which would be noisy for a few blocks.

I'm quite satisfied with the lack of noises with my 5. At -30, cars can sound horrible, but the 5 has been quite good and it's first 6 months of life was as a rental and with 15,000 miles.

I did have a rattling sliding door that was out of alignment - when they fixed it, the rattle went away.

Mine is so loud. I was backing out of my buddies driveway after a car wash, and we were seriously laughing in TEARS at how funny it was. Nothing to worry about :)

Latest posts

Back