Mazdaspeed 3 traction

Jdizzle659

:
Mazdaspeed 3
What upgrades would you recommend besides tires and mounts for getting better traction in 1st and 2nd gear?

burnouts before you race, to leave a fresh layer of sticky rubber. chewing lots of gum and sticking them on your tires. coarse grit sandpaper on your tires.

seriously, the only way you're gonna get better traction in 1st and 2nd (assuming you are just talking about launches/racing) is if you get wider rubber, or just keep your foot off the ground

Suspension maybe? Certain suspension configurations can help or hinder your traction.

Traction has a lot to do with the driver but after a TRZ MM and Eibach springs I no longer get crazy wheel hop and get somewhat better traction, that paired with some wider tires would help some but traction will always be a problem in this car.

Actually my friend that has a speed3 recently installed a poly rear engine mount, and he says it helped dramatically with tourque steer and traction. you wouldnt think an engine mount would do this but many people have said the same thing. It s easy to install and only takes about 15-20 minutes. It also makes shifting smoother

He already said he has mounts. Stiffer springs assist with eliminating wheelhop some too.

#1 would be tires which I know you mentioned but unless you run around on drag radials you just have to learn to ease into it in 1st and 2nd with any fwd with any power!

this is a really tough thing to do on a fwd car. the only things to really do is like others have said: driver mod, stickier tires. suspension can be played with a bit. you want to reduce as much weight transfer as possible. the more wight you can keep on the front end the less spinning you will get

burnouts before you race, to leave a fresh layer of sticky rubber. chewing lots of gum and sticking them on your tires. coarse grit sandpaper on your tires.

seriously, the only way you're gonna get better traction in 1st and 2nd (assuming you are just talking about launches/racing) is if you get wider rubber, or just keep your foot off the ground

No sand paper, def bleach, soak em in it.

Gmac

Just remember that the more traction you have, the more stress will be put on the drivetrain, ie: tranny, cv joints, shafts, etc... Just a thought if you may be planning on frequent holeshots with a 300+ ft-lb torque FWD car with a lot of traction. :)

Traction has a lot to do with the driver but after a TRZ MM and Eibach springs I no longer get crazy wheel hop and get somewhat better traction, that paired with some wider tires would help some but traction will always be a problem in this car.

I have issues with traction coming out of corners.

But traction from a dead stop is all the drivers fault. Control the Revs and slip the clutch, I have no issues with moving forward and have Zero Wheel hop.

I have issues with traction coming out of corners.

But traction from a dead stop is all the drivers fault. Control the Revs and slip the clutch, I have no issues with moving forward and have Zero Wheel hop.

wouldnt you consider traction out of corners to also be the drivers fault? too much gas to soon after the apex. gunning it instead of rolling it on?

wouldnt you consider traction out of corners to also be the drivers fault? too much gas to soon after the apex. gunning it instead of rolling it on?

sometimes lifting in the corner will only cause you to lose more time than not having traction. Its give in take. Some like to finesse it around the corners. I've had better success with staying in the gas with this car. Could be the Rev Band, could be the LSD, could be my foot. My times aren't really hurting because of it.

Last edited:
Back