Blackberry or iPhone?

Doodsmack

:
2002 Protege ES
Or something else? I'm in the market for a high-quality cell phone right now and need someone to convince me. Right now I'm leaning towards the Blackberry Bold. I would go with the new Storm but it seems a major complaint is that the performance is sluggish. Not sure I could deal with that.

what carrier do you have? I have a blackberry 8320 through tmobile and I have no complaints. I love the WIFI it offers, they just upgraded the OS system which now includes a video camera and supports pop3 email.

If you have verizon you may want to go by the store and look at the balcberry storm. it just came out on firday and its supposed to be an Iphone comp.

I just got the T-Mobile G1, aka the Google Phone..with the open source Android operating system. It's based on Linux. Anyway it's real cool, has a touch screen and a keyboard and everything works well like you'd expect from Google. Check it out before you buy an iPhone.

Not gonna lie here but, Blackberry's are only good if you intend on e-mail use only. Their web browser and text messaging isn't as good as you could get for that money. Although the Bold is helllla nice.

I wouldn't get a G1, after owning two HTC made phones and using their style of touchscreen...it's just not as good as everybody else's and I ran WinMo 5, 6, and 6.1 on them so I've got a bit of experience with those. No offense to those G1 owners out there, it is nice.

I personally would recommend an iPhone, not because I've had mine for maybe 3 weeks now, but it has a touchscreen. Like an actual touchscreen. On the HTC's I've had, yes, they've had touchscreen but those were more like push screen where the taps where very hard and just got annoying. The iP is an actual touchscreen where a simple, light touch is all you need. I mean yea, it is missing a few things but it's a more entertainment based phone that I find very useful in those "I have nothing to do right now and no service" situations.

The BB Storm has the worlds dumbest touchscreen. I thought my HTC's were bad on their touch-ness but the Storm has a button in the dead center of the screen underneath making any outside presses near impossible and VERY hard to do.

This is a Blackberry Storm Review.
This is the G1 Review.
This is the Blackberry Bold Review.
This is an iPhone 3G vs. Bold Review.
This is just for funsies and cause it's awesome.
This would have been the iPhone 3G review but I couldn't find one.
That's a very good site BTW, I suggest you do some sleuthing around on it to find any more info you may want and/or need.

iphonevsstone.jpg

^^ That's hilarious. I am an AT&T user myself so I guess that rules out the Storm. What puzzles me with the Bold is that it seems I need to have an employer/school discount to order it from AT&T's website. Should this be the case?

The other question is whether I actually need a smartphone because I don't expect I'll be doing too much emailing with it. Is it safe to say that the iPhone is built towards the more casual user?

Love my BB Curve... Internet is plenty fast...just ditch the BB web browser for operamini and its worlds better...

i have an ipod touch, and wish that i would had just gotten the iphone. the touch does everything the phone does except make calls.

^^ That's hilarious. I am an AT&T user myself so I guess that rules out the Storm. What puzzles me with the Bold is that it seems I need to have an employer/school discount to order it from AT&T's website. Should this be the case?

The other question is whether I actually need a smartphone because I don't expect I'll be doing too much emailing with it. Is it safe to say that the iPhone is built towards the more casual user?

Absolutely it's built for the casual or first time smartphone user.

I checked out the Bold for you on AT&T's site and I didn't have to use my company email to sign in (we're one of those that get discounts). Try this link for purchasing.

I highly suggest you visit a few retail stores and check out the phones in person. I was 100% sold on the Blackjack 2, until I saw one in person. Awful device. Also, make sure you visit a store that has actual working phones, not plastic shell floor models with no electronics.

if you plan on getting a new service you can get most blackberrys (pearl, curve) for a penny or so via Amazon.com.... thats the way we went. Paid a penny each and got a $50 mail in rebate for each phone.

what are you planning to do with the phone? what features are important to you? are you open to any carrier or does a certain carrier work better in your area than another? without those answers it's tough to make a good suggestion.

i personally don't want an iphone. touch screen only on a something that requires a lot of typing like a phone sounds awful to me. the ipod touch, on the other hand, does sound like a sweet device because there isn't nearly as much typing required. the app store is sweet but i wouldn't want a phone that is touch-only.

blackberries i've heard have gotten a lot better in the latest generation (pretty much the ones released in 2008). i haven't played with them though.

i've had 2 S60 phones and like them but they're certainly not for everyone. they're very customizable and there are a lot of applications out there for them but a lot of people aren't used to being given something so customizable.

windows mobile phones are usually decent. not as open as S60 but still a lot of applications built for the phone to make it more useful.

android i think will be good but i think it's still an early OS so needs some shaking out. plus there is only 1 hardware option now which is only so-so. i have another ~year on my contract now and i'm interested to see what happens to android over the next year but right now i wouldn't bother with it.

i have a palm treo....it's ok. i think blackberries are designed better. which one you get depends on what you need it to do or who is paying. as in my case, work bought me a treo...i didn't have a say.

What's wrong with their touchscreen? And what a horrible review of the G1...very biased and not really fair.

Not gonna lie here but, Blackberry's are only good if you intend on e-mail use only. Their web browser and text messaging isn't as good as you could get for that money. Although the Bold is helllla nice.

I wouldn't get a G1, after owning two HTC made phones and using their style of touchscreen...it's just not as good as everybody else's and I ran WinMo 5, 6, and 6.1 on them so I've got a bit of experience with those. No offense to those G1 owners out there, it is nice.

I personally would recommend an iPhone, not because I've had mine for maybe 3 weeks now, but it has a touchscreen. Like an actual touchscreen. On the HTC's I've had, yes, they've had touchscreen but those were more like push screen where the taps where very hard and just got annoying. The iP is an actual touchscreen where a simple, light touch is all you need. I mean yea, it is missing a few things but it's a more entertainment based phone that I find very useful in those "I have nothing to do right now and no service" situations.

The BB Storm has the worlds dumbest touchscreen. I thought my HTC's were bad on their touch-ness but the Storm has a button in the dead center of the screen underneath making any outside presses near impossible and VERY hard to do.

This is a Blackberry Storm Review.
This is the G1 Review.
This is the Blackberry Bold Review.
This is an iPhone 3G vs. Bold Review.
This is just for funsies and cause it's awesome.
This would have been the iPhone 3G review but I couldn't find one.
That's a very good site BTW, I suggest you do some sleuthing around on it to find any more info you may want and/or need.

Last edited:
Back