effishin turns (You gotta try this)

drifter

for those of you wondering why I chose the name drifter this thread will help you to understand why I called myself this. This is a little trick that one of my friends and I ...well we didnt' really invent it, but we gave it a cool name and perfected it...anyways what you do is wait until it rains, then find a nice, preferable hidden, square parking lot, there is a church parking lot not too far away from my house, then you do a few laps around it to get familiar with the course. once you know where any dangerous obstacles might be you speed up to around thirty, or thirty five, keep it in second, because it's best to catch with, right before you get to the 90 degree turn reach over give the e brake a good solid pull while at the same time tossing the wheel in the direction of the turn, keep pressure up on the e brake until you are totally sideways, then let off the e brake, over correct like mad, and wait until the tires grip again, it's a science really, and once those tires catch it throws you, passengers, and any loose articles in you car violently to the side, great fun though. Next time I'm going to try and video tape it because You really have to see it or experience it to understand how awesome it is. me and one of my friends decided to call it the effishin turn, sorta a cross between fish taling, and an efficient way of turning, anyways just thought I would share that with anyone who is bored. oh, one other thing, don't try this when the pavement is dry, bad bad bad bad idea, a while back I thought I would try an effishin turn with plastic trays wedged underneath my back tires, my friends said it would be cool...damn peer pressure.....so anyway it only took about ten feet before all the plastic had scraped off and i was rubbing away my once good dunlop sp9000 moral of the story, never listen to your idiot friends otherwise you'll end up with horrible flat spots on your rear tires that makes a thumping sound from twenty all the way to about 70.

damn I need new tires.

Another generation of car nuts learn about the handbrake turn!

Loads of fun if the surface is a little wet (or if you are filming a Steven J. Cannell TV series -- watch a rerun of "The A-Team" for instance). Speed TV carries the World Cup Rallying...lots of e-brake turning in rallies.

We use to run my ratty 1967 BMW through the back roads upstate rally-style. Remind me to tell you of the time we stuffed the car into a snow bank up to the firewall with the wheels four feet off the ground. Funny s***!

How Bob, tell us about the time you stuffed the car into a snow bank up to the firewall with the wheels four feet off the ground!

:D :D :D

yeah bob...wasn't there a time when some crazy flyin car type s*** happened? TELL US TELL US! c'mon bob, tell us.

From what I've heard told to me by experienced autoxers, altho drifting looks damn cool, it's not the most efficient way around the turns(and yes it does a lot more damage to the tires as well).

yeah, I know it's not the most efficient way to turn, I was just trying to point out how much fun it is, when I autocrossed I didn't touch the e brake, that would have been kinda foolish, but just when I'm messing around in the wet it's hella fun.

As much as I will sound like a jerk for saying this, I gave up reading the first post in this thread. The third sentence is atleast 100 words long. I could not make anything out of it. Whether people like grammar or not, we need to make an honest attempt at it! :D Sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone.

don't they call that kind of cornering @ss dragging, well at least the people with fr cars... i know in japan its called ff drifting

The Snowdrift Story (since you asked so nicely).

Back in the day (I always wanted to say that), I had a BMW 1600 -- great little car, the MP3 is the modern day version of it with great handling and all. The BMW was, well, tired. I bought it with all intentions of restoring. My girlfriend at the time drove it the first week I had it and ran it sans coolant the better part of 20 miles. The 1600 block and head were aluminum and never really wanted to mate correctly after that.

Anyway, to our story: I was cruising down a back road (that was a road for rock quarry trucks) with my buddy Ward on a winter day, the road is a little snowy and perfect for rally style turns (ass out, full lock). We came up a rise and noticed that the road bent hard to the right under us and down into a stand of trees (on either side of the road). No, we hadn't been up this road before, had no pace notes (??) and had just yumped the rise with all four tires off the road. There was no way that the BMW was going to land in time for us to even try to point the car toward the sturdy looking pines, little off get down the road. In front of us was a wall of snow that had been plowed off the road by the quarry crew. Famous last words? "I hope it's soft!"

The shoulder harnesses did their thing as we buried the nose of the Bimmer into the snow -- hard packing snow through the grills past the radiator and on either side of the motor. My last official act just before becoming part of a snowcone was to turn off the key. Good thing, too...the engine stopped cold.

Funny how quiet it gets in the woods. One moment there is the sound of thrashing 4 banger, tires, gears...and then silence.

We checked to see that all human body parts were still working and attached. Popped open the doors and hopped down to terrafirma. Moments later the two of us are laughing our asses off. The nose of the car is stuffed into the white stuff like Al Pacino in the climax of Scarface. The back wheels are still turning. We climb up to the top of the snowbank and open the hood. (It flipped open back to front on those cars.) The laughter grew louder as we started to dig out the fan blade and around the engine. Engine fired up without a burp...but still the car is several feet (3 or 4) off the ground. As we considered our fate, a pickup truck from the quarry came down the road heading out to get lunch. We explained. They attached a rope and yanked us free.

We continued (a bit slower) back to the shop to make sure everything still worked. It did and the little rally car lived to see another adventure.

The End.

Bondo

Great story Bob

That was pretty funny. Especially the part about the back wheels still turning after you jumped out.

Now my question.

When the truch pulled you out how hard did the car hit when it fell from the bank or was it more of a slide down the bank? :confused:

As I remember, the truck just popped the car out of the snowbank...it bounced onto the snowy ground and was ready to go except for the front grills were pushed in and we had to dig out the front wheels so the car would turn.

Back