Attn: Miata Experts

My opinion is for that much you could really find yourself a much nicer looking miata. That car is going to need a top and the entire car is spray painted. Also has begining rust, rust in a miata is dangerous if not caught and taken care of in time. So I would personally not buy that car. There are alot of other better deals out there. Sorry, didnt mean to be a downer.

I'm with ^ that guy. Run, do not walk, away from this POS! I've seen Miatas in pretty nice shape for $2500-3500, and that thing is not in good shape. The rust is in a pretty bad spot, not a replaceable panel, and he just painted over it instead of fixing it, which could give you an idea of the level of care he's put into everything else on the car.

Replacing the top will run you $300. Unless you're going to use this as a track-only car, and are willing to let it rust away, you'll probably want to have it painted, too. With his rattle-can job on there, you're going to end up paying a lot more for the prep-time (mucho sando) it'll take.

Offer him $800-$1000. If he says no, walk away. The condition is bad, the mileage is ok but not amazing, there's no reason to rush into this car. Keep your eye out, spend a few more bucks, you'll find much more car for not that much more money.

That's the same price I got mine for, and mine was in MUCH better shape than that. I don't know if I'd even pay $1k for that.

zumzumzoom03 said:
Bump... I know you guys got opinions. I've been reading them all day.
Hmm he's accepting offers so he might take $1500, which would probably be fair for that car

zumzumzoom03 said:
Well I found another Miata... this one looks more promising.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46556

Any advice on this one would be great. I'm trying to get a vin # to do the carfax thing. I'm thinking 1200-1500 would be a good price to offer since the engine may need rebuilt.

Thanks for the help..(spin)

If you're looking for a project car, this looks like a good way to start (especially being his father was the first owner, and he being the second). An engine rebuild and a full brake job are a must.

96' was one of the good years for the 1.8 miata. From the look of the pics, the body does look solid. As stated before... rust along the quarters and rockers, is virtually a death sentence to the rest of the body of the car if not kept in check and treated.

From the sounds of things, you should have no problem getting the car from him for at least 1K.

And this one is a way better deal than the first one!:p

Best of luck!

zumzumzoom03 said:
Well I found another Miata... this one looks more promising.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46556

Any advice on this one would be great. I'm trying to get a vin # to do the carfax thing. I'm thinking 1200-1500 would be a good price to offer since the engine may need rebuilt.

Thanks for the help..(spin)
did you read the part about the oil?

MiaTurbo said:
did you read the part about the oil?

that caught my attention... the 1.8 miatas generally pretty bulletproof in my experience... if its going thru as much oil as he makes it sound like, i'd be worried...

Yeah the car has 175k and I think it would be fun part to rebuild the engine. Most likely the seals are bad or something along those lines. But this is going to be a project car and I'm aint scared hah. I'm guessing the 1.8 engine is the best for the miata so rebuilding it would be the best and not an engine swap.

zumzumzoom03 said:
Yeah the car has 175k and I think it would be fun part to rebuild the engine. Most likely the seals are bad or something along those lines. But this is going to be a project car and I'm aint scared hah. I'm guessing the 1.8 engine is the best for the miata so rebuilding it would be the best and not an engine swap.

Well as long as you keep positive.... this whole ordeal can be a major learning experiance, in a good way.:)

I'm thinking I am going to look at this car this week. Has anybody rebuilt a 1.8 liter miata engine? Whats the rough cost to do so? Also is there any weak spots that you would want to beef up? Last question does the stock 1.8 like boost or is it weak like a msp engine. Just planning for the future. Thanks for the help

Both the 1.6 and the 1.8 are great engines to mod and are pretty straightforward when doing a rebuild. As far as the cost factor when doing a rebuid, that really depends on if you are doing the work yourself or if you are paying someone else to do it.

There's a lot of good info out there to help you on your rebuild, and possible future mods.

Here's a great piece of literature from Keith Tanner, from Flying Miata.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4535&parentid=0&stocknumber=46-86000

This should give you an idea on what can be done or has been done to the miata, as well as a breif history.(wiggle)

I'm thinking I am going to look at this car this week. Has anybody rebuilt a 1.8 liter miata engine? Whats the rough cost to do so? Also is there any weak spots that you would want to beef up? Last question does the stock 1.8 like boost or is it weak like a msp engine. Just planning for the future. Thanks for the help

the 1.6 engine block loves boost, it's got thicker cylinder walls and has a turbo pedigree. I have talked with some miata guys (from shadetree mechanics to Spec racing teams) and you similar power outputs with a boosted 1.6 as with an NA 1.8. The 1.8 does well with pressure be it turbo or supercharged. you can also add nitrous, but it will require more fuel and retardation (derrrrrr) of the timing.
There is yet another option, and that's getting Independent Throttle Bodies.
for sale for a 1.6
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

toda racing engine...
t_toda_race_engine_bp_175.jpg

Looks w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y better than the last two. Good find!(thumb)

So, does it have a clean history? From what I could tell by the pictures, it just only had minor cosmetic damage (things that're easily replaced).

How's the milage? Engine? And undercarage? Before purchasing this new find.... I would throw the miata on a lift, and check-out the undercarage. You can find-out a whole lot of things about a car, just by looking at the undercarage.(rei)

Mileage is 175k. Engine is shot I believe. It burns some oil. I was supposed to go look at it tonight but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Price he has it listed is 2k but everything is negotiable. It does need a new top too.

Back