Fatter tires on 15" alloys

Don Lockwood

:
Red Mazda3 GS
Ok! I know.... everybody wants 17", 18", 19" wheels. But, i live in Montreal (Quebec) and don't want to ride a skateboard in those ugly things we call streets.... potholes, potholes... cracks... potholes....

I have a 3 GS 4 door with 15" alloys that i find attractive and the ride is confortable. I want to upgrade the 195/65 to stickier 205/60.

I am wondering if anyone here has done it. I am looking at BFG GForce Sport and Hankook HR405.... not sure about the model.

I want to keep the confortable ride of the 15s but add a bit more rubber for fun factor and look. I will not buy new larger wheels... would have to do a full tires & wheels upgrade...$$$.... no money for that.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks!

I live in Montreal as well, and feel your pain. For the winter months, I put 205/65 R15 on my Mazda 6, hella comfy ride.

I dont think you will feel much difference with a slightly wider tire but if you do upgrade, 205/60 R15 should be ok. For the winter months you get better pewrformance on snow with the narrower 195 tire. Look at upgrading in spring.

Mikey444 said:
I live in Montreal as well, and feel your pain. For the winter months, I put 205/65 R15 on my Mazda 6, hella comfy ride.

I dont think you will feel much difference with a slightly wider tire but if you do upgrade, 205/60 R15 should be ok. For the winter months you get better pewrformance on snow with the narrower 195 tire. Look at upgrading in spring.

I am already riding on 195/65/15 winter tires.... i don't believe there is such a thing a 4 season tire for our climate.... a tire that could perform from -30c in january to +30c in july would be a miracle.

The original OEM 15" Toyos are still good, but they are more built like a touring tire... that tread design is really nothing to get excited about...and they look skinny. Very cheap tire.

I upgraded my old Sunbird from Michelin 195-65-15 to Yokohamas 205-60-15 and that filled up the fenders very nicely.

Back