Who makes factory radio/CD changer?

cmdogz

:
2005 3s 5 door
Does anyone know who makes the radio/CD changer installed in the 2005 3s?
I'd like to add a sat radio tuner, but the Mazda unit is way expensive.

I've noticed that Crutchfield sells several tuners, but it seem they will work only with specific brands of head units.

Is it safe to asume that if Kenwood, for example, supplies the Mazda factory units that an aftermarket Kenwood tuner will plug and play?

Captain KRM P5 said:
the kenwood tuner will most definetely not work with the OEM head unit

Are you saying that because the OEM head is not made by Kenwood or because the OEM unit was purposely spec'd to be incompatible with aftermarket products. I was only using Kenwood as an example; I have no idea who Mazda contracts with to provide audio components in the current 3s. If I remember correctly Matsushita provided the OEM audio on the old Miatas.

cmdogz said:
Does anyone know who makes the radio/CD changer installed in the 2005 3s?

All the bits inside are marked "FMS audio" if that means anything to anybody...

David.

I haven't looked at the Mazda3 audio pieces but it's not a surprise if they are indeed manufactured by FMS. FMS Audio is a Malaysian-based auto audio manufacturer that was initially established through a joint venture by Ford, Mazda and Sanyo. FMS Audio is now wholly owned by Sanyo and the car audio products they manufacture are commonly found on Mazda vehicles.

wongpres, you never cease to amaze me with all the little nuggets of information you have tucked away.

aftermarket tuner

i don't think any aftermarket sirius tuners work with the stock radio - none that i've seen match the 16 pin jack that the back of our radios have, not even the sanyo ones (8 pin).

Thanks for the information. Looks like the options are pretty limited since the radio/changer is so much integrated into the dash. Any ideas about where to find the Mazda satellite tuner at a decent price. My dealer was quoting a price of over $400. Seems way high when other Sirius and XM tuners are available for under $100.

Back