ISO: Stock 3s Sedan Spring Rates

Solo2Protege

:
Mz3|Mz6W|Protege LX
I'm looking for info on the stock spring rates for the 3s sedan. I am looking at getting a coilover kit for daily driving and need to know a starting point for spring rates to use.

I'd even take aftermarket spring rate info as well, Eibach, H&R, Progress etc.

thanks alot.

Solo2Protege said:
I'm looking for info on the stock spring rates for the 3s sedan. I am looking at getting a coilover kit for daily driving and need to know a starting point for spring rates to use.

I'd even take aftermarket spring rate info as well, Eibach, H&R, Progress etc.

thanks alot.
That's a very good question..
I have no idea why the spring manufactures do not list the spring rate?

I somewhat understand why mazda doesn't list their stock spring rate. It would be like them listing their blower motor RPM's...

But the aftermarket guys, Eibach, H&R, etc... they should definately list their spring rates so you know more about what you are buying? Ever try emailing them and simply asking?

djltoronto said:
That's a very good question..
I have no idea why the spring manufactures do not list the spring rate?

I somewhat understand why mazda doesn't list their stock spring rate. It would be like them listing their blower motor RPM's...

But the aftermarket guys, Eibach, H&R, etc... they should definately list their spring rates so you know more about what you are buying? Ever try emailing them and simply asking?

Ya, i've called before and have been given ballpark numbers (not this time, but others) Sorry i was being a bit lazy by just asking...but i did do a search ;)

Some autoxers i know are that technical, that they'd have the springs tested.... i know a long shot...lol

Solo2Protege said:
Ya, i've called before and have been given ballpark numbers (not this time, but others) Sorry i was being a bit lazy by just asking...but i did do a search ;)

Some autoxers i know are that technical, that they'd have the springs tested.... i know a long shot...lol
It's surprising to em that this information isn't readily available!!!

Hope someone here can provide some numbers for us...

OK, well no stock spring rate info yet, but i did get the Eibach info. here goes:

Pro-Kit
(Linear, single rate)
Front = 160#
Rear = 171#

SportLine
(Progressive, Dual rate)
Front = 97# / 280#
Rear = 114# / 303#

Solo2Protege said:
OK, well no stock spring rate info yet, but i did get the Eibach info. here goes:

Pro-Kit
(Linear, single rate)
Front = 160#
Rear = 171#

SportLine
(Progressive, Dual rate)
Front = 97# / 280#
Rear = 114# / 303#

What are these numbers?

spring rates given in lbs per square inch.
The "#" symbol is short for "lbs"

i.e. 160 lbs or 160#

So it takes 160 lbs to compress the spring 1 inch, 320 lbs to compress it 2 inches and so on...

Linear springs are the same rate from top to bottom and generally have evenly spaced coils. These have a more pronounced feel to them as they remain at a constant rate through out their compression/decompression. Linear springs are used in 99.9% of racing applications.

Progessive springs have a dual rate, designed for street use, as they have softer coils at the top or bottom to absourb the softer bumps and maintain ride comfort, but when pushed hard, the softer coils bunch up and then the remaining stiffer coils get in on the act and take over.

The numbers may look pretty high for the progessive springs, but they balance out to nearly the same as the linear springs. I don't know all the math behind it, but they aren't too far off. Plus add in the fact the progressive springs are lower, etc etc...thats engineer territory.

Solo2Protege said:
spring rates given in lbs per square inch.
The "#" symbol is short for "lbs"

i.e. 160 lbs or 160#

So it takes 160 lbs to compress the spring 1 inch, 320 lbs to compress it 2 inches and so on...

Linear springs are the same rate from top to bottom and generally have evenly spaced coils. These have a more pronounced feel to them as they remain at a constant rate through out their compression/decompression. Linear springs are used in 99.9% of racing applications.

Progessive springs have a dual rate, designed for street use, as they have softer coils at the top or bottom to absourb the softer bumps and maintain ride comfort, but when pushed hard, the softer coils bunch up and then the remaining stiffer coils get in on the act and take over.

The numbers may look pretty high for the progessive springs, but they balance out to nearly the same as the linear springs. I don't know all the math behind it, but they aren't too far off. Plus add in the fact the progressive springs are lower, etc etc...thats engineer territory.
Thanks for the info. if you don't mind me asking, How did you acquire this info?

Latest posts

Back