V6 same as upcomming 03 Lincoln LS?

Tonpow

The new Lincoln LS is quoting a 3.0 liter V6 with variable inlet cam timing. Its got to be darn close if not the same motor that's in the 6.

Anyone care to speculate?

Why does it matter you say? Well, they are quoting the new LS at 12 more HP and more torque. Maybe an easy upgrade path with Lincoln components? Just random thoughts...

unless you can find concrete evidence that the lincoln LS's 3.0L is a Duratec-based block with Mazda-engineered head work, I will say that these 2 3.0L engines (LS and 6) are completely different beasts...

Isn't the Lincoln LS a rear wheel drive car? Making a front drive engine into a rear drive engine is very time consuming even for a manufacturer. And the likelyhood of them being the same motor is slim.

The same variable timing technology could be the same though.

Last edited:
Here is a quote off of a Ford site...

"The 3.0 Duratech FWD(Taurus, Sable, Escape) and RWD(Lincoln LS V6) are the same bellhousing pattern."

I'm investigating more

Isn't the Lincoln LS a rear wheel drive car? Making a front drive engine into a rear drive engine is very time consuming even for a manufacturer. And the likelyhood of them being the same motor is slim.

The motor really doesn't have anything to do with making it front wheel or rear whell drive. It just depends on the way it's mounted, longitudanlly or transversly.

"The 3.0 Duratech FWD(Taurus, Sable, Escape) and RWD(Lincoln LS V6) are the same bellhousing pattern."

This pretty much sums up my statement. The transmissions have the same bolt pattern as each other, but one is made for a rear wheel drive vechicle while the other is front. The engine is independant of front wheel or rear wheel drive, but the transmissions are different.

Back