5spd in a Minivan?

CRISPY5

:
MAZDA, PROTEGE5,5SPD
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, on the Mazda web site, interior tab, it shows a 5 speed manual shifter in the Mazda5 when you click on one of the little blue squares....

Even though the Mazda5 is a 3/4 scale minivan, it will be the only one in the American market with a stick. It's about time!!

Every other market provides a choice of transmissions, heck in Europe you can get almost any minivan that is also sold in the states with a 5 speed, even a MPV...

If it is true, I'm gonna get me one for sure!!

It's like my P5 but supersized!!

the dodge caravans came with a 5 speed I believe... very very rare, but they were offered.

lasermp5 said:
the dodge caravans came with a 5 speed I believe... very very rare, but they were offered.
Yeah, my g/f's mom had one, I don't think she ever learned how to drive it properly (smash)

CRISPY5 said:
Even though the Mazda5 is a 3/4 scale minivan, it will be the only one in the American market with a stick. It's about time!!

I really don't even consider it a minivan after getting the dimensions of the thing and comparing it to other vehicles.

Compare to a Matrix and the Mazda3 5-door:

Mazda5: Length 177" Width 69.1" Height 63.6"

Mazda3: Length 176.6" Width 69.1" Height 57.7"

Matrix: Length 171.3" Width 69.9" Height 61.6"

The Mazda5 is only a bit longer than the Mazda3 and the same width, but six inches taller. However, the Matrix is only two inches shorter in height and is wider than the Mazda5.

Don't be fooled by the sliding doors like I initially was.

I know a bunch of the old RWD minivans like the Aerostar and Astro had manual transmissions available, and the older 1st and 2nd Gen Caravans had them too. If anything newer has a stick, they must have been special orders, or something like that.

As far as not really being a minivan, that is all in the eye of the beholder I guess... What is a van anyway?? Passengers sit more upright? The passenger cabin is moved forward to give more capacity towards the rear? Sliding doors and walk thru passenger compartment? If these things make a van, then I think it is one... As far as the size goes, it is not really the first of it's kind. There was the first generation Honda Oddysey, and the trio of mini-minivans sold by Eagle, Mitsubishi, and Plymouth... What were they called?? Expo, Colt Vista, and I can't recall the other name....

The honda had no sliding doors, and the Expo trio had only one... But I sure everyone called them a minivan...

Anyone remeber back when vans were cool??? They still can be if you look at them in a different way...

How about a Mazda5 turbo 5speed with all the trimmings??? I don't know many soccer Mom's who could even drive the thing!!! No offence inteded of course......

That is just my take on this cool little thang!!

Yeah, if we have more than the one kid, or somehow find that we need more room/seating than the P5, I'd get a Mazda5 just because it comes in a stick. I hate driving SUV's and don't want to ever own an automatic, so this is my first choice (only choice) in a six-seat vehicle. I think they're kind of cool looking, too, though the resemblance to a dust-buster is hard to ignore!

I'm not planning on 3-7 kids, so I don't need some Giant Urban Assault Vehicle, but if I want 6 seats and the ability to park, this is my van!

CRISPY5 said:
What is a van anyway?? Passengers sit more upright? The passenger cabin is moved forward to give more capacity towards the rear? Sliding doors and walk thru passenger compartment? If these things make a van, then I think it is one...

So if the Matrix has sliding back doors, that would make it a minivan? Weird. The Scion xB also has more upright seating, and is actually a little taller than the Matrix5. I suppose some might think it is s shrunken minivan, but to me these are all wagons.

I suppose I'm conditioned by the minivans I see out there today. Those you have to climb into and you're sitting much higher off the ground it seems than in the xB or the Matrix. If the Mazda5 feels like a minivan when I go for a test drive, then that will pretty much kill any chance of me buying one. So I really hope it feels more like a wagon.

lasermp5 said:
Dodge caravans even had turbos...vcerry rare but offerer as well :) Hopefully this car will have some mazda charictoristic handeling unlike a certain car that remain nameless...

Just my opinion..... The Scion Xb looks like the offspring from a bloated Yugo mating with a $4 toaster from the 70's, and that is being polite!!

If the Mazda5 looks like a dustbuster, then my P5 must look like a Hoover Canister Vac with retractable cord!!

But of course that is my opinion, and everyone else is entitled to thier's as well.

If we all had the same opinion, the only car made in the world would be a beige Honda Accord 4dr with an automatic...

So for gods sake....... I'm all for differing opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take the Dustbuster in silver metalic with a 5spd thank you.........

Keep in mind, I preceded "it kind of looks like a dustbuster" with "I think it's pretty cool looking"! I do like the look of the 5, and if the need arose, I think I'd get one, depending on how it drives.

On the other hand I do like the look of the xB, too, it's kind of bulldog-ish!
I've driven the xB, and it's way nicer to drive than it's shape and 1.5L engine would lead you to believe. It's an ergonomic nightmare for my wife though. Put the seat back where she needs it to drive, and she can't reach the steering wheel. Neither one of us could reach the rearview mirror from anywhere near our driving position, either! It's got an odd shape inside. Also, it's a 4-5 seater, so it doesn't really compete with the 6-seat Mazda5.

If mazda doesn't release the 2 this year I'll be looking to buy a new 5. They look great from the shots I've seen at the japanese auto show. Nothing says "badass" like a 300whp micro-mini!!

Oh, and the VW Eurovans are available with a stick... and those old Caravan 5-speed turbovans sound slick, and they are pretty sought after... I've never seen a 5spd. Aerostar though, we are on our second aerostar right now.

my father-in-law had a 93 toyota previa with a stick. it was special ordered because he doesnt like autotragic (one of the few things he got right) when it died he bought a 04 toyota sienna. couldnt get it in stick, only option was the "sport-matic" autostick.

Back