another oil change question

mobomelter

:
2004 Civic Si
i was going through my manual today and i noticed this nice paragraph
Changing Oil Filter
Because you need a special tool to retighten the filter, an Authorized Mazda Dealer should do the work.

i'm assuming they mean the standard oil filter wrench you can pick up at an auto parts store? also since my 3 is a 2.3l and a 2005 do you think i'll have the spin-off filter? is there anyway to tell without taking the filter off? thanks!

Waranty Might Force You To Take It To A Garage...

Woowoo.gif

as long as i document it i should be ok. i'm just wondering if they are trying to bulls*** me with the "special tool" thing.

They'd probably have a paragraph in there to ask you to goto the dealer to get your wiper blades changed because they use special tightening tools :D

Just kidding. You only need to hand tighten oil filters. You may need a filter wrench to get it loose if it's stuck on tight (especially getting the first filter that came with the new car off), but other than that, use your hands. :)

So yes you're right, it's a bunch of BS

what about the whole spin-off oil filter? is there anyway to tell short of taking it off the car?

yeah i also thought it was a little odd the you need a "tool" to re-tighten it since you are supposed to only put it on hand tight....

that site has the cartridge replacement. does anyone know if my car has the spin off or cartridge?

Last edited:
I don't know anythin gabout cartridge filters, but if you have a spin on, they put that s*** on there so tight that a filter wrench is mandatory. Also, when I did my first MSP oil change, I got a replacement oil filter, and a wrench to fit it. Later I come to find out that the oil filter from the factory is larger than the filter they give to replace it. So after I drain my oil I realize the filter wrench i just bought doesn't fit, and I spend about an hour trying to get the damn thing off. (pissed)

Here, oil chnages only cost 26.99 CAD at my dealer, so I dont bother atempting to change my own oil, I let them take care of it.

Last edited:
I get $30...so I do them myself with the oil of my choice and just call and tell them when I did it. No belt wrenches...the socket adaptor is highly recomended and yes hand tight using your arm and not a airgun! filter and o-rings found at mazdastuff site linked above. 1.8, 2.0, and 3.0= spin on and 2.3=dreaded fawking cartride! How to should be lokated in how-to section

Btw they aren't bullshitting about the wrong tool...if you try to take that plastic cap off with pliers, or anything metal and it pinches the plastic cap even slightly...it can cause hairline cracks.

@ 90-100 psi oil pressure, those hairline cracks turn into floods of oil...bam oil starvation BAM piston out the window.

Puff of smoke leak from under hood oil light flickers extreme vibrations car slows to a complete stop using engine breaking and a really loud scream(You screaming FAWK!) I'd think they would have designed something more durable so I4 wouldn't need to have the under carage splash guard to prevent road debris from caracking it... I know it has saved me many times from the arlington speed bumps it scrapes against

Last edited:
seanmcsean said:
I get lifetime free oil changes through my dealer.. not bad eh?

Damn... whose knob did you have to bob for that one? (blowjob) (butthump)

Back