Anyone know - where will NA Mazda5's be assembled?

rookie

I'm just curious... I am wondering if seeing that Mazda thinks that Mazda5 will not sell well in the US - that we'll get cars assembled in Japan rather than Mazda setting up an assembly line in NA?

Anyone know?

The Mazda5 is assembled in Ujina 2 in Hiroshima, Japan.

Given that the Mazda5 is based on the same platform as the Mazda3 (slightly longer wheelbase), it would initially appear reasonable to think these two vehicles would be assembled at the same location. But they're not, as the Mazda3 is assembled 1.5-2 hours away at Hofu 1 in Hofu, Japan. Mazda3 is so popular and takes up so much capacity that Hofu 1 is completely dedicated to this one vehicle.

Ujina 2, on the other hand, was newly re-opened in 2004 for the purpose of building various models, including the Mazda5. Ujina 2 has a lot of capacity, even after incorporating Mazda5 production. However, a twist fell upon Ujina 2 with the December fire at the Ujina 1 paintshop. So, until this April, the various Ujina 1 models are painted at the Ujina 2 paintshop and then routed back to Ujina 1 to complete assembly. It's actually quite amazing how Mazda did this and demonstrates how flexible their systems are.

That is nice to know that Mazda builds and sends the Mazda5 here in the US and Canada straight from Japan.

VW is not treating its customers in the US or Canada the same way. For instance, the Touran and the Golf V have been out in Europe for two years now, and they are not offered here in the US. I'm for a company that is responsive, and "astucieux." Keep up the good work Mazda cos' my money is coming your way. (2thumbs)

Now, diesel will be nice for 2006.

psychoart said:
Now, diesel will be nice for 2006.

Ah yes, a Diesel option WOULD be nice!

I never could quite get how come there are like 3-4 cars out there with diesel in the US. Back in Europe, I'd say about 40% of cars are diesel, TDI most of them...

If I get a Mazda 5, it will be the main family car and wife will drive it the most. We'll be putting some miles on that thing, and probably own it until the wheels fall off (and when they do - duck-tape them back for a little more! :) ). Diesel would be kewl. By 2007 (I think thats when California emission standards kick in nationwide?), the lazy gas companies around here will have to do something like doing a D20 mix for disel fuel (20% of biodiesel) which will get the emissions drastically down...

Back