Painting the calipers?

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
I would like to know how to take the calipers completely apart to paint them.

And what brand of paint do I need to use, something that wont peel off when they salt the roads in winter.

what do you mean completely apart? as in remove them from the vehicle or remove them and disassemble them?

disassemble and remove them from the vehicle so the paint work can be properly done. There is already some rust building up on them, and before applying the paint, I want to get rid of that, cause than comes the next winter and the paint will just chip away.

Last edited:
So, how can I get this done? Did some of you that have them painted just take it to a shop to get it done?

Suscribing....

If both the front and rear pairs of calipers are the same i might get a spare set and do them two at a time....

in the protege the caliper is held on by two bolts. take them off. you dont really want to take off the break line..unless you want to bleed em and s*** again, not worth it. but put newspaper all over, protect the car, go to town with a wirebrush, and then paint. since mine came silver from the factory, i just touch them up with silver now and then, but supposedly the G2 brake stuff is good.

My calipers never left my car. Using converter and accesory socket I dreameled the surface smooth and with a foam brush painted them...seing every dealership visit results in dints and dings I have over 8 coats on now. Mazda caliper decals make them look so much better and not look so Brembo wannabe ;)

Everyting I reply to is subscribed...(with exception of Mazdaspeed 6 *UGH!*)

calipers was my 1st mod actualy...that had to be a record for the shortest in history for someone to take a screwdriver to a car driven from dealership...Sad thing is I bought the car to stop modding the car I traded in for it.

Last edited:
Use the G2 paint. You can get it from TireRack or other places on the net. Comes with everything you need. Not sure about the Mazda6 but on the P5 it was not necessary to unbolt the calipers. The kit comes with all you need, degreaser, paint. It is an epoxy based paint and very tough. I've had it on for 2 winters and still looks good.

If you have never done brakes before or are not sure I would not take them apart.

In the 6tech how-to section, there is an article on changing the brake pads. That shows you how to remove the calipers...its only another bolt after that for the lower support bracket.

Tirerack kit says don't drive on them for like a day or 2 so make shure you have a second vehicle or make shure you don't have anyplace to go anytime soon...

That kit is the best kit IMHO...

if n e one is thinking of painting theirs any time soon, can you please post pics of steps you used to paint? i painted my P5 calipers myself came out really good, had to redo it after every winter though. What i want to know is, is it basically the same steps to take as the p5 or are there some places if paint hits im ****'d?

thanks

this is what i used to paint the p5 did n e one else use it? i dont think they sell G2 in montreal, and dont wanna wait to get it off the net....

Attachments

• 0477577_450_CC_45eff.jpg
    0477577_450_CC_45eff.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 200
I just bought the exact same kit (RED) at auto zone today. I'll be painting mine this week. I'll try to post some pics if I possible.

snooky said:
this is what i used to paint the p5 did n e one else use it? i dont think they sell G2 in montreal, and dont wanna wait to get it off the net....

MUSOM said:
I just bought the exact same kit (RED) at auto zone today. I'll be painting mine this week. I'll try to post some pics if I possible.

thanks man goodluck

okok here u guys go!

Attachments

• caliper-029.jpg
    caliper-029.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 189
  • caliper-3244.jpg
    caliper-3244.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 193
Back