Mazda 3 - 16" or 17" better for snow?

Hi there!

I am looking at either a GS+sport package+power pack.. or a GT+GFX package.. but I need to know one thing first..

How does the 3's drive on snow?? or shall I say, how does the 16" tire compare to the 17" tire when it comes to driving in snow? I just want to use all season tires and don't want to go through the trouble of changing tires...

I drive a Nissan Altima 2000 now and in the market for a new car.. Is the Mazda 3 comparable to the old altima, at all?

Thanks a lot! :)

Theresa

Last edited:
mazda3ornot, I've also PM'd you for more Toronto-specific info. But do a search here for other input regarding winter tires.

I dont know if the size has anything to do w/ it, BUt i have 16in and i drove 650 mi all in the snow , and it did great !!!

The size of the wheel is irrelevant to snow traction. The only thing that makes a difference is tread width. Since the 16s and 17s are both 205 tires, the only factor is cost. 16 inch snows will cost you less than 17 inch snows.

mazda3ornot said:
Hi there!

I am looking at either a GS+sport package+power pack.. or a GT+GFX package.. but I need to know one thing first..

How does the 3's drive on snow??

i would say go for either model and downsize 1 on the tires (so if you get GS go with 15" tires and GT get 16" snows) as goldwing said, smaller tires will be cheaper and the 15s are 195mm wide - narrower tires better for winter.

you can't fit 15" wheels on the GT due to larger calipers. I am quite happy with my GT and 16" hankook w300 tires :D

Yeah I have the stock 17" and the 6 cd indash changer sunroof package. I have big plans for my mazda. This is what i did with the 1998 stratus i owned I sold it 2 months ago. here's a pic of that awesome ride http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/358465
Im glad i sold it cause i really wanted this mazda.
some mazda3 specs
Acceleration: 0-60 mph in seven seconds (estimated)

Engine Type: displacement: DOHC 16-valve, four-cylinder; 2.3 liter

Horsepower: 160 hp @6,500 rpm

Torque: 150 foot-pounds @4,500 rpm

EPA Mileage: 25 city/32 highway

Attachments

• DSCF1589.JPG
    DSCF1589.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 193
Back