Piss poor mileage why?

russr

:
Mazda6 6i 5-door 2004
I've got about 3k miles on my odometer for my Mazda6i (4cylinder) and I must say that I'm disappointed as I'm getting terrible mileage. I'm getting around 24mpg which is what you're supposed to get for city driving and I mostly do 40-50mph driving so I should be getting better than that.

I did my first oil change about 1000 miles ago, but that did not improve mileage. Tires seem to be in good shape too, so no loss from them.

How about you guys?

it depends on your driving style, especially if you have an mtx. I do mostly uphill stop and go so I get around 19mpg city and 29 highway. Your numbers do not suprise me.. they are par for the course.

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage till after you put some miles on the car. Both the 2.3 and 3.0 engines are power builders...and both whp/ft/lbs and mileage improve as the car ages.

Make sure to use spec'd oil (@ least semi-syn 5w-20 oils) and you'll be fine. Also realize if your in the snow-belt, they are now on the winter mix of gas, which can drop your mileage as much as 2-3 mpg.

Add to the fact that most people forget to check their tire pressure when the temp drops (improper tire pressure effects mileage too), and you can easily see why mileage can drop as much as 5-6 mpg during the winter.

If your still getting piss pour mileage after 5k-10k miles...then you need to start investigating the problem.

and don't forget it is winter too
cold air = dense air = needs more gas to burn

I can do as much as 500-600 kilometers on one tank doing all highway and as poor as 300 kilometer, sometimes a lil less, my driving varies a lot so does my mileage. I am more than satisfied with the fuel consumption numbers, they really arent too bad for my car.

i was getting like 19-20 mpg, that kinda freaked me out, since i had an srt that was getting upwards of 25 all the time and usually over 30 on long road trips. it is starting to get better now, looking like around 24 mpg so that is good, hopefully it will get better.

Yeah I got like 26.4 mpg on my last tank and like I said, that's not highway, but a combination of 30-55mph driving. Some roads with traffic and a bit of stop and go and others with 55mpg driving on short stretches.

well, i just filled up this morning on my way to work and checked my mileage, just a smige over 26 mpg. i am quite pleased with that, and like russr said, its a combination of city and highway, 30-65+ mph. Ok, now if gas prices would go back down to $1.60 something, that would be just to perfect. I was paying around $2.00 a gallon for premium in my srt, now i am paying damn near $2.00 a gallon for 87 octane for the 6! Is there some sort of devious plan against me?

No there's no devious plan against you. We're paying a lot for gas because our world's fossil fuels are rapidly declining and we pay extra to buy it form the middle east, but alternate forms of fuel aren't being researched enough because of greedy oil companies that want you to use gas and pay a lot for it. It's all politics unfortunately...otherwise we'd be using other forms of fuel with much higher efficiency and much greener by-products.

yep thats why they are trying their damndest to prove hybrid cars are bad ;) My MPG was better during this break in than the last 10K miles! I remember driving 40 miles and the topped off needle would already be at 3/4 but stop and extreme go traffic will do that to ya...

also as crossbow pointed out...the drop in temps also cause you to let the car idle longer than you would on a 80 degree day. I personally can't do the 20 seconds and pull off cause I have less than a block before I get on the "295 speedway" which requires hi revving to get off the onramp and force your way into traffic. D.C. is a fun place to drive!

Also take into acount that if you have the ATX the 4 cyl apsolutely hates it at low rpms...this car takes too much time to get moving from a stop due to the rmp it natraly starts from but once it's in motion it tends to show zoom-zoom charatoristics.

Promise it's my last edit...LOL

Last edited:
yeah the mtx takes a while to warm up in the winter too. And if you don't allow sufficient time, when you're at the first stop sign or traffic light, the idle drops to about 500rpm and almost stalls.

you also get a cel for beatng a cold engine so when you take it in to scan it they know...

I'm 13,000 miles into mine and have given up on the advertised 32mpg. The best I've ever had is 27.5, and I know I'm not that tough on the car because I got the advertised fuel economy on my last car (an eagle talon with a 1.8).

If you read the fine print, there is like a 26-32 mpg range (iirc) that they are allowed to advertise. To me though, 4.5 mpg is unacceptably far off.

I'm getting 18.654 miles to the gallon. 26 is the best I got. Never ever go aff the epa standards cause they drive a certain speed on a pre-deterined course at certain temps and at certain sea level with nothing extra in the car but them and the floormats..

I think i hit that 26mpg a couple times in my 42k, but i think it was only 2 times. mpg changed greatly after about 10k i was shocked for a while. i'm a pretty consistant 23-24mpg with avg. daily beatings on the car. After the last race weekend i avg'd just under 12!! now that's great @ over $3 a gallon up by the track.

I got better MPG autoXin! This atx is wierd as hell ;)

The wife has been getting 25-28 Mpg in her new 6i...it has 2200 miles on it, has not even had its first oil change (dunno)

I'm on 3rd oil change right now...all synthetic blend "mobil 1/redline" I haven't tried the german casterol, FuelPower, or LubeGuard as of yet...

Back