Offset on Mazda 6 stock rims

SKY

:
Mazdaspeed3
I did a quick search and didn't find my answer. (Sorry if it's already posted somewhere) I want to know the offset on the 17" stock rims on the Mazda 6.

Thanks.

very high, i heard once but not 100% on this , i think its around a 50 offset

I dont have a 6 but I can tell you how to find out. Take off a rim and look at the inside part of it, most likely on the backside of on of the spokes and it should tell you the rim size ans also the offset.

17x7 +60 offset. Hub is 67mm. Weight 22-23 lbs. 114.3x5

16x7 +55 offset. " "

Be wary of running low offsets on the car, the rear fenderwells don't like them, and rubbing will occur unless the rear fender lip is rolled.

I'm running 17x8+48 225/45/17's with rear fenders rolled. Indiividuals have run 235/45/17 on the same rims without issue. We "think" that 245/40/17 will fit, but nobodies been brazen enough to test that theory yet.

Last edited:
Mikey,

I think your a bit confused. If it fits, it fits...it won't magically tear through the fender one day. There isn't a "well it just barely fits, so something bad might happen one day". It does, or doesn't.

235/40/17 fits, and there is still room. (It fits regardless of ride height) The question is will the 245 squeeze in there, which hasn't been proven yet. If it does, it'll really help curtail the curb weight of the car and pay massive dividends in performance :).

If you think 245/40 is crazy...talk to the rx8 guys who put 275 hoosiers on their 18x8's.

I'll be testing 245/40/17 fitment by removing the rear springs and maximizing suspension travel with the wheel/tire in place. If it hits, it don't work...if it doesn't, it'll never have a problem.

Last edited:
Anyone knows if I can put 205/40/17 on the Mazda 6 rims?
I plan to put the rims on another car and the stock tires are too big for it. I need like 215/40/17, but I see more 205 selling than 215, so I just wonder if the 205 can also fit.

Thanks!

crossbow said:
I'll be testing 245/40/17 fitment by removing the rear springs and maximizing suspension travel with the wheel/tire in place. If it hits, it don't work...if it doesn't, it'll never have a problem.

Let mw know the results. That sounds like the magical number for the MS6. I realize that the geometry on the MS6 will be different, but I gotta start somewhere. One question, though...... Are the fronts or the rears more of a problem? I would be tempted to put more rubber up front, as i can live with oversteer :)
Merv

Merv,

Z6speed (twin turbo 6s MTX) recently snapped some photos. It looks like the MPS 6 suspension geometry is almost identical to the standard 6's. So thus fitment should be similar...although it would be better to try and fit wheels in a shop before purchasing them.

Fitment issues are always a problem in the rear. You have to roll the rear fenders to fit 8 inch wide rims on the car.

Once you do that though, 235/45/17's fit without issue..(of course depends on your offset choice). Were almost certain the 245/40/17's will fit, and I'm currently watching ebaymotors to purchase a used 245/40/17 and have it mounted, so I can see how well fitment will be front/rear.

And ya, if you run a reverse staggered setup, you will induce oversteer. Although if you already have a 6, just lowering the car and running aggressive tires will promote a good amount of oversteer. With a rear sway, I'd be hesitant to try and give it much more...its pretty tailhappy just with a few mods.

Last edited:
crossbow said:
Mikey,

I think your a bit confused. If it fits, it fits...it won't magically tear through the fender one day. There isn't a "well it just barely fits, so something bad might happen one day". It does, or doesn't.

235/40/17 fits, and there is still room. (It fits regardless of ride height) The question is will the 245 squeeze in there, which hasn't been proven yet. If it does, it'll really help curtail the curb weight of the car and pay massive dividends in performance :).

If you think 245/40 is crazy...talk to the rx8 guys who put 275 hoosiers on their 18x8's.

The 245 is the one I was questioning, according to what I understand from your post, even you have speculation of if it will fit or not.

Well it fits...but not with a 45 profile. You have to run a 40. Also it will depend on the individual tire whether it works or not.

But stretch is now running 245/45/16 Toyo RA-1's in the front and 225/45/16 RA-1's in the rear.

Otaking is trying some R-Comp 245/45/16's all around this weekend, so we'll get information back from it. Def looks like its going to work.

Seems when you get to the really wide rubber, height becomes an issue as much as size.

After the next track event, I'm surely going to need new tires, so I'll have tons of photos and info on whether it works on my 17x8 +48's. I'm now 99% sure it will.

Back