Mazda5 on USA website

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
Got an e-mail today that the 5 will be arriving this summer. I then made my way to ww.mazdausa.com to check it out further. There's not an abundance of info, but there is an interactive tour.

www.mazdausa.com > vehicles > upcoming > mazda5

Last edited:
just thought i'd offer a little personal reflection while i was inspecting the 5.

impressive:
-standard 17 inch wheels
-standard front side air bags and curtains for all rows
-standard ABS
-optional manual

really really disappointing:
-rear seats don't appear to be removable
-front seat doesn't fold flat
-taillights are too big/awkward-shaped

eting_pro5 said:
just thought i'd offer a little personal reflection while i was inspecting the 5.

impressive:
-standard 17 inch wheels
-standard front side air bags and curtains for all rows
-standard ABS
-optional manual

really really disappointing:
-rear seats don't appear to be removable
-front seat doesn't fold flat
-taillights are too big/awkward-shaped

I'd add:

IMPRESSIVE: Seating for 6 in that small package with some room for luggage? Yay!!

DISSAPOINTING: 4 speed Auto transmission only (so it seems) > will probably suck on MPG like our P5 does.

On the tails - I feel ya... even though - I think with that back, it was the only choice to keep the edgy (non-minivan) look. I looked on the UK site and it seems like US tails will look better than UK ones (IMHO at least) - go figure.

eting_pro5 said:
Got an e-mail today that the 5 will be arriving this summer. I then made my way to ww.mazdausa.com to check it out further. There's not an abundance of info, but there is an interactive tour.

www.mazdausa.com>vehicles>upcoming>mazda5

I saw that site a few days ago but didn't mention it as I figured you all already knew about it.

I also picked up a Mazda5 brochure at a local dealer when I went to look again at the Mazda3 and the Mazda6. It's the same one that someone scanned in before, but it was nice to have it in hand and look at the pretty pictures. :)

Oh, also forgot, there's an interactive Quicktime panorama of the Mazda5 at the Paris auto show at:

http://www.mazdamotorshows.com/paris2004/en/fullscreen_mazda5.html

What I liked about this is that it shows a number of people around the vehicle, giving me a better sense of the dimensions.

I like the picture, as my main concern was that it might be too high and seem too much like a regular minivan. I did have the following description, but still nice to see it isn't that tall:

"With an overall length of 4,505 mm (177 inches), width of 1,755 mm (69.1 inches), height of 1,615 mm (63.6 inches) and a wheelbase of 2,750 mm (108 inches), the Mazda5 manages to deliver the roomy comfort of a space wagon, while limiting overall size. For reference, the length exceeds the compact Mazda3 five door model by just 85 mm (3.35 inches), the height by 150 mm (5.91 inches); while the width is the same on both cars. Despite the long wheelbase, the Mazda5 features an excellent minimum turning radius of just 5.3 meters, making it remarkably easy for any driver to manoeuvre in tight situations."

Cool, thanks for the info Kaian! So at 5.3 meters that's about 17.4 ft if I converted correctly. Does anyone know the turning radii for the P5 or Mazda3? Having a 5 speed mtx available is already making me drool about this car, however, my only concern left is how well this thing can handle. Although its not very fast or big, I love my P5 because it just turns on a dime at a moments notice. The Mazda5 *should* be a bit faster than the P5 (157 v. 130, but don't know how the weight difference is gonna factor in yet) , but if it can make turns somewhat near what the P5 is capable of doing, then this may very well be my next car.

RobMP5 said:
Cool, thanks for the info Kaian! So at 5.3 meters that's about 17.4 ft if I converted correctly. Does anyone know the turning radii for the P5 or Mazda3?

There's got to be something wrong with that turning circle. According to Edmunds web site, the circle for the Mazda3 is 34.1 ft, the Toyota Matrix is 36.8 ft., and the Scion xB is 36 ft. I have no idea how the Mazda5 can only be 17.4 ft.

A nice surprise for me is the height comparison:
Mazda5 - 63.6"
Mazda3 - 57.7"
Toyota Matrix - 61.6"
Scion xB - 64.6"

The Mazda5 is actually an inch shorter in height than the xB. It's very much a "tall wagon" rather than a "short minivan" which is important to me.

Last edited:
Kaian said:
There's got to be something wrong with that turning circle. According to Edmunds web site, the circle for the Mazda3 is 34.1 ft, the Toyota Matrix is 36.8 ft., and the Scion xB is 36 ft. I have no idea how the Mazda5 can only be 17.4 ft.

A nice surprise for me is the height comparison:
Mazda5 - 63.6"
Mazda3 - 57.7"
Toyota Matrix - 61.6"
Scion xB - 64.6"

The Mazda5 is actually an inch shorter in height than the xB. It's very much a "tall wagon" rather than a "short minivan" which is important to me.

Well that depends on what we are measuring... the turning radius is only half of the distance that it needs to turn, for the whole circle you need to double it, so that would put it a little less than 35 feet. All I can say is WOW! Sorry for any confusion

Edit: Just looking at this closer, if I got a Mazda5 I could rag on my friend who has an xB with an auto. I can hear it now: "My 5 speed VAN handles better than your truck-looking, suv Echo based car!!" :D

Last edited:
RobMP5 said:
Well that depends on what we are measuring... the turning radius is only half of the distance that it needs to turn, for the whole circle you need to double it, so that would put it a little less than 35 feet. All I can say is WOW! Sorry for any confusion

I have obviously forgotten all my high school mathematics lessons. :) Thanks for setting me straight.

Good and Not so good

Maybe the rear "bench" seat can't be removed, but see pics : the rear backrest seems to fold flat to the same level as the floor (rear floor level seems higher to leave space for the spare wheel).

As for the rear lights, I think the bigger the better to avoid those morons that say "I didn't see you" after they rear end you...while your foot was on the brakes and the hazards were on. Ask Misbehave...

Attachments

• RearView.bmp
    703.2 KB · Views: 349
  • SideView.bmp
    703.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
who wants to bet some 16 year old kid will be slapping jdm 'premacy' badges on his mom's new 5 :D

Back