Anyone know - will Mazda5 Auto have a CVT?

Hmmm.. somewhat answering my own question...

The "press release" thread on this site mentions only the "4 speed auto".

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=83472

It's possible those are specs for Euro version only though as it mentions a 2.0 diesel engine too?

Too bad if true for US :( They'll probably pull a trick like they did with Mazda6, offer a 5 speed auto in a year later. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:
Designing and building a new tranny is expensive, so manufacturers typically have tranny families that can be mated to one (or possibly more) engine families. So Mazda won't design a CVT just for the Mazda5, the tranny would also be used on other applications using the same engine family (e.g. Mazda3, Mazda6, and a few others).

For now, Mazda only has a 4-speed auto tranny for the engine family that the Mazda5 2.3l is part of. Note I used the words 'for now', I may have more info in a couple of months. But it's not a CVT, and no guarantees it would be placed on a Mazda5 anytime soon.

wongpres said:
For now, Mazda only has a 4-speed auto tranny for the engine family that the Mazda5 2.3l is part of. Note I used the words 'for now', I may have more info in a couple of months. But it's not a CVT, and no guarantees it would be placed on a Mazda5 anytime soon.

You are right... I thought they added the 5 speed auto for Mazda 6 in 2005, but it seems I was confused - they added the 6 speed Auto for "s" 6'es...

Thanks!

the new 6 speed automatic is now used in all Ford/Mazda/Jaguar's Duratec-based 3.0L V6 engine cars (05 6s, Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego, Jaguar S-Type?)

I read it over on Mazda 6 forums that a new Mazda6 (refresh that is coming out) 2.3 ATX version is equipped with a new 5 speed tranny. No more 4 speed for 2.3 engine!! Anyone heard of this coming over to NA and being put into the 5?

The 5-speed auto won't initially be available for the Mazda 5, but possibly as soon as the '07 N. American-spec Mazda5.

Back